PDA

View Full Version : balancers

causalitist
03-18-2007, 08:22 PM
i want to start balancing my blades to save spindle wear
i bought one of those $5 plastic balancers from the hardwear store..
its not easy to use, and i dont much trust it.
it has to be on a completely level surface.

ive seen the wall mount ones for sale.. do they actually mount to the wall so that the blade is put on it perpendicular to the ground? thats what it looks like.
example: http://www.powerequipmentwarehouse.com/bladebalancer-p-16477.html

has anyone used both the cheap ones and a decent one like this? would one like the one above be alot easier to read/use than a cheap plastic one, or is it the same pretty much but just higher quality?

also, do these wall mount ones need to be on a completely level surface? how does that work if its wall mount?

mowerman90
03-18-2007, 10:18 PM
I have one of the good ones, a Magnamatic, that I paid $150 for. The difference between it and one of the plastic or pot metal ones is the difference between night and day. The Magnamatic is extremely accurate.
I check new blades before mounting and almost always have to shave a few thousands off one side to bring it into balance before using.

ed2hess
03-18-2007, 10:29 PM
I never paid any attention to blancing blades in over 25 years and never had a spindle problem. But we use Scag and Snapper mowers. But I guess it is one of those nice things to do if you got time, same as using a special bench grinding tool to sharpen blades.

causalitist
03-18-2007, 11:52 PM
ed2hess - huh... wow. you would think it would matter, but im fine with not having to worry about it on my snapper 48". thanks.

mowerman90- is that Magnamatic a wall mount one? does it have to be mounted level ?
when you put the blade on it is the blade perpendicular to the ground? i.e the opposite position of the $5 balancers?

c'mon, learn me up some knowledge!:walking: hahahaa

Brett's Cutting Edge
03-19-2007, 11:50 AM
I have the metal balencer and they just have to be close to in balence. it only really matters if it is majorly off balance but if you are good it can be almost dead on. I use a 7'' grinder and they have always been level on my balencer and the same on the "good one" at the local mower shop.

cward
03-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Causalitist, the Magna Matic is a wall mounted unit. I can't remember if the instructions called for it to be level or not. I shimmed it and made sure it was. The good balancers are kind of expensive. I have never had a perfectly balanced blade "out of the box"! If you can afford one, it is a great expense. However, a nail in the wall will also tell you which side of the blade is heavier.

Sammy
03-19-2007, 07:41 PM
I use a nail in the wall or a screw driver.

cward
03-19-2007, 08:23 PM
Heck of a lot cheaper that way!

causalitist
03-20-2007, 01:34 AM
Sammy, cward:
u guys just set it up horizontal and see which side falls? or spin it?

where does the screwdriver come in?

im liking this method already :)

dcondon
03-20-2007, 01:36 AM
We have never balanced a blade on our TANKS and no problems with the spindles.

Richard Martin
03-20-2007, 06:45 AM
I use a stainless steel bearing with a 5/8" OD and 1/4" ID slid onto a 1/4" drill bit run into a stud in the wall. The bearing is Federal Mogul Part# R-4-SS. It works great and is very sensitive.

In the second pic the paper is only there so you can see the bearing on the drill bit.

causalitist
03-20-2007, 11:18 PM
ah man, thanks alot.

bet that works quite well.

johnwon
03-21-2007, 07:56 AM
Richard; I like that idea...I'll have to try it.
As for not balancing blades and having no problems with spindles....It seems to me that it would vibrate less if nothing else.
I use to not worry about it to much until I ended up with a new blade for a 21" push mower with the mounting hole not in the center. I couldn't tell by just looking at it but when hung on a nail in the wall...way out of balance. That can't be good on the crank bearings.

mrgreen3
03-21-2007, 05:38 PM
I've never balanced a blade,and I sharpen with a 4" grinder. It's been 32 seasons..

LandscaperPro
03-21-2007, 05:54 PM
We carry all types of blade balancers and other items for maintaining you mower. You can find them here: http://www.landscaperpro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=438

LawnMower
03-22-2007, 12:50 PM
I have the magna matic blade balancer too. I think the biggest deal with these balancers is how accurate they are. For me the biggest think that the balancer does is cut down on vibration from the spinning blades. After balancing the blades with the Mag, there is no vibration. This is great for rider fatigue.

I run double blades so its even more important to have accurately balanced blades to cut back on vibration for operator comfort.