PDA

View Full Version : what's the use? sand

S&J Striping&Sealcoating
03-14-2007, 11:31 PM
I have been sealing for 4 years now; I started as a striper 12 years ago.

I have done my own research with various applications and surface conditions with and without sand. My findings? the sealed surface with sand wears quicker than the side without sand. All applications and surface conditions were sealed using 2 coats of sealer

I understand the need for skid resistance and extra traction in rainy conditions. I have also heard the horror stories of slips and falls leading to lawsuits. I haven't had a slip and fall case, although I know fellow contractors that have and I believe that all happen to occur in rainy weather.

My questions goes out to all the "old hats". Have you done your own research? what are your findings?

Through reading this forum I am seeing seemingly better sealers...even the bare RP355e/ATSM D5727 are better. At least in comparing the spec sheets that I am seeing. If I had the room for a HUGE storage tank I wouldn't worry, but having to go to the plant to get my sealer, I am limited to what is available to me. I have used both GEMSeal and Sealmaster(they are what is available in bulk in my area) I have the option of federal and polytar from Gemseal and coal tar concentrate from Sealmaster. I am all about providing quality services and products to my customers so, what does it say when every other manufacturer in the country offers more than 2 options for sealer and no asphalt sealer. In my experience asphalt sealer is better than coal tar and more environmentally friendly

Just another sealcoater trying to get more knowledge...the more you know about the industry and products...the better service you can provide ya know?

toddsasphalt
04-15-2007, 10:58 PM
In my experience the addition of sand is used to protect the sealer from the initial tire weight of a vehicle. A good ratio of sand per gallon at a minimum should be around three pounds per gallon and higher for commercial parking lots. The sand will cause markings which will naturally disapear after three weeks. If you want to be a top quality sealcoater, you have to consider the use of additives. They will add cost to your formula but they make a world of difference in results. I would never use a base product that does not meet a Federal Spec.

toddsasphalt
04-15-2007, 11:02 PM
If you want asphalt sealer ( Oil Based) contact

McCann Shields
412 921-2103

They manufacture oil base sealer. They are located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

EWS
04-18-2007, 09:17 PM
sand is good for parking lots and driveways that are really ruff the sand gets into cracks and it makes the seal job hold up alot better. also for traction. just dont use too much sand I usually uses 4 50lb bags per 300 gallons

Budget
04-19-2007, 09:24 AM
Are you mixing sand or Black beauty?
Sand will roll out faster.

Branching Out
04-19-2007, 09:31 PM
There is NO SUCH THING AS OIL BASED SEALER!!!!!. If it is. Watch out. By definition, sealer is supposed to protect asphalt from oil. So, why would there be oil in it. OIL EATS ASPHALT!!!!!

A good sand mis is 3-5 lbs per gallon of sealer. In order to prorly use sand "black beauty" you must use additives and it must be mixed properly. You also must have ydrolic aggitation on your tank....

I don't seal without it......

Branching Out
04-19-2007, 09:34 PM
There is NO SUCH THING AS OIL BASED SEALER!!!!!. If it is. Watch out. By definition, sealer is supposed to protect asphalt from oil. So, why would there be oil in it. OIL EATS ASPHALT!!!!!

A good sand mix is 3-5 lbs per gallon of sealer. In order to properly use sand or "black beauty" you must use additives, the additives must be mixed properly. You also must have hydraulic agitation on your tank....

I don't seal without sand......

toddsasphalt
04-20-2007, 12:26 AM
Actually you are right and wrong with you statement about oil based sealer. There is a product called oil based driveway sealer. They add a small percentage of gilsonite and they sometimes refer to the product as gilsonite driveway sealer. It is manufactured with a high melt asphalt, mineral spirits and gilsonite. Eventhough they do call it oil based sealer, you are right, there is not any oil in the product. This product is sold throughout Canada and a few states in America. Because of the high V.O.C. content many states in the north east have outlawed the sale and use of gilsonite based sealer.

toddsasphalt
04-20-2007, 12:35 AM
I prefer to use fine grade black beauty sand. I do agree a good mix consists of the proper amount of additives and between three to five pounds per gallon. In my opinion, the fine grade does not clog up my tips as often as the other grades. There are a lot of contactors in my area who also use siica sand. I have never used silica sand but they seem to like the result. The sand will naturally leaf out of the sealer in about a month either way.