PDA

View Full Version : Guys with dump beds and 360 degree amber lighting

nobagger
03-15-2007, 07:43 PM
We just got a Downeaster dump bed and I already have a really nice and bright daul Whelen strobe light unit but it has the cig. lighter plug in. My question is how do some of you guys wire the light to a switch thats located in the cab. My first guess was just run a ton of wire from the light, along the bed and into the cab, but again thats a lot of wire and I might loose a few volts due to the length of wire, any thoughts?

Metro Lawn
03-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Strobe lights pull very little amp power so it should not hurt to run all that wire.

desii
03-16-2007, 12:33 AM
I have a crew cab with a 10' dump. Ran the wire to the back of the truck from the front of the cab, following the frame. Then, I ran it up the rails of the dump to the front and then up the front wall of the bed. I think I used about 30' +/- of wire and have no problems with the function of the dual strobe mounted on the cab protector.

If you think about it, if you have a truck pulling a trailer (say 18' or so) usually there is only one wire for all of the marker lights and that's never a problem (voltage wise).

I think (know) you'll be fine running it like I did.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

nobagger
03-16-2007, 07:20 AM
Thanks guys! and I'll have to post some pics when we're done.