PDA

View Full Version : NJ/NY/CT- when are you starting spring cleanups?

mkwl
03-17-2007, 07:29 PM
For all of you guys in the tri-state area, when are you planning on starting spring cleanups? With the 8" of snow/sleet we got here yesterday, I figure I'll start cleanups in about 2 weeks (last weekend in March). This is a little later than normal, but I don't want to damage my lawns by running mowers and blowers over them when they are still wet and muddy.

So, when are you starting spring cleanups?

Shades of Green LService
03-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Started mine around feb. 18
-Jay

mkwl
03-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Started mine around feb. 18
-Jay

You started SPRING cleanups in February?:dizzy: Did you also do a fall cleanup in November/December?

lawnguyland
03-17-2007, 08:03 PM
Feb 18th? Is that south (of the equator) Jersey? Wasn't the turf frozen?

Anyhoo-I'm hoping to start again (did 3 the day last week it was 70) 3/26.

The only good thing besides $ about the snow is I will be able to say "it's because of all the snow in March" for whatever I need to use that (real) excuse for!

mexiking
03-17-2007, 09:07 PM
i had done 5 when it was hot , will have to wait til the snow melts now...

Shades of Green LService
03-17-2007, 09:09 PM
You started SPRING cleanups in February?:dizzy: Did you also do a fall cleanup in November/December?

Genius, November/December is Fall.:hammerhead: Also, I do Fertilization as well, i have to get those clean so i can apply rnd !.

Tvov
03-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Usually start spring cleanups in March, depending on weather. So, with the recent weather, it will probably be the end of March, same as you mkwl.

Of course, in April is when I start getting the calls - "How come my lawn looks so bad??" and I have to reassure everyone that it is still early. May comes, and everything looks great. Same thing every year!

Shades of Green LService
03-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Feb 18th? Is that south (of the equator) Jersey? Wasn't the turf frozen?

Anyhoo-I'm hoping to start again (did 3 the day last week it was 70) 3/26.

The only good thing besides $ about the snow is I will be able to say "it's because of all the snow in March" for whatever I need to use that (real) excuse for!

Apparently i have annoyed people by working and not sitting on my A$$.
Feb/March -Winter/Spring Clean ups
March-april Rnd 1 Pre emergents
March/April Mulch
Mid AprilMowing usually starts
April Select homes get preventative fungicide APP.1

Been doing it this way for 10 years.
-Jay

mkwl
03-17-2007, 10:23 PM
Genius, November/December is Fall.:hammerhead: Also, I do Fertilization as well, i have to get those clean so i can apply rnd !.

I figured maybe you just did a combined fall/spring cleanup, I don't know of any other landscaper who does spring cleanups in February, nor have I ever heard of someone paying to have a winter cleanup!:dizzy: I guess you guys in southern NJ do it defferently than us northern NJ landscapers- whatever works!

DLCS
03-17-2007, 11:48 PM
I figured maybe you just did a combined fall/spring cleanup, I don't know of any other landscaper who does spring cleanups in February, nor have I ever heard of someone paying to have a winter cleanup!:dizzy: I guess you guys in southern NJ do it defferently than us northern NJ landscapers- whatever works!

Alot of the bigger companies do if we have good weather. I've seen Brickman and others doing spring clean-up/mulching in February. This year I'm sure was different do to all the snow we recieved. I'd love to do spring clean-ups in February but the ground is alwasy too soft on most of my accounts.

Pietro
03-18-2007, 02:20 AM
I have jobs lined up and was planning on starting Monday......doesnt look so good now lol. Maybe 1-2 weeks. I sure hope we are able to mow starting April 1st.

lawnguyland
03-18-2007, 08:37 AM
Apparently i have annoyed people by working and not sitting on my A$$.
Feb/March -Winter/Spring Clean ups
March-april Rnd 1 Pre emergents
March/April Mulch
Mid AprilMowing usually starts
April Select homes get preventative fungicide APP.1

Been doing it this way for 10 years.
-Jay

Sorry if I appeared annoyed to you, I'm not, but seriously, how did you do spring clean-ups in Feb this year? I know you are south of me, but wasn't the turf frozen? If not, I say good for you. Also, do you thatch with power rake or JRCO when you do SPCUs? In other words, what does your spring clean-up consist of?

All the other timing you list seems right on to me, just the spring clean up on frozen turf is what seems strange, but if it was warmer by you then good for you. Peace.

Shades of Green LService
03-18-2007, 08:57 AM
Sorry if I appeared annoyed to you, I'm not, but seriously, how did you do spring clean-ups in Feb this year? I know you are south of me, but wasn't the turf frozen? If not, I say good for you. Also, do you thatch with power rake or JRCO when you do SPCUs? In other words, what does your spring clean-up consist of?

All the other timing you list seems right on to me, just the spring clean up on frozen turf is what seems strange, but if it was warmer by you then good for you. Peace.

I don't use a JRCO type attachment as of yet. But probably will in the future. My clean ups are not that big a deal because they just had one a few months ago. It's basicly sticks, accumulating leaves from other houses. Just neaten it up a bit. The leaves ( what little bit is there) was not stuck to the ground. I was fortunate in feb. because we had those 70 deg. days. So that was a little extra motivation. Like i said before, I need to get my fert accounts clean before i start rnd 1.
-Jay

TURFLORD
03-18-2007, 09:05 AM
March 12-16, I got all my apps and clean-ups done while it was 60-70 degrees in NJ. Get while the gettin's good, and I'm glad I did.

PhillyShells
03-18-2007, 09:23 AM
Bypassed cleanups Tues/Wed when it was nice and went golfing !
Oh well...... now I'll have to wait for the meltdown.

godzilla
03-18-2007, 10:39 AM
I've got some things to do before the snow goes away and the ground thaws out, but otherwise spring starts on April 1 it looks like. I hope.

lawncare18
03-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Gona be a while here.. still a foot plus of snow near syracuse.. I am hoping end of march first week of april depending on how wet it is.. gona be a lot of cleanup with the snow we have had this year...

lawnguyland
03-18-2007, 03:33 PM
I don't use a JRCO type attachment as of yet. But probably will in the future. My clean ups are not that big a deal because they just had one a few months ago. It's basicly sticks, accumulating leaves from other houses. Just neaten it up a bit. The leaves ( what little bit is there) was not stuck to the ground. I was fortunate in feb. because we had those 70 deg. days. So that was a little extra motivation. Like i said before, I need to get my fert accounts clean before i start rnd 1.
-Jay

To you that's a spring clean-up, to me it's not really, that's why we're surprised I think.

For me, spring clean-up =
dethatch
clean out all leaves, sticks, debirs and remove all
hand edge beds and cultivate
Lime, fertilizer, pre-m, seed, peat
hand prune hydrangeas (new wood blooming types), roses if not done yet, etc. etc.

Average house is maybe $250 or so.

Huge difference in spring clean-up definitions. That must be the dealio. :)

jeffscap
03-18-2007, 09:14 PM
We got awhile here yet.Waiting for the 8.5" of snow to leave. Looks like the end of March first of April thing for full service cleanups Ny, Pa.:waving:

lawnguyland
03-18-2007, 10:23 PM
Spring clean-ups now scheduled for July.

Turfdude
03-18-2007, 11:01 PM

We too start clean-ups generally late February or the first week of March. Yes, I actually do have a few select clients who have us come out periodically thru the winter to keep their properties free of debris barring any bad weather. We had 1 crew doing clean-ups last week, 1 crew mulching, I was running estimates & our applicator was doing our lime app. This ice we got 2" worth sucks the big one. Now we'll lose at least 2-3 days, plus the ground will be soaked. Fun, fun, fun in Joisey!

NNJLandman
03-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Yea had planned on starting cleanups on Thursday/Friday of last week when it was nice and work the restof this week...so much for that, I have spring break this week so now I cant do a thing. I saw a couple of companies out while it was nice out last week doing cleanups and mulch...now theres grit n salt back on the grass n the mulch is piled up in snow mounds...what ya gonna do.

lawnguyland
03-19-2007, 08:26 AM
stupid stupid stupid stupid snow

shade tree landscaping
03-19-2007, 11:31 AM
we were hoping to start doing them this week, but the snow from the weekend ruined those plans. We will prob be starting @ the end of the month, as long as the weather permits.

www.shadetree-landscaping.com

info@shadetree-landscaping.com