PDA

View Full Version : The never ending mulch discussion

starmow
03-16-2007, 12:58 AM
I am new to these boards, but stumbled upon them because I currently have a very....lets say dissatisfied customer. So, in an effort to ensure I am providing good/respectable services I am posting with you guys.

I just completed a mulch job of 6.5 yards with a mulch cost at $19.50/yd (not including delivery). I worked the job along with two guys. I did the usual clean up and edging and charged it at $80/yd. I threw in the fertilizer for the yard and flowerbeds for free. Most of the threads I have read seem to be from up north ... so assuming Texas is comparable does $80/yd seem unreasonable?

Also, she claims everybody troughs before mulching? Yes or No?

sicnj
03-16-2007, 01:10 AM
installed that seems to be a good price with bed edging sure .

All Pro Lawn Care
03-16-2007, 01:12 AM
I do it for 60 a yard but that is just buying it and installing it. nothing else! I get it for 19. If the job has alot of flowers or is complex then I will charge more. Right now I'm bidding on a 12 yard job and it would be 720 but it will prolly end up being more like 925 b/c of all the shrubs/flowers. So that would be close to your 80 a yard. I"m mulching the guy who helps me alot on sat. and we are doing his parents for 45 a yard. He thinks he is working for free and I still have my costs covered. i will prolly still pay him the 10 bucks an hour b/c in 4 hours it will still of put 200 plus in my pocket ?after all expenses. we have another job before. Are you really getting 50 plus bucks a yard in the woodlands???

All Pro Lawn Care
03-16-2007, 01:14 AM
there are crews running around here putting in 3 yards of mulch for 120 bucks. I think they are paying like 9 bucks for it thou. that is too cheap.

Trinity Lawn Care, LLC
03-16-2007, 01:17 AM
Some may say that sounds a little high, but I do not think that it is unreasonable. You said that you edged out the bed, you cleaned the bed. Did you Pre-Em? I think that in most places if someone said to me that they did $65 - $85 installed would be reasonable. Now, the question is I do not know your particular market. If your market only allows for $60 installed then yes I could see where a customer would think that $80 is a little high.

Also, the big question is did she know the price before you did the job? Did you tell her "we can do this job for $560" and she agreed before you even started? If yes, then what is her problem she agreed to it (did you get it in writing). If no, you should have had her agree to the job first.

There are people out there that think that something is unreasonable no matter what the price. Some just don't know better. Not that they are dumb they just don't know.

I had someone call me that wanted me to do a lawn renovation 3,000 sqft, a landscape install (transplant 5 day lillies, plant 3 hostas, plant 3 pansies, 1 dwarf Alberta spruce), clean a gutter, and cut down one tree limb. When I asked her what her budget was it was a like $200. Now, nice enough lady. Would love to help her out, but is this work within her budget. Not even close. Would she think that the price that I give her is unreasonable I would say "Absolutely Yes". Just My Thoughts:) :) :)

starmow
03-16-2007, 11:49 AM
True true about the budget problems!
Hey Allpro - I am not getting 50+ on yards...are you?
Thanks for the replies about the mulch, guys. It is a professional flowerbed with many plants, etc. Oh well.
As for the $40/yd HOW! I have heard that some people doing mulch jobs quote higher yards and put out less to make a little extra. I don't..but maybe that is how they can do $40/yd? Or maybe I am missing something!

dKoester
03-16-2007, 08:27 PM
I get mine for 10.50 and charge 75 to install. If someone charged for 10 yards and put in seven thats just dishonest and eventually they could find out by getting their beds measured. And if they do there goes your credibility, name and trust all up in smoke. What comes around goes around.

All Pro Lawn Care
03-16-2007, 11:28 PM
It will be a dump and run job tomorrow. there is nothing to it. there are flowers in one bed and that is it. the rest are all open. i will move the trailer from the street to the back of the driveway. 6 to 7 yards in less then 3 hours. where i get the mulch is less then 2 miles away. i will post how long it took tomorrow. He has been my best friend for years so i'm hooking his parents up. i would of done it for free if they paid for the mulch. If i get any calls from the woodlands area i will pass it along to u. I get them from that area every now and then. PM with your email or pnhone #.

NewHorizon's Land
03-17-2007, 08:34 AM
We charge $40 a yard for reg mulch installed nothing else. $80 bucks a yard seems fair considerign all the extras she got. Break it down to her and say this is what it would be had I charged you seperate.

All Pro Lawn Care
03-17-2007, 04:37 PM
2 hours 10 mins with everything cleaned up and back to the shop. 7 yards installed.

GreenN'Clean
03-17-2007, 06:56 PM
We pay 20 per yard for triple shredded here and 29 for dyed only wished I could get it for 9 bucks a yard

fiveoboy01
03-17-2007, 07:53 PM
You didn't really specify but I'm assuming she is dissatisfied with the price?

For the extras she recieved, I think 80/yd is pretty reasonable. Like someone else said, break it down and show her what she recieved for 80/yd as opposed to just the installation alone.

starmow
03-18-2007, 12:18 AM
That was an efficient installation! I am bidding on a 20 yd job for an island in a cul-de-sac...that would be my largest! Let me know what areas you work in Houston. I just dumped off a couple yards in the Jersey Village/290 area because the drive was killing my profit. My cell is 832-818-1959.

rgabbard
03-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Okay, I'm new to the whole mulch deal. I have someone who is going to get 18 yards of mulch, and they want to know how much I would charge to put it down. The thing is I have no clue.

starmow
03-20-2007, 11:17 AM
You should read some of the responses for mine. I got a lot of information. At any rate, I have found most companies around here are starting at $60/yd. I just picked up a 20yd job for a neighborhood...in a cul-de-sac... nothing major to work around and nothing really to prep. I also see the potential for more jobs. I think I am going to bid it at $58/YD so that I will hopefully fall just below the competition....and hopefully pick up a couple more jobs (mine includes materials). Does the job have a lot of plants to deal with? That can take a while longer. So...you are ONLY installing...nothing else?

rgabbard
03-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Yes I am only installing. I don't think there are too many plants to work around.

Shades of Green LService
03-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I am new to these boards, but stumbled upon them because I currently have a very....lets say dissatisfied customer. So, in an effort to ensure I am providing good/respectable services I am posting with you guys.

I just completed a mulch job of 6.5 yards with a mulch cost at $19.50/yd (not including delivery). I worked the job along with two guys. I did the usual clean up and edging and charged it at $80/yd. I threw in the fertilizer for the yard and flowerbeds for free. Most of the threads I have read seem to be from up north ... so assuming Texas is comparable does $80/yd seem unreasonable?

Also, she claims everybody troughs before mulching? Yes or No?

Never do anything for free.IMO
-Jay