PDA

View Full Version : Multie Use Handheld trimmer, edger etc

BeautifulBlooms
03-18-2007, 12:47 PM
I am wondering if anyone out there has the multi use tools.
I know echo makes one with a edger, string trimmer, articulating hedge trimmer, paddle wheel, sweeper, power pruner, and maybe more.

I am wondering who has what and if you like them or not? It sure seems like it beats buying 5 different tools with different engines, but I am looking for overall feedback.

I would probably at most buy the power pruner, trimmer, edger, and hedge trimmer!

lawnboy dan
03-18-2007, 12:50 PM
i have the husky multi-tool edger and trimmer . i keep it behind the seat of the truck as a emergengy backup

BeautifulBlooms
03-18-2007, 12:51 PM
and??? Is it worthwile, cost effective? any input?

metro36
03-18-2007, 01:04 PM
I have an echo PAS 260. I love it. It is 7 years old and runs like a champ. They are definatley worth while. I have a trimmer edger and tiller attach. for it. I will be buying a new uint this year. I think that getting one would save you a ton of money compared to buying a seperate trimmer, edger, hedge trimmer, ect.

BeautifulBlooms
03-18-2007, 01:07 PM
Yeah I agree about the cost savings I just wasnt sure of the quality. Personally I have somethign against echo and I am not sure why I just think that overall stihl products seem to be better. Although I have only used a stihl chainsaw, and echo trimmers. So I cant generalize like that. I just have to look into the pricing of both and see how they compare. Also depends on the service I will get and the warranty issues.

MANOFSTIHL
03-18-2007, 01:28 PM
Look at the Stihl KM poweheads. They have 3 different commercial models. Even the smallest one is over 28cc. Stihl has the best articulating hedgetrimmer IMO and I have never seen a coupling issue with any of the attachments. They also have a new rack that will hold your power head with one attachment and 4 additional attachments to mount in an enclosed trailer or shed (homeowner)

This is definately the best way to purchase a trimmer if you work solo or don't have a large crew. If you have a crew, of course, you want EVERYBODY with something in their hand, no combi units for large operations...

ed2hess
03-18-2007, 01:35 PM
Keep in mind if you have one power head and it goes down ......all work essentially stops.

lawnboy dan
03-18-2007, 01:55 PM
thats why mine is a backup unit. it works great but its only for emergengy use in case my reg stick edger or trimmer goes down my day isnt ruined

MANOFSTIHL
03-18-2007, 05:29 PM
I agree, nothing wrong with a back up plan.

Why not make your back up unit another combi power head? That way even your back up unit has extreme versatility and can "back up" virtually ANY piece that goes down.

Good point Lawnboy Dan.

jkingrph
03-18-2007, 05:52 PM
I have a Stihl, model FS 85 I think. It is a split shaft, for which I have the hedge trimmer( adjustible angle)edger, pole pruner, as well as the string trimmer head. I already had a trimmer but bought unit as a trimmer for backup, and added other components. I have had it 4-5 years and it performs well. I use as an edger most of the time, but other items are handy when needed. I beat buying dedicated tools for those functions that do not see much use I think this was before they called them combi tools.

delphied
03-18-2007, 06:34 PM
I have the Shindaiwa with the 2 stroke power head. I also have each of the attachments you mentioned. I am just starting and have not used it much but I will say that shindaiwa 2 stroke is weak. I used a stihl and you couldnt bog down the edger. The dealers will steer you to buying all seperate. I needed to save money as I am going into this business without borrowing. I recommend a 4 stroke or try a Redmax because now, I wish I would have. The Redmax line is hard to beat.

lawnman_scott
03-18-2007, 06:38 PM
I agree, nothing wrong with a back up plan.

Why not make your back up unit another combi power head? That way even your back up unit has extreme versatility and can "back up" virtually ANY piece that goes down.

Good point Lawnboy Dan.Thats what I do. I always thought the combi units were just for solo guys, but I like them now. I have one that is used for a weedeater constantly, and another that I swithc between the other units. Stihl makes a 4 ft extention that you can put between the power head and the tool end to make it longer. Works good for the pole saw to reach taller palms.

Mowman16
03-18-2007, 07:20 PM
I am buying one this week, I think it will be a Sthill or maybe Redmax, I don't know why but I don't like Sthill products. The Sthill is the most power-full out there, the Redmax has the best warranty (2 years VS 1 year). My dealer has a sale going, buy 5 attachments (each $150-$285) get the sixth free (the $75.00 trimmer:laugh: ). Hope this helps. :usflag:

The Captain
03-18-2007, 11:18 PM
I got a Echo PAS-260 with string trimer and edger in a deal about 3 years ago. I liked it so much I bought a second power head and trimmer attachment last year. I do a cemetery and it sure is nice to have two trimmers with interchangeable string heads and power heads with about the same torque. Ive had no trouble with either unit and sorry to admit,done only minimal maintenance on them.

Brett's Cutting Edge
03-19-2007, 10:58 AM
they are nice but some of the attatchments can get costley or as i have heard from teh mower shop.

"Ground Control"
03-19-2007, 01:23 PM
Last summer I bought a 4MIX Stihl KM110R ($329.95) with the string trimmer attachment ($99.95). Then about 2 weeks later I bought the Straight edger ($179.95) and the Articulating Hedge Trimmer ($229.95). They all work great and I would definitely buy them again! Only thing is the hedge trimmer gets a little heavy after a while so you have to make sure you have the harness set up right. Hope this helps

ACutAbovesiny
03-19-2007, 01:33 PM
I have 2 shindawah multi tools. I use one as a back up and another as an everyday stick edger. My opinion is that they work fine but weigh alittle more than a reg one. maybe a lb or 2 but I notice the difference.

gl1200a
03-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I have a PAS 260 and run (almost) all of the attachments. I even made a few like some 12" tubes with short spikes to convert the tiller attachment into a piece to overturn mulch .

Is it worth it? Just do the math... I'm going to try an Edgit and need another string trimmer so I just bought a brand new trimmer attachment for $75.00 on eBay. That's alot less than $200.00 plus for another Echo trimmer.

fiveoboy01
03-19-2007, 01:48 PM
Out of curiosity, how long does it take to swap attachments?

"Ground Control"
03-19-2007, 01:52 PM
Out of curiosity, how long does it take to swap attachments?

You can change the attachments (on a Stihl) in about 5 seconds..... unscrew the bolt that holds it on, pull it out, push the other attachment in, tighten the bolt. Pretty simple.

naturescape
03-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Well, if you put the edgit on your trimmer, you'll have the 2 in one right there! And both work better than WITHOUT the edgit -- edges better than a stick edger, trims better than a trimmer without an edgit.

Then, with some trimmers like the Kaw or Tanaka, you can get different attachments like the hedge trimmers.

LandscaperPro
03-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Tanaka makes a great "Multi-Tool" you can view it and other Tanaka Equipment HERE: http://www.landscaperpro.com/index.asp?PageAction=MFGSEARCH&ManfID=45&Page=1

jbell113
03-20-2007, 04:45 PM
To me the power heads and multi attachments are the only way to go. Some of the attachments may be costly but still cheaper than buying a whole complete unit. I have all the attachments and swapping them out takes only seconds. I also dont have to load a trimmer then unload an edger. Then if the engine goes on the power head its just $300 and Im back running again.

If you did the math of what it costs to buy each idividual unit versus the power heads and attacthments and then ..hypothetically speaking here... every engine on your trimmers etc etc went out....what would be cheaper...a couple of power heads or all new whole units.

Daner
03-20-2007, 06:43 PM
I have a Shindy Multi tool set up...with the 4-mix engine...works great for me...nice and quiet<---------- thats the part i like.

Dixie Bluegrass
03-20-2007, 08:45 PM
I have 2 Stihl KM110R powerheads.There is a lot of torque in these engines and that is a BIG thing. I use them for weedeating and hedgetrimming. I would definitely recommend them. I also have a FS85 for a backup weedeater.