PDA

View Full Version : mamba high lift mulching blades

I MOW ALONE
03-19-2007, 02:49 AM
has anyone tried these blades from j-thomas. i would like to know how well they work on a 60'' lazer with ultracut deck. do they have enough lift they say 40% higher lift. or would i be better off going with regular high lifts. i will be side discharging this mower is new to me have not cut grass with it yet so i dont know. anyone with this mower have any input would be appreciated. thanks

Meg-Mo
03-19-2007, 09:16 AM
Check the MEG MO blades

I MOW ALONE
03-19-2007, 04:32 PM
no one has tried these blades on a 60'' lazer with ultracut.

tacoma200
03-19-2007, 05:15 PM
I have a set but rarely use them on the Ultracut. The high lifts always seem to work best here except in the fall leaves. They are very thick and wide blade. I've just never had much luck with any kind of Gator type blade but some swear by them. Too many stringers from not enough lift, not as even of a cut for me.

Summertime Lawn
03-19-2007, 05:31 PM
I have used them and was happy with the results. They are thicker and heavier than normal blades. Thought they did well.

Meg-Mo
03-19-2007, 06:15 PM
Our knives are not thick but are made of a lot better steel then OEM blades. Thick does not make a blade strong. The meg mo blades being free save them from getting damaged like other blades. Almost no nicks in the meg mo knives.

I MOW ALONE
03-19-2007, 06:35 PM
thanks for the replies keep em coming. meg mo what does a set cost for a 60'' ultracut. thanks

naturescape
03-20-2007, 10:50 AM
thanks for the replies keep em coming. meg mo what does a set cost for a 60'' ultracut. thanks

Don't waste your time. See my other posts on megmos.

ribbie78
03-20-2007, 10:40 PM
just got a set of the regular hi-lifts from j thomas today for my 60" lazer Z(with ultracut). Haven't tried em yet; but they look well made; and I couldn't beat the price. Only ordered them Sunday night with regular shipping;got em today. Take advantage of their $8 shipping and load up the cart. I also got 9 viking blades, new bagger kit, backup belts, new viking tires, etc., etc. Stocking up for the springtime rush. Shipping is cheaper than the cost of gas for me to get to my dealer. :hammerhead:

I support my local dealer by getting all my hand equipment and doing shop repair service; but a lot of these small parts are MUCH cheaper at J. Thomas.

good luck

Envy Lawn Service
03-20-2007, 10:50 PM
I've been wondering about them a long time myself.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-20-2007, 10:59 PM
I love them they're all we run. We can mow tall, wet bermuda and the discharged clippings are extremely fine and hard to see which makes my work look that much better. I just bought 3 sets for my 260Z (same as exmark) $9.10 a piece. They're over $40 a set locally and that's my dealer giving me a discount. Just make sure you order enough to take advantage on the shipping.

Envy Lawn Service
03-21-2007, 12:22 AM
I love them they're all we run. We can mow tall, wet bermuda and the discharged clippings are extremely fine and hard to see which makes my work look that much better. I just bought 3 sets for my 260Z (same as exmark) $9.10 a piece. They're over $40 a set locally and that's my dealer giving me a discount. Just make sure you order enough to take advantage on the shipping.

Have you tried them on the Tank?

I have the same fabricated deck and I'm surprised at how well it does with Gators.
Suprised me because Gators don't perform well on many mowers.

I MOW ALONE
03-21-2007, 12:23 AM
well i went ahead and ordered a set of regular high lifts. so i guess i will see how well i like them and next time i will give the mamba's a try.

tacoma200
03-21-2007, 12:30 AM
well i went ahead and ordered a set of regular high lifts. so i guess i will see how well i like them and next time i will give the mamba's a try.

Were the high lifts from J-Thomas 2.5 or 3 inches wide? For some reason they make a lot of their blades 3" wide. Maybe they have their reasons but I would just assume stick with the standard factory with. I thought about ordering a few for the Scag but why 3" only on the high lifts? No 2.5" option for Scag high lifts anyway.

I MOW ALONE
03-21-2007, 01:45 AM
Were the high lifts from J-Thomas 2.5 or 3 inches wide? For some reason they make a lot of their blades 3" wide. Maybe they have their reasons but I would just assume stick with the standard factory with. I thought about ordering a few for the Scag but why 3" only on the high lifts? No 2.5" option for Scag high lifts anyway.

does not say the width of the high lifts. i will measure when i get them and let you know.

tacoma200
03-21-2007, 01:59 AM
does not say the width of the high lifts. i will measure when i get them and let you know.

I have the some of their high lift Maba's and high lifts for the Lazer and they are wider than stock. But the new high lifts are not listed as being wide (just looked in the catalog. I was going to get some for the Scag but they are listed as "wide high lifts" which usually means 3". Not sure why they do that on some blades. I don't guess it hurts anything but I like to get them as close to stock as possible. If the last set of blades on the Lazer were any wider I believe they would have touched.

gene gls
03-21-2007, 07:51 PM
I have the some of their high lift Maba's and high lifts for the Lazer and they are wider than stock. But the new high lifts are not listed as being wide (just looked in the catalog. I was going to get some for the Scag but they are listed as "wide high lifts" which usually means 3". Not sure why they do that on some blades. I don't guess it hurts anything but I like to get them as close to stock as possible. If the last set of blades on the Lazer were any wider I believe they would have touched.

Some of the "high" lift blades that are 3" wide have a higher stamped sail than the 2.5" wide blades. My old Hustler gull wing blades were 3" wide and .250 thick. Very heavy and hard on the clutch to get started.

jt5019
03-21-2007, 08:21 PM
I tried the mamba's on my scag ztr i thought they worked ok but the gator magnums leave a better cut for me. I found with the mambas i was getting some stringers and was double cutting some passes when i really shouldnt need to. The gator magnums under the same conditions worked better.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-21-2007, 09:23 PM
Envy: We use them on the tank as well as the gravely and my old husky. With the tank I did notice it was a little harder on the clutch when engaging but the quality of cut was great in my opinion.

Envy Lawn Service
03-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Envy: We use them on the tank as well as the gravely and my old husky. With the tank I did notice it was a little harder on the clutch when engaging but the quality of cut was great in my opinion.

Thank you.

They can be no worse in drag than the 3" wide .250" thick highlifts.

This also reminds me that I need to check the air-gap on my clutch.
Have you checked yours on the Tank lately?

It is adjustable to facilitate longer life... provided you adjust it when needed.

I MOW ALONE
03-21-2007, 11:34 PM

got the high lifts today and they are 2.5'' wide.