PDA

View Full Version : High lift/Dethatching blades

cwmiller928
03-18-2007, 10:45 PM
Whats the best for dethatching? I have a 52 inch stander with the bagger and would really like to know what blades get the most up? I have the gator blades. But wasnt sure if you guys could recommend something to do a better job?

DuraCutter
03-19-2007, 12:30 AM
Whats the best for dethatching? I have a 52 inch stander with the bagger and would really like to know what blades get the most up? I have the gator blades. But wasnt sure if you guys could recommend something to do a better job?

A good power rake machine just can't be beat. I haven't heard good things about blades doing the detatching.

We also have the pull type power rakes, they are made by bluebird. One is 1 year old and uses the spring type tines and the other uses the flails. Both do a very quick job of raking.

:)

txgrassguy
03-19-2007, 12:39 AM
First of all you have to understand the difference between raking and thatch removal.
There is not a rotary machine, to my knowledge, that penetrates the soil surface to remove undecomposed organic matter which comprises thatch.
Most belt driven power rakes do not remove thatch either as they are incapable of penetrating low enough.
To really get into a thatch layer, depending upon site conditions, expect the need to penetrate up to two inches before viable debris removal occurs.

DuraCutter
03-20-2007, 12:55 AM
First of all you have to understand the difference between raking and thatch removal.
There is not a rotary machine, to my knowledge, that penetrates the soil surface to remove undecomposed organic matter which comprises thatch.
Most belt driven power rakes do not remove thatch either as they are incapable of penetrating low enough.
To really get into a thatch layer, depending upon site conditions, expect the need to penetrate up to two inches before viable debris removal occurs.

Problem is if you go up to 2", you won't have much of a lawn left. The owner will probably ask for damage repair.

Unless you have different grass in your part of the country??

:)