View Full Version : I need help in adjusting the governor linkage relative to governor shaft.

03-18-2007, 02:34 PM
I have a 20 HP Briggs & Stratton OHV Twin Cylinder Engine. The fly wheel shaft key sheered and was replaced at which time I noticed that the linkage rod that connects carburetor to governor linkage was on backwards causing the plastic on intake manifold to ware. I turned the link rod around, but now I need to adjust engine speed via governor. The throttle speed is controlled by the governor wanting to close the butterfly to carburetor.

I need help in adjusting the governor linkage relative to governor shaft.

Does anyone have the procedure to adjust this, and it is very sensitive?

Jason Pallas
03-19-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm not too familiar with the Briggs - but do know the Kawasakis well. I'm sure they're about the same. Just loosen the adjustment bolt on the linkage and start the engine up. Manually move the linkage to the desired RPMs and then tighten the linkage bolt back up. That should do it. If not, it's just a matter of adjusting this linkage bolt to the desired Rpm.
Someone may actually have the manual /proceedure for this - but I saw that no one answered you and thought that this might help.

03-19-2007, 07:48 AM
Engine numbers are helpful in answering your question, read the third post dwon from the top. Right off the top of my head I'd say that rpms are controlled by tang on the throttle control that applies spring pressure to the governor arm although the pressure may be controlled by a screw as well. Some of the local gurus who regularly work on them may have a more definitive answer.


03-19-2007, 08:03 AM
As Dutch explained, RPM adjustment is with the tang the spring hooks to or a adjustment screw depending on model, type and year, DO NOT loosen the governor arm/shaft screw to adjust RPM.

03-19-2007, 09:05 AM
The engine model number is 406777. 20 HP Briggs & Stratton OHV Twin Cylinder Engine on a Scotts lawn tractor L2048 made by John Deere.