PDA

View Full Version : some zones not working

BIGJIMBEEM
03-18-2007, 10:58 PM
I recently was asked to take a look at one of my customers sprinkler's systems she is currently running a rainbird control panel and when maually testing the zones The control panel fried. I plan on replacing the control board, I looked at the schematics and found this to be a 13 zone system and noticed that some of the heads need to be replaced. due to a fire spreading over those zones. Is there anything I should be aware of before undergoing this project. Or should I hand this one off to someone else.

DanaMac
03-19-2007, 09:12 AM
The controller probably fried for a reason. So troubleshooting to find why would be first, or you might be replacing the new one as well. Shorted solenoids, wiring problem, bad 110 outlet, POSSIBLY just the controller was bad (but not likely).

replacing sprinkler heads is the easiest part of working on a system. If you can match up the heads, or find a comparable, then match the precip output, replace and adjust. Not very difficult.

PurpHaze
03-19-2007, 09:19 AM
What's your definition of "fried" for the controller? I'm with Dana... check the power source to the controller first and then work outwards from there, valve wiring and solenoids, valves. The actually head replacement will be the last thing you do and will be the easiest.

bobw
03-19-2007, 10:16 AM
When you go to replace the heads, check the piping as well. I had to do a fire repair on some heads and there were some issues with the integrity of the pipe.

Mike Leary
03-19-2007, 01:24 PM
Did the clock fry fry? In other words, is the transformer shot too?
Sounds like it took a surge, Some Rain-Bird clocks fry easy, I've seem them
fry when connected to the same circuit as garage door openers, etc.

BIGJIMBEEM
03-19-2007, 08:46 PM
I was asked to show her how to program the the sysytem and went through a maual testing of each zone. I went throught the first 7 zones without a problem when I came to zone 8 it kept readin error and when I tried to go back to any of the 1st seven zones it failed to turn any of the heads on and read error on all zones after that. At that point I unplugged the control and waited about 15 min before plugging it back in figureing that would be plenty of time to reset itself. I plugged it back in nothing new happened, after about 30 sec. it began to smoke from behind the control panel. when i opened it up there were cobwebs on the circuit board.

Dirty Water
03-19-2007, 08:53 PM
Sounds to me like Zone 8 has a ground fault short in it :)

BIGJIMBEEM
03-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Would That Be The Reason For The Board Shorting Out And How Do You Recommend Checking It

PurpHaze
03-19-2007, 10:39 PM
Sounds like it took a surge, Some Rain-Bird clocks fry easy, I've seem them fry when connected to the same circuit as garage door openers, etc.

Last week I had to go out to a school site that had experienced a major power surge. Something like 60 surge strips had fried and I think there was even some other damage like a couple of computers that didn't make it. Our two Irritrol MC-Plus controllers were fine and I put them through their paces just to make sure.

Found out last week that the Hunter ACC has two built-in surge protectors in it to specifically combat lightning strikes... especially in areas such as Florida.

PurpHaze
03-19-2007, 10:42 PM
... after about 30 sec. it began to smoke from behind the control panel. when i opened it up there were cobwebs on the circuit board.

I once had ants get into an older controller and fry the board. It was actually time to upgrade that particular controller so we put a new one in. No repeat problems from the ants at least. :)

BIGJIMBEEM
03-19-2007, 10:55 PM
so you say just replace the board and then work on the heads, or should i still trace for a bad ground

PurpHaze
03-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Most of the newer controllers have a circuit fault in the event a short or something occurs from the valve or wiring. That's how they "report" their error to you. Check to make sure you don't have a problem with the 110-115v supply and just replace the controller (at least that's what I'd do). A ground fault will be reported back to you if the controller you purchase has this feature.

BIGJIMBEEM
03-20-2007, 01:35 AM
Thnx I'll let you know how it works and it fails i'll send you the bill j/k

PurpHaze
03-20-2007, 09:03 AM
OK... I'll give you Boots' addy to send the bill to. :)