PDA

View Full Version : Shindaiwa T-260 gear head - need help

Jason Pallas
03-16-2007, 10:05 PM
I need to replace the bevel gear and or the pinion gear in the gear head. Problem is that I can't get the unit apart to get to them. I've looked at an exploded parts view and I need to remove the bottom spacer to get to a snap ring. I can't get this spacer out. I don't see anything holding in and I don't think it's pressed in.... I can't figure it out.
It's the bunp head side (not the shaft end) that I'm working on. Any help is really appreciated. The gears I need to replace will cost about $40 at most - if I have replace the whole assembly, it's gonna be $110! Need your help
Thanks!

dutch1
03-17-2007, 08:56 AM
If you're talking about the little cylincrical space over the shaft, there isn't anything holding it on. You will likely find that the spacer is corroded to the shaft and will need to be soaked in Liquid Film, Kroil, etc. You have to be the one who makes the decision, but I would not consider replacing the bevel gears without doing the same with the bearings. Just the slightest bit of wear in the bearings or housing will contribute to premature bevel gear wear. The problem is that the cost of the individual parts comes very close to the cost of a complete head. I have done 4 of the 230/260/270 heads for friends and the only that I can justify it is the fact that I am still able to get parts at dealer cost from the shop I spent a few years in.

Dutch

MowerMedic77
03-17-2007, 10:13 AM

Once you have #'s 17,16,and 15 removed then you can thread in # 22 if you still have it if not good luck finding an 8mm Left Hand thread bolt to thread into # 13 Sometimes you can find arbors from universal tap heads that will thread into it. Then clamp the bolt head in a vice and lightly tap the case back till #14 and #13 come out as one piece exposing #'s 12 and 11.

Hope the breakdown helps Good Luck:)

dutch1
03-17-2007, 09:25 PM
After seeing MowerMedic's diagram of the head, what you may be thinking is a spacer is likely the oil seal which you will have to pry out. When you mentioned that there was a spacer, I was thinking that is was the spacer collar (#17) that you couldn't get broken loose.

Dutch

ed2hess
03-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Go to you dealer and get a used one.....I got one for around $50. Our shop said it is real hard to repair....they stopped.

Jason Pallas
03-17-2007, 10:15 PM
Thanks guys - I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about it! I just came in a read the posts - I ended up doing exactly what MowerMedic reccommended. I had to clean it really good to be able to see how it was all put togather. I'm gonna replace the guts - looks like a rebuild gear kit is $50 or so. I guess it's better than $110 for a new one.... but you're right, it's almost not worth the effort.
Thanks a million guys for the help - really appreciate it!