PDA

View Full Version : To fix blower or buy new one?

lasher66
03-17-2007, 03:37 PM
I took my Echo pb650 in to get repaired and they told me it would be about $250 worth of repairs. The blower is about 4 yrs old and the guy at the shop said it would probably last a 2 or more years if I replace all the parts he recommended. Well, a new blower is $479, so do I repair the old one or buy a new one? Just wondering at what point you guys say its time for a new one. Thanks

Jason

AndyTblc
03-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Go buy a new one.

grass disaster
03-17-2007, 04:26 PM
see if he will buy it from you. he could fix it and sell it. you could get $50 out if it

Shawns Lawns
03-17-2007, 05:09 PM
Buy a new one! and if your interisted i have a pb403T for sale for $140.00:waving:

GreenN'Clean
03-17-2007, 06:51 PM
Id get a new one and sell the one that needs worked on

GreenN'Clean
03-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Or get the same kinda mower and keep the old one for spare parts just in case you break the new one....

lawnguyland
03-17-2007, 08:07 PM
Or get the same kinda mower and keep the old one for spare parts just in case you break the new one....

Exactly what he said. If they never made another piece of echo handheld stuff I'd be fine for eternity with parts.

tallimeca
03-17-2007, 08:39 PM
go new. Can't beat the 2 year warranty Echo gives on their Back Pack blowers.

Go with the PB755. More power, larger filter and straps.

lawnpro724
03-17-2007, 08:43 PM
for the money they want to fix it buy new

Tvov
03-17-2007, 09:38 PM
I am curious about what needs to be repaired? I assume that $250 includes labor. Backpacks are really easy to work on / fix, can you fix it yourself?

If you still want to buy a new one, you might want to think about repairing the old one yourself anyways and keep it as a backup. If you haven't taken apart a 2-stroke engine, you will be amazed at how simple they are.

Oh, I just noticed you already have two backpack blowers. Do you use both all the time? If so, you may still want to repair (yourself if possible) the old one and keep that as the backup blower.

lasher66
03-17-2007, 10:08 PM
I am curious about what needs to be repaired? I assume that $250 includes labor. Backpacks are really easy to work on / fix, can you fix it yourself?

If you still want to buy a new one, you might want to think about repairing the old one yourself anyways and keep it as a backup. If you haven't taken apart a 2-stroke engine, you will be amazed at how simple they are.

Oh, I just noticed you already have two backpack blowers. Do you use both all the time? If so, you may still want to repair (yourself if possible) the old one and keep that as the backup blower.

THey said the bearings need replaced and about 10 other things, seals,gaskets, loose blower fan. It was running pretty crappy though. Thanks for all the input, I think I will by a new one instead of fixing it and use it for parts. Thanks

Jason

ed2hess
03-17-2007, 10:36 PM
I got a couple 650 units and no bearing or seal problems and these units have many many hours. The biggest problem has been a head gasket blew and we put on new adjustable carb. Rest of the repairs are the little stuff like ropes, filters, plugs etc. I would pass on the $250 repair because there will be more stuff in the next two years....need to look at being able to do repairs if you are in this for the long haul. Switch over to the Stihl BR420 it is a lighter unit and like Echo a true 2 stroke without any new technology yet. But it is only one year warranty.