PDA

View Full Version : Have you had theft?

packer101
03-14-2007, 10:43 PM
Just out of curosity have any of you had problems with theft of trucks, or equiptment. Quite a few guys around here have had small tools, mowers, even trailers stolen.... most recently a guy had his dump truck stolen, he got it back, but the plow and radio were gone. have you had any problems like this?

troblandscape
03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I had three redmax backpacks stolen a few years back, I alway put tounge locks on all my trailers and put a club on my box truck with all equipment inside.

RedMax Man
03-15-2007, 11:09 PM
Thankfully No, Had one close suspiciouse thing happen at a job a couple years ago, we thought a guy was trying to take our stuff. Don't really know, my buddy saw it. My dad had a very expencive tool stolen off our property cost over $1000 and was brand new.

Metro Lawn
03-15-2007, 11:49 PM
Only thing we had was someone got in the yard and stole the shifter plate and shift off of our loader while on it's trailer. I found out why when I called to see how much to replace it..$1900.00 ouch.. We installed 3 cameras with night vision and 15 motion sensors in the yard now. I can watch from my phone or computer. If a motion sensor trips, it pages me. I can look to see if it is someone that is supposed to be there and if not I am on the phone with the cops within 30 seconds. Plus my response time to the yard with a loaded firearm is only a couple of minutes...rofl The cameras also record and store up to 2 weeks of video.

mow king
03-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Only thing we had was someone got in the yard and stole the shifter plate and shift off of our loader while on it's trailer. I found out why when I called to see how much to replace it..$1900.00 ouch.. We installed 3 cameras with night vision and 15 motion sensors in the yard now. I can watch from my phone or computer. If a motion sensor trips, it pages me. I can look to see if it is someone that is supposed to be there and if not I am on the phone with the cops within 30 seconds. Plus my response time to the yard with a loaded firearm is only a couple of minutes...rofl The cameras also record and store up to 2 weeks of video.

How much did that set up cost you if you dont mind me asking? I'd love to set up something where it pages my phone..Does a particular company offer that software?

Thanks!

Chilehead
03-16-2007, 12:16 AM
A few years back, I had my string trimmers stolen. The thief must have had a cordless reciprocating saw with him because he cut the rack right off the trailer! My equipment was locked to the rack. This goes to show how important it is to budget for theft occurrences.

Kepple Services
03-16-2007, 12:47 AM
Just small things like angle grinder, brooms, the operators manual out of my bobcats, etc.. nothing large like my skid or trucks.

FearThisDeere
03-16-2007, 03:03 PM
I've been pretty lucky. I had a sledge hammer stolen out of my bed once. Then I had a old POS trimmer in my bed on a seperate occasion that was headed to the dump the next day stolen in borad daylight at a grocery store. I bet they had a nice surprise when they got it home and found that it was complete junk!

J&R
03-16-2007, 08:03 PM
I had 2 trimmers stole a few years back.
2 years ago 2 guys tried to steal 2 trimmers of my rack. 1 38 shot no more than 1 foot in the ground next to them stopped that.

TXNSLighting
03-16-2007, 08:36 PM
ive had one trimmer stolen off the racks. but the funny thing, the old one got stolen, the brand new one was right under it. and someone almost stole my trailer, but i was turnin on my street when it happened. they were outta there quick! They got a good headstart, cuz i stoped to see if they were stealing it, and sure enough the lock was on the ground, then i took off after them, and they were gone by that time. ive got an even better lock now, and the trailer no longer stays on the street.

Woody82986
03-16-2007, 11:15 PM
I didn't know you almost got your trailer stolen? When was this?

Chilehead
03-17-2007, 12:32 AM
There is a great in-your-face solution to the problem of theft that I am currently working on. It's called jerry-rigging a used car alarm to sound when small equipment is taken off the rack. In an automobile or house, the alarm is silent when the circuit is complete. Once it's broken, the alarm activates. Likewise, I am developing a system that allows for a complete circuit when equipment is on a rack, but activates once it is removed. Simple, effective, cheap, and efficient. Ba-da-bing, ba-da-bang, ba-da boom!

TXNSLighting
03-17-2007, 08:33 PM
theres an idea! i may have to work on somethin like that.

dcondon
03-17-2007, 08:42 PM
The only thing that we have had stolen was a skill saw that an x employee took:hammerhead:

ATL Lawn
03-21-2007, 02:43 PM
2 echo blowers

Duekster
03-21-2007, 02:45 PM
Someone stold a gas can off the trailer. Been luck so far.

RedWingsDet
03-25-2007, 05:23 AM
Trailer broken into, I had equipment in there, just handhelds on the racks across from the side door, but since it was fall and the dump closed early I had my entire 20ft trailer full of leaves, They broke the door open, and realized it would take too long for them to handle since they would have to get an entire trailerfull of leaves out by using the side door and left it alone.
After that little incident I took it as a sign and started storing it elsewhere, good thing I did because they came back to the same place I was storing it at (after I left there) and stole an entire trailer full of equipment, they prolly wanted to get me back for giving them a hard time with the leaves, rofl.