PDA

View Full Version : Boots or anyone else

Flow Control
03-16-2007, 12:41 PM
Boots or anyone else, what type of price would cover me in a bid that requires 150' 3" copper installed with labor rate of $120ish. I was coming up in the 5 figure range, am I way off one way or the other

Wet_Boots
03-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Three inch copper? The mind boggles. I'd be wondering about the reasoning behind such a spec. (and did they also specify the class of copper - M, L, K, DWV)

bicmudpuppy
03-16-2007, 05:17 PM
What type of copper line? what lengths do you have access to it in? What is it going to COST you? What kind of couplers are you going to have to use? and at what cost again? If this is trenched pipe, what depth? in what type of soil? With the trench open, I can see this pipe being laid into the pipe path and connected at both ends in 4 hours with a good tech and a helper. So, 8 man hours plus material cost plus profit plus 10% to CYA. If it is work you really want bad, you could skip the CYA 10%.

Flow Control
03-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Three inch copper? The mind boggles. I'd be wondering about the reasoning behind such a spec. (and did they also specify the class of copper - M, L, K, DWV)

Mostly L and some K. We figured it out. Thanks for the help

Wet_Boots
03-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Reminds me of some architect's spec sheets on a sprinkler project for an athetic field. All kinds of pointless details, like "ultra-high-molecular-weight" poly pipe. And coupled with a head layout that looked like DIY heaven.

Dirty Water
03-16-2007, 08:15 PM
Let me guess, you needed to run some pipe out of the ground for some reason?

Wet_Boots
03-16-2007, 08:38 PM
Better than that, the bid also involved installing blacktop under the bleachers. Not very high on the list of tasks a sprinkler guy is ready to perform.

Dirty Water
03-16-2007, 09:53 PM
I was referring to the original 3" copper question :)

Thats the only time I could imagine someone would even contemplate that, and even then, I'd still just go with PE or something.

Wet_Boots
03-16-2007, 10:03 PM
I would think above-ground copper could attract thieves. I'm still guessing some dimbulb spec'ing. I don't see many buildings with a water supply over a hundred feet from outdoors.

bicmudpuppy
03-17-2007, 01:07 AM
Doesn't sound like we get to be clue'd in, but I was thinking more along the lines of....."the bf must be inside, and then the distance under concrete to the irrigation main was the 150'". I actually bid a retro-fit with over 100' of 2" copper just that way last spring. The building was being split and the sprinkler had to be too, so we had to bring a new tap to existing main and all new wires to the existing valves. I don't know if they finished the job. My bid was accepted, but I left before the job was ready. Those that were there when I left would not have been qualified to complete the project. I never got paid my commissions on the jobs we did while I was there. I sure didn't get a check for anything after I left.

Flow Control
03-17-2007, 10:11 AM
Let me guess, you needed to run some pipe out of the ground for some reason?

Basically, we are bidding to revamp a Hospital that was installed a number of years ago. The original designer had a plumbing background. That being said this guy decided to run copper lines through a parking garage to three different connections for the irrigation main line. They wanted us to rip out an existing 2" copper line and replace it with an 3" to a part of the system that did not need any renovations. They called for L copper inside (all piping inside of garage was above ceiling tiles) and once outside they called for K copper above ground.

Dirty Water
03-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Heh, that was my original thought :)

I'd go with galvinized. The fire supression systems are all galvinized, why not the sprinkler line running through. Would be a lot cheaper.

PurpHaze
03-17-2007, 01:27 PM
I too would have gone galvanized. But hey... if they're specifying copper then go for it and sock it to them. :)