PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer with wrong doors...

Rizzo
03-14-2007, 09:59 PM
After searching everywhere last fall for trailers in the $3000 range I found my used 7x16 enclosed but it has barn doors. Me just starting the business didn't think pulling out and hooking up ramps at every stop would be a big deal. Well, in just a few months of this I'm sick of it and it kills efficiency not to mention the heaviest rated atv ramps are still starting to bend.

My question is this, should I fabricate a steel folding ramp inside the barn doors (about $350), order the haulmark factory ramp door kit and ditch the barn doors ($1100) or just sell it and find one with the ramp on it? It really is a pain to use the aluminum atv ramps each time not to mention I can't just flip the door up when I'm mowing out of sight of the trailer for security. Maybe I'm being to whiney and need to suck it up. My OCD is kicking in again....lol

ECS
03-14-2007, 10:02 PM
A welder here made a fold up ramp for the inside of the trailer like you are describing. You open the barn doors and lower the folding ramp. It was actaully a pretty sweet setup he made.

Rizzo
03-14-2007, 10:10 PM
I designed one today that I think would work well and would use a garage spring lift assist like on the open trailers. My neighbor said he would weld it for me for $100 and I priced the material at about $250.

dwc
03-14-2007, 11:07 PM
I had my barn doors welded together and the hinges put at the bottom and made a ramp door out of them. You don't really know it unless you know it's been done.

Rizzo
03-14-2007, 11:19 PM
Wow, I never thought of that. What did you do to make them strong enough to drive on?

Rizzo
03-15-2007, 07:44 AM
It's sold!

bill9009
06-16-2008, 10:28 AM
I had my barn doors welded together and the hinges put at the bottom and made a ramp door out of them. You don't really know it unless you know it's been done.

Do you have any pictures of this?

South Florida Lawns
06-16-2008, 02:48 PM
sell the thing and get a real trailer. I could not imagine opening 2 doors then pulling out 2 ramps at every stop. That would get old fast.

Remember trailers hold their value so I'm sure you can get good money for yours if its still in good condition.

Petr51488
06-16-2008, 07:20 PM
sell the thing and get a real trailer. I could not imagine opening 2 doors then pulling out 2 ramps at every stop. That would get old fast.

Remember trailers hold their value so I'm sure you can get good money for yours if its still in good condition.

Yep, no point in saving some money that will end up screwing you in the end.

k911lowe
06-16-2008, 07:26 PM
After searching everywhere last fall for trailers in the $3000 range I found my used 7x16 enclosed but it has barn doors. Me just starting the business didn't think pulling out and hooking up ramps at every stop would be a big deal. Well, in just a few months of this I'm sick of it and it kills efficiency not to mention the heaviest rated atv ramps are still starting to bend.

My question is this, should I fabricate a steel folding ramp inside the barn doors (about $350), order the haulmark factory ramp door kit and ditch the barn doors ($1100) or just sell it and find one with the ramp on it? It really is a pain to use the aluminum atv ramps each time not to mention I can't just flip the door up when I'm mowing out of sight of the trailer for security. Maybe I'm being to whiney and need to suck it up. My OCD is kicking in again....lol

sell it and get the one that does the job.always works for me.i got tired of pulling the ramps mighty quick.

dwc
07-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Do you have any pictures of this?

I don't have a good pic but I will try to get one. My trailer is pretty heavy steel so it was easy to do. If you have aluminum or light steel it might be harder.

bill9009
07-02-2008, 08:15 PM
I just went ahead and made my own ramp, not pretty but it works.

kleankutslawn
07-02-2008, 10:15 PM
how much did it cost you

LawnProLandCare
07-03-2008, 07:11 PM
I just went ahead and made my own ramp, not pretty but it works.

same thing i have on my wells cargo.