PDA

View Full Version : 96 astro...will it pull a loaded 5x10?

thefed
03-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I'd like to set up my Astor a s a backup vehicle, used mainly for mulch. We have a 5x10 open trailer, 3500 lb axle, with gate and 4' sides. any idea what the trailer itself might weigh?

I'd like to be able to tow around 3-4 yards of mulch if possible. What will I need to make it happen without having too much of an issue?

I figured a trans cooler. I'd liek to buy a simple $110 Reese hitch from Walmart if possible. Will I need a Weight distribution setup?

Any input on this?

CLARK LAWN
03-17-2007, 11:44 PM
you better start putting money aside for a new trans no. friend of mine owns an auto shop and he puts about 10-12 trannies a year in astro vans that pull trailers.

thefed
03-18-2007, 12:10 AM
you better start putting money aside for a new trans no. friend of mine owns an auto shop and he puts about 10-12 trannies a year in astro vans that pull trailers.

I understand it wont be the ideal trans fro pulling, but i anticipate usjng this about once a week...hoping limited use will keep it fresh enough

fivestarlawnken
03-18-2007, 12:44 AM
is it worth it???? A empty 5 x 10 is somewhere around 600+ pounds,add the 3-4 yds mulch and you're up to maybe 3000 pounds(mulch adds up)...it also will be fun to stop..If you're running this astro into the ground then it may be alright. Save up some money and put it towards a good backup full size truck.If i was going to do the mulch deal use your everyday truck for this.

CLARK LAWN
03-18-2007, 02:32 PM
I understand it wont be the ideal trans fro pulling, but i anticipate usjng this about once a week...hoping limited use will keep it fresh enough

most of these are just people who haul a boat on the weekend they are not made to pull a trailer it will not last long if you do

A New Image
03-18-2007, 03:20 PM
if you are in a cooler climate you should have no problem with an astro.

fivestarlawnken
03-19-2007, 11:18 PM
NEW IMAGE.......please explain maybe were all missing something!