PDA

View Full Version : New deere with possible problems

mastinson
03-14-2007, 08:20 PM
I purchased a new LA100 a couple of weeks ago and noticed today that there is allot of play in the back wheels and rear end and a slight jerking and clicking noise during take off in all forward gears. I think the problem is the spacers that John Deere uses on the axles between the rear end and wheels are not long enough and allows to much play. There is so much play I can grab the back of the mower and scoot it to one side and there will be about 1 1/2 - 2 inches of play between the spacer and wheel, I can then do the same and scoot the mower over on the other side and have 1 1/2 - 2 inches of space on the other side between the spacer and wheel.

Is this normal for this model mower and nothing to worry about or do I have a faulty rear end or improper axle spacers

FIXDISS
03-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Return it to dealer immediately ! You should not have this problem with a new unit regardless.

dutch1
03-14-2007, 09:23 PM
As fixdiss says, back to the dealer yesterday. No excuse for the sloppiness that you indicate.

Dutch

mastinson
03-15-2007, 05:53 PM
Everything is fine the play is just the rear wheels sliding on the axle not the rear end and the jerk is a combination of the new drive belt and me letting off the clutch to sudden, my old MTD had a feature where when the clutch/brake was released it would gradually come up this new mower does not have this feature and I am going to have to learn to quit popping the clutch.

mastinson
03-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Here is a pic of the setup

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q249/mastinson/mp36849un14sep05av0.gif

Jay Ray
03-16-2007, 12:34 AM
It's probably just like a Murray. Once the wheel rusts onto the axle good it ain't no fun taking it back apart. Just kidding:laugh:

Sounds like the wrong spacer was put on or something was left off. Me I'd go to Lowes and get some spacers in the hardware department and cut them to make the track of the rear wheels as wide as possible for the day when it goes on a slope.

mastinson
03-16-2007, 09:32 PM
I checked it out again this evening with a tape measure and I was a little off, I grabbed and pulled both back wheels out as far as they would go and there is really only about 1/4" - 1/2" of play/space in each back wheel between the sleeve. The clicking was cured by simply putting a little grease on the washers because I determined it was the sleeve and the washers banging together a little. I think everything is probably perfectly normal and for some reason JD just designs the wheels to have a little side to side play on the axle for some reason.

The only way to tell on mine is to grab the rear of the mower and and really shove the mower side to side and it appears the axle shaft is moving in and out of the rearend but in reality it is just the axle moving in and out of the wheels.