PDA

View Full Version : Latest Market Trends

Eden Lights
03-14-2007, 06:18 PM
Anyone using the latest products and wish to share some feedback: Led's, Xenon lamps, UPB controls, & etc.

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-14-2007, 08:07 PM
I just had a LED spot light designed for me by a manufacturer (I can't mention or it will be taken off the board) that I am very excited about. 3000 kelvin, 20 degree spread 12 watt, voltage regulated, and annodized. I am specifying it on a huge job. I had 5 manufacturers attempt the product. Most of them came real close, the one we decided on is a beast though.

And, oh man, I can't think of the name of those clocks...I want to say atom clocks but thats not it...you know the clocks that keep time no matter what...oh crap...help me out here...is it atomic?? nooo that doesnt sound right!!! But I have some contractors using them now in their transfomers for a timer.

Thats all I got for now.

Team-Green L&L
03-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Atomic Clock was correct.

seolatlanta
03-14-2007, 09:27 PM
I ordered a starter kit from this company - www.controlscape.net

Firefly told me about it and it seems really cool- a landscape light specific X-10 style system. The main difference between the 2 is that this shoots a 40 volt charge through the home system so the signal is much easier found, as opposed to a 5 volt signal from X-10.

It also seems that the clock is easier to set and more homeowner friendly-I will keep you posted on how it works.

Eden Lights
03-14-2007, 11:55 PM
I just had a LED spot light designed for me by a manufacturer (I can't mention or it will be taken off the board) that I am very excited about. 3000 kelvin, 20 degree spread 12 watt, voltage regulated, and annodized. I am specifying it on a huge job.

3000 Kelvin would be a excellent color, what will the warranty on fixture and electronics be? We get price lists from yall from time to time, do you install also?

Eden Lights
03-15-2007, 12:10 AM
UPB has been huge for us, with over 1000 UPB devices installed. We have several of all the UPB schedulers in the field: PCS TEC timer, Simply-Automated Scheduler, ControlScape, HAI panels, and WebMountain,dubed the OLP timer. The ControlScape unit is really a homerun for exterior lighting applications: an excellent feature set and ultra reliable without the steep learning curve of all the other units. We installed two this week, my 8 year old daughter programmed the scheduler and mated the modules at our house the night before each time.

af7850
03-15-2007, 01:06 AM
Please explain, what is the great advantage of these units? I took a few minutes to browse through the ControlScape site. While it is pretty cool in the techie sort of way, I just don't see a huge advantage here. I mean, is it realy that difficult to walk outside or downstairs and change the timer at the transformer?

One thing that I am very interested in though is the LED lighting. I am getting ready to jump into the lighting business in the next few weeks, and I think that this could be big for us. Being in the midwest, our "cutting edge" seems to be a couple years behind the rest of the country, and I believe that I would be the first in my area to use LED. Plus, I plan to pomote the superior efficiency that my designs offer, and this would fall right into line with my other features.

So, please "sell" me on these UPB units, and if anyone is finding success in LED lighting I'd love to hear about it.

Eden Lights
03-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Please explain, what is the great advantage of these units? I took a few minutes to browse through the ControlScape site. While it is pretty cool in the techie sort of way, I just don't see a huge advantage here. I mean, is it realy that difficult to walk outside or downstairs and change the timer at the transformer?

You should think about where you want to be in the market with your new business? If you are thinking about LED's you are targeting the top few percent as of right now. The clients that will be in that market don't want to hear anything about a system that requires them walk all over the property or basement playing with the controls.

seolatlanta
03-15-2007, 08:19 AM
Eden Lights-

So you have used a lot of the ControlScape stuff?

I cant wait to try it.

Dave

High Performance Lighting
03-15-2007, 08:37 AM
"I just don't see a huge advantage here. I mean, is it realy that difficult to walk outside or downstairs and change the timer at the transformer?"

Multiple transformer projects which need simultaneous switching
astronomical timer
battery backup
control of the system from a remote location
Do you think your client is going to be happy with you when he has to crawl under the built in BBQ to change a time setting
Scenes
Dimming capabilities
and more

Are you convinced now?

Pro-Scapes
03-15-2007, 09:03 AM
let alone try to get a client to figure out how to change the timers without getting yourself a call back. FOLD has a new in trans astronomical timer for in trans applications and its half the price of the MDL units.

going to try one here at home first.

seolatlanta
03-15-2007, 01:10 PM
Hey Billy

Where is that on the site? I tried to find it but couldnt-or maybe I did and just dont know we're talking about the same thing.

Thanks
Dave

Pro-Scapes
03-15-2007, 01:44 PM
They are new I dont think they are on the site yet

Half the cost of the cast mdl timers
a third the cost of the kichler dig timers..

Gonna swap out 2 next week to at accounts that are real cool. Just told em its new and I need to try it so they will get upgraded free and if its unreliable i will swap it back

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-16-2007, 08:25 AM
I disagree with the stmt about LEDs only being for the top clients. Who doesnt want to appear to be the "green" landscape lighting guy in the world today. 50,000 hour fixtures, low consumption of energy, resulting in a smaller transformer. I think LED is for everyone who cares for the planet and thats an easy sell..."you care about cutting energy costs right?"...who can say no...I think in years past LEDs were out because clients didn't want their house to look like papa smurf's house.

That being said there are LEDs out there that aren't worth crap...I mean I work with some great manufacturers like BK, Hadco, HK, Lumiere, etc...and I would sell some of their products...you need to find an LED light that works, works well, works well over time and one that the MFR is going to stand behind for years.

Eden Lights
03-16-2007, 10:04 AM
We have done a design for a home that will fall under LEED status, we looked at everything under a microscope for this project: LED's, Photovoltaic systems, and etc. In the end we achieved requirements with standard halogen lamp sources, Voltage regulating transformers, and automated lighting controls. The customer had certain payback goals for all the increased costs and the LED's didn't even come close to those requirements.
While I play with LED's all the time, the numbers just don't add up yet.

(LED Fixtures averaged 400% more in cost in our research and only saved about 30% in energy savings compared to the standard system.)

Eden Lights
03-16-2007, 10:06 AM
I disagree with the stmt about LEDs only being for the top clients. Who doesnt want to appear to be the "green" landscape lighting guy in the world today. 50,000 hour fixtures, low consumption of energy, resulting in a smaller transformer. I think LED is for everyone who cares for the planet and thats an easy sell..."you care about cutting energy costs right?"...who can say no...I think in years past LEDs were out because clients didn't want their house to look like papa smurf's house.

That being said there are LEDs out there that aren't worth crap...I mean I work with some great manufacturers like BK, Hadco, HK, Lumiere, etc...and I would sell some of their products...you need to find an LED light that works, works well, works well over time and one that the MFR is going to stand behind for years.

Warranty on the electronics?

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-16-2007, 10:21 AM
LEDs should only be costing about 200% more...plus take into consideration $10 or so per year for bulbs over, well however long the fixture lasts which will be about the same time 2 things happen, the fixtures have to be replace or the home owner has moved....

so lets see...$10, client cost, for the bulb plus the time you are charging to service the bulb, and lets assume you are getting 5-10k hours out of your bulbs compared to 50k hours from an LED...

I am not mathy enough to do all the numbers but it may or may not work out...I think its a mistake not to try though...there are alot of people who years ago wouldnt have considered themselves environmentalist who now do...

As far as the warranty, i have negotiated a deal with the mfr strictly because of the volume...I'm not sure when this fixture hits the industry what the warranty wil be but I'd say 5 years

And when you think LED think about this forum...people complaining about voltage issues, vibrations, broken bulbs from kids hitting the lights, loose sockets, corroding sockets, etc...nothing like that to worry with LED...