PDA

View Full Version : fire hazzard

High Performance Lighting
03-16-2007, 09:37 PM
I was doing a maintenance service late this afternoon and I noticed the neighbors California pepper tree had been scorched by fire. I asked what happened and was told that someone put a bag of concrete on a wellight under the tree. That's what started the fire. Not a bad idea to check with your insurance agent to see what you are and not covered for.

YardPro
03-17-2007, 08:19 AM
we had a guy last year cover a well light with nice, fine triple shredded mulch.
it caught fire. luckily the irrigation came on and put it out

NightScenes
03-17-2007, 09:05 AM
We had one last year. A client had a truck load of mulch delivered to their home. They dumped it in a flower bed where I had some bullet lights. Covered one light with 4' of mulch. The owner called me 3 days later because his mulch was smoking. He uncovered the fixture (which had melted and was still working) and found the problem fixture. We replaced the fixture and all was well but I don't think he's going to have them deliver mulch when he's not home any more.

High Performance Lighting
03-17-2007, 09:33 AM
We had one last year. A client had a truck load of mulch delivered to their home. They dumped it in a flower bed where I had some bullet lights. Covered one light with 4' of mulch. The owner called me 3 days later because his mulch was smoking. He uncovered the fixture (which had melted and was still working) and found the problem fixture. We replaced the fixture and all was well but I don't think he's going to have them deliver mulch when he's not home any more.

was the fixture composite?

NightScenes
03-17-2007, 10:13 AM
No, powder coat aluminum. It had to generate a lot of heat. Melted the whole fixture pretty much.

YardPro
03-17-2007, 08:15 PM
our well was composite.
that is mostly what we use here on the Atlantic coast

Firefly Lighting
03-21-2007, 08:35 AM
In my opinion well lights (non sealed type) are horrible. I stopped installing them 6 years ago after a bed area almost caught on fire after the par lamp had been covered with mulch. The glass broke due to the heat but the lamp still burned. I have seen it happen too many times and here in the south east they just get coverd up with pine straw and leaves, I had gotten more than one call from a homeowner saying all there lights were out only to find that they were all fine just buried.

irrig8r
03-23-2007, 09:35 PM
In my opinion well lights (non sealed type) are horrible. I stopped installing them 6 years ago after a bed area almost caught on fire after the par lamp had been covered with mulch. The glass broke due to the heat but the lamp still burned. I have seen it happen too many times and here in the south east they just get coverd up with pine straw and leaves, I had gotten more than one call from a homeowner saying all there lights were out only to find that they were all fine just buried.

Only similar experience I've had was uncovering a mass of melted plastic and charred bark chips in a bed next to a childrens' playground area. The customer had replaced the original PAR 36 with a plastic Malibu lamp from the local hardware store.. and the kids had piled the bark on top...

That's why the only well light I use is Nightscaping's Walliter.

http://www.nightscaping.com/saftety7840.htm

"Nightscaping's® direct burial uplights offer you added operational safety thanks to our exclusive 7840 Safety Switch. This Nightscaping® feature automatically turns off direct burial uplight operating at an unsafe temperature and subsequently turns it back on once it cools.

Direct burial well lights can become obstructed by mulch or falling leaves. This obstruction causes a lack of proper ventilation which in turn allows heat to build up from the lamp, the end result of these combined factors can be devastating."

Chris J
04-06-2007, 11:02 PM
:usflag: If you had just one problem, that's one too many. You should use solid equipment on every job, and you will never have to go back

eskerlite
04-07-2007, 10:13 AM
Well lights are horrible and so are the par 36 lamps put into them. They are made for lawns only. No mulch beds. Stopped using wells 5 yrs. ago. Just horrible.
Sean C.:nono:

Pro-Scapes
04-07-2007, 01:01 PM
I agree with Sean. I had thoughts about using wells in beds and have been asked to. We wont do it afer reading some of the stories and considering it.

There is NOTHING wrong with a properly placed attractive fixture (bullet) in a bedded area.

NightScenes
04-07-2007, 07:23 PM
I also quit using par well lights a couple of years ago. I use mr16 wells in turf areas only.