PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to keep a schedule?

All Pro Lawn Care
03-15-2007, 11:03 PM
I have been using excel but I have started to get more customers. I just bought quick book pro but have not found a place to schedule all my jobs per day. I'm think about just writing them on a calander or something. Just wanting to know what you guys do to keep up with who you are mowing when. also looking to hire a driver soon and will need to have soemthing for him to follow.

Thanks aplc

ooo
03-15-2007, 11:08 PM
I use Excel also. If you can write macros, its very useful.

All Pro Lawn Care
03-15-2007, 11:16 PM
my gf is having trouble doing the weekly mows/ bi weekly what do u mean by macros??? i was doing everything in excel. i just need some place where i can go look what i need to do that day

All Pro Lawn Care
03-15-2007, 11:20 PM
I found macro in excel. could u try to expain how to kinda go about this. she should be able to figure it out.. thanks

mike007
03-16-2007, 03:26 AM
Unless Im mistaken a macro takes a certain "action" and does it automatically once certain criteria are met. Microsoft Office online has a good website and will answer any questions

aric43085
03-16-2007, 03:40 AM
Have you ever used Microsoft outlook. It works great for my business.

Swampy
03-16-2007, 04:14 AM
old and reliable a calender is still the base of scheduling.

Perfect Lawn
03-16-2007, 06:33 AM
Lawn Pro Software Cheap and works real good.

Roger
03-16-2007, 06:50 AM
I use the "task" function on my Palm. You don't say how many clients. The "Task" function works well for me, but I only have about 45 on my list. I would think it would still work pretty well for many more.

A simple, low-tech way is a stack of index cards, with a hole/ring to keep them in order. Put a day-of-week card for each day (colored top, colored card, or some other way to denote different days) on the ring. Then make a card for each customer. Draw a line down the middle, on the left put the intended date to work, on the right, the actual day the work is done. Group every day's route together, put on the ring behind the d-o-w card. When every day is done, move the cards on the ring as necessary. If some customers are odd schedule, say every ten days, then they get shuffled to the right day.

With either of these schemes, nobody gets overlooked. As the names appear, something has to be done with the name - either get the work done and move the name/card, or it keeps appearing on the top, waiting to be done.

These schemes are good for small operation, but would never work for a large operation. From my early experiences, the key is to never let anybody "slip through the cracks." Work with a scheme that requires you to deal with a name on the day the work is to be done.

This is one of those procedures in which often the simplest way is the best way.

MarcSmith
03-16-2007, 07:36 AM
I used QB for my billing, but for scheduling. I used excel.

allIdid was have the clinets listed vertically on a sheet of paper and each paper have 5 colums. One for every week of the month.

Each sheet of paper was one day. With a morning and afternoon run. So for a given month. I had 5 peices of paper. whichI kept in a three ring binder. This also served as my time card for the crews.

If a house was cut, the time of the cut was put in the column, if it was skipped, it was left blank. There was room to the righ of the column for any comments, (needs water, chinch bugs, ect...)

Also in the three ring binder was pics and serial numbers of all the equipment on the trailer, Insurance, Licence, pesticide cards, MSDS, Customer addy and phone numbers.

It kept the truck clutter down, and at the end of the day I cuold scan through real quick and see if I needed to call any clients about any notes I had taken.

BRAD ROMEO
03-16-2007, 08:10 AM
I have been using excel but I have started to get more customers. I just bought quick book pro but have not found a place to schedule all my jobs per day. I'm think about just writing them on a calander or something. Just wanting to know what you guys do to keep up with who you are mowing when. also looking to hire a driver soon and will need to have soemthing for him to follow.

Thanks aplc

l a w n p r o

haybaler
03-16-2007, 08:46 AM
Excell is great for mowing list. I started with all my lawns on one page, now I have one page for each day of mowing, I'll print them out for the week ahead every sunday. old fashioned day calenders are great for keeping track of other landscaping jobs.

GreenN'Clean
03-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Lawn Pro Software works for me

stumpslawncare
03-16-2007, 08:52 AM
Groundskeeper Pro

ooo
03-16-2007, 09:33 AM
Try this Excel doc. Just change your company info on the sheets that have it. There is 3 customers listed. You can add a few and mess around with it to get the hang of it. Just watch where you edit on some of the worksheets or you may delete functions. I know there is probably a few easier ways to go about things, but I just started teaching myself excel and get "lost" often.

http://www.ashleylandscaping.com/temp/sample.zip

or unzipped:

http://www.ashleylandscaping.com/temp/sample.xls

On some of the worksheets (first 4 from left to right) just enter your customer ID in and the names, addy, and etc will fill in.

Also, edit the macros named "CDO_Send_Make_Estimate" and "CDO_Send_Make_Invoice". When you select TOOLS/MACRO/MACROS/ you will see them, edit them. There will be notes in green where you have to edit..

The "Invoice" and "Estimate" sheets all are set up for printing. If you buy windowed envelopes, the addy's will all display in the windows.

MNBOY
03-16-2007, 10:53 AM
The calander in my Palm Pilot works perfect for me. I schedule each customer on a specific day at the beginning of the season and just hit the repeat button and it will schedule those customers the same day every week. If you need to change due to weather, ect you can quickly change the date without having to type the name again. Nothing to print off. Just grab the palm and go. At the end of the day just look at the palm to see what you did and bill your cutomers in QB. Takes only minutes and saves a bunch of time. Palm only cost me $100 for a basic one. Has everything I need on it though. If you get a ton of customers and crews, then I would get a scheduling program.

thes
03-16-2007, 11:08 AM
All I use is a paper with "Week A" listed on one half and "Week B" listed on the other half....using Microsoft Works Word Processing program. Kept on the computer, it's easy to add or delete customers.

Each week has my weeklys...and then the bi-weeklys are put in the alternate week.

It's simple. I print it out on the computer every other week.
I then write my times and any other extra work I do...next to the names.

This works great for the 50+ mowing accounts that I do solo for the week.
You guys with the bigger accounts all over creation would probably do better with a big scheduling program. :)

eshreve1234
03-16-2007, 11:20 AM
I use a large dry erase board.

JFF
03-16-2007, 12:29 PM
Try this Excel doc. Just change your company info on the sheets that have it. There is 3 customers listed. You can add a few and mess around with it to get the hang of it. Just watch where you edit on some of the worksheets or you may delete functions. I know there is probably a few easier ways to go about things, but I just started teaching myself excel and get "lost" often.

http://www.ashleylandscaping.com/temp/sample.zip

or unzipped:

http://www.ashleylandscaping.com/temp/sample.xls

On some of the worksheets (first 4 from left to right) just enter your customer ID in and the names, addy, and etc will fill in.

Also, edit the macros named "CDO_Send_Make_Estimate" and "CDO_Send_Make_Invoice". When you select TOOLS/MACRO/MACROS/ you will see them, edit them. There will be notes in green where you have to edit..

The "Invoice" and "Estimate" sheets all are set up for printing. If you buy windowed envelopes, the addy's will all display in the windows.

Awesome! Thanks!

MarcSmith
03-16-2007, 12:52 PM
I use a large dry erase board.

kinda hard to take it with you in the truck...:)

bullethead
03-16-2007, 04:33 PM
It's probably overkill right now, but QXpress is good. It's integrated with our Quickbooks Enterprise.

equinox
03-24-2007, 12:03 PM

Thanks aplc

I have an appointment next week with a certified Quick Books account she is going to be transfering all my info into Quick Books for me as well. I found this web site http://marketplace.intuit.com/AppCard/appinfo.asp?AppID=852 its called QXpress scheduling software it coinsides with Ouick Books it has everything exp. route scheduling, time management, material costs vs labour. As soon as I'm set up I'm most defenitly be going to get this!!!!!!!!!!
If you have a problem with this link just do a google search and enter either quick books or qxpress. Hope this helps!!:dancing:

Duekster
03-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I have an appointment next week with a certified Quick Books account she is going to be transfering all my info into Quick Books for me as well. I found this web site http://marketplace.intuit.com/AppCard/appinfo.asp?AppID=852 its called QXpress scheduling software it coinsides with Ouick Books it has everything exp. route scheduling, time management, material costs vs labour. As soon as I'm set up I'm most defenitly be going to get this!!!!!!!!!!
If you have a problem with this link just do a google search and enter either quick books or qxpress. Hope this helps!!:dancing:

I have been looking at that program. I am also considering the mobile version with wifi so me, my partner and crews can syn up to the PC at my house.

Telenav looks like a good option as well. I am not sure about how the cigular fleet managemet thing works but a sales rep is supposed to call me.

Vikings
03-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Have you ever used Microsoft outlook. It works great for my business.

Same here, it prints out nice, it syncs with Pocket PC..

"Ground Control"
03-25-2007, 09:59 AM
I use CLIP software, its a little bit expensive but it works really good and keeps track of everything.
www.clip.com