PDA

View Full Version : Threads

mike007
03-16-2007, 03:38 AM
What do you guys wear when you give bids? Ive got shirts and hats ordered but they wont be here for a week and Im not waiting. Jeans polo shirt and a haircut? Do you guys dress up at all?(nice shirt, jeans) Im going every day until I get my goal which is 35 contracts. I try to focus on landscaping cuz its what I love but mowing seems to be more consistent for me. So what do you guys do?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Just dress nice but don't over do it. I showed up to give a bid one evening while my girlfriend and I were going out to dinner (not to fancy, slaks and a button shirt) and the I didn't feel right walking around with the customer like I couldn't think straight b/c I wasn't in my work colthes.

Flow Control
03-16-2007, 10:21 AM
my girlfriend and I were going out to dinner (not to fancy, slaks and a button shirt) and the I didn't feel right walking around with the customer like I couldn't think straight b/c I wasn't in my work colthes.

I have done the same thing and I know what you mean. I have a couple of different cars and one is a vw suv and I started getting comments about it when I went to homes in the 250-low 300's. So now I just estimate in our plane white 2500 or my small suv in most area's and save the vw for the 500+k homes. I didn't think much of it at the time, but I guess if you approach with the lower-end customer with higher-end appearance they might think your price it too high cuz their paying for your stuff.. Not sure if any of that made sense or not.

GLLawns
03-16-2007, 10:25 AM
I wear nice jeans/khakis and a polo most of the time. I try not to give estimates while in my regular cutting or scaping duds.

mike007
03-16-2007, 10:43 AM
thanks guys, pretty much what I figured but was curious.

bobw
03-16-2007, 10:58 AM
I ran into a customer in a mall one day... his first words were "My God...you do wear long pants!"... yep...irrigation guy... shorts and polo shirt every single work day... own a dozen identical shirts, identically logo'd...and a dozen pairs of identical shorts.... thank you Costco... cheap uniform....

mike007
03-17-2007, 01:11 PM
Thanks, if it was only a few degrees warmer id wear my khaki shorts. Not much of a long pants sorta guy myself either. Thanks everyone

topsites
03-17-2007, 02:06 PM
So long I showered and my clothes were washed before I put them on, I really don't give a rat what I look like. It is not my job to impress these people, and it doesn't seem to make a difference anyhow.

Just be yourself, is what I always say.

Woody82986
03-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I always wear jeans or slacks and either a button down shirt or a polo shirt when I go give estimates... unless I am on a job and a neighbor asks for an estimate.