PDA

View Full Version : Kohler 12.5 Command

Dbaty
03-14-2007, 10:23 PM
I'm having battery charging problems. I've checked power to the rectifer and there is none. So I removed the flywheel and the charging stator has alot of dirt and rust build up. Could this be the problem why my battery is not charging and I'm not getting any voltage reading from the wire going to the rectifier? I thought if anything, I should at least have a weak reading. Thank you.

khouse
03-14-2007, 11:56 PM
Remove the 2 outside wires from the rectifier. Set your volt meter to AC volts. At high idle there should be around 28 volts. If not then the stator may be bad. The center wire should have battery voltage.

Dbaty
03-18-2007, 09:33 AM
If the Charging Stator is covered with grass and dirt and some corrison, will that still effect amount of output to the rectifier?

khouse
03-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Probably not but clean it anyway.

thecrankshaft
03-19-2007, 12:30 PM
If there is no voltage to the center wire of the rectifier-regulator, then you have a wiring problem between that wire and the battery. Trace the wire back and see what the problem is. The rectifier will not charge unless it is "Excited" with voltage.

VegetiveSteam
03-24-2007, 10:23 AM
When you say you checked power to the regulator what were you checking? Which wire or wires? Also when you check for stator output at the two white wires at the regulator leave the connector plugged into the regulator and run the engine at full rpm. Sometimes if there is no load on the charging system your AC test will show good when it's actually not. It should be a minimum of 28 volts AC. A good working charging system typically runs somewhere between 35 and 40 volts AC but could be as high as 50. Think about this too. The regulator needs around 5 volts DC from the battery to excite it and make it work. If you aren't getting any battery voltage to the regulator then the regulator can't work. But maybe more importantly if you have no voltage getting to the regulator from the battery that means you have no connection to the battery for some reason. If you have no connection to the battery you couldn't get a charge to the battery even if the regulator didn't require battery voltage to make it work. You're not connected to it. It would be just like sitting a battery on the work bench to charge it and turning on the battery charger but never connecting the battery charger to the battery. So first things first. Get battery voltage to the regulator. When you tested for battery voltage at the center wire of the regulator, did you have the key switch turned ON?

Dbaty
03-31-2007, 03:16 PM
I found a melted wire and that has solved the Battery charging problem. Thank you everyone who took the time to respond to my questions. It seems the older I get (almost 54) the harder I need to think things out and your help did the trick. Again, thank you very much.

khouse
03-31-2007, 09:20 PM
Now you have to figure out how that wire melted??????