PDA

View Full Version : briggs question

chk14
03-17-2007, 09:45 AM
i have an old briggs 16 horse cast iron motor thats a side shaft electric start looking at the motor facing the fly wheel on the right side there is a red wire eith a fuse that comes out and on the left side behind the carb there is a short black wire with a terminal tha goes on a small bolt, what should these be hooked up to when i put it in my tractor?

Restrorob
03-17-2007, 06:07 PM
These engines came with points and or electronic ignition, If you don't have points the black wire by the carb. is the kill wire. If you have points it could still be the kill wire or go to the points depending on who wired the ignition system. The other wire is from the stator for the charging system.

They both go to the ignition switch.

chk14
03-18-2007, 08:30 AM
yes it has points and they're hooked up this wire is right above that and smaller gauge wire , i found an old harness for the motor it's hacked up pretty good they had the red wire going to the soleniod , but if that should be hooked to the igniton that would go on the run side? and the kill in the off position? thanks again.

Restrorob
03-18-2007, 09:51 AM
yes it has points and they're hooked up this wire is right above that and smaller gauge wire , i found an old harness for the motor it's hacked up pretty good they had the red wire going to the soleniod , but if that should be hooked to the igniton that would go on the run side? and the kill in the off position? thanks again.

OK, The black wire would go to the "kill-off" position. The red wire can go to the battery side of the solenoid or to the switch which ever is easiest.

There is not one set way to wire a unit so in time people tend to change things around, But if you wire as stated you should be fine.