PDA

View Full Version : Is a Quick36 Easier To Steer Than a "Dual Hydro" Walkbehind?

Katie_A_C
03-19-2007, 12:17 PM
I have been mostly reading threads and trying to learn over the winter but every now and then I have a question.

I think I will add a 36" mower this year also. There is a new subdivision development where many of my dad's friends from the golf course live and all the houses have small gates. My dad has been getting me jobs there over the winter.

My Toro dealer told me to get a "dual hydro" walkbehind because it would be the easiest to operate but then I read this.

Well, I'm just going to tell it like it is...

(The Quick 36" is ) Easier to steer than ANY OTHER COMMERCIAL WALKBEHIND.

The "dual hydro" Toro Walkbehind is more expensive than the Quick36" so now I wonder if I really need to spend the extra money if the Quick36 handles better anyway. :dizzy:

I really want the easiest handling walkbehind because it looks like I will have allot of work this summer. :walking:

Thanks for reading all this.:)

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-19-2007, 12:26 PM
You really want a Quick 36 its very light compared to other WB's and even though its only a single hydro, you will never know the difference. The people at Better Outdoor Products are second to none and provide the best customer service in the biz...Try to call Toro and get the company president on the phone.....

Katie_A_C
03-19-2007, 12:29 PM
So it really is easier to steer than a "dual hydro" walkbehind?

fiveoboy01
03-19-2007, 12:32 PM
With a dual hydro having a wheel motor and drive control lever for each drive wheel, I don't see how a single-hydro can possibly be easier to turn than a dual. You're using your body to turn it.

That being said, a 36" is a small and relatively light mower, and I doubt it would be difficult to turn at all. But not as easy as a dual hydro.

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-19-2007, 12:36 PM
With a WB this light you will never notice the difference and the cost savings alone will make it worth while ..Call Gary at BOP and see if he can find someone close by that you can demo one....just an idea but one that may make up your mind for you ...watch the videos on their website as well.

Katie_A_C
03-19-2007, 12:43 PM
ok, I am actually not worried about the cost saving because my dad agreed to buy me a walkbehind after I proved to him how much business I will have this summer.

I am most worried about having the easiest to steer walkbehind because I will have to try and do 20 of these small lots in a single day, twice a week.:weightlifter:

HydroCutter
03-19-2007, 12:58 PM
I have the Ferris Single Drive 32". It's Ok to turn, but definitely not as easy as a dual. The single can definitely be a PITA sometimes

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-19-2007, 01:29 PM
Katie , It's probably going to come down to personel choice....you need to test a few ....I would look at all options a decide what feels right to you ..That said my choice is still the Q36 ..its super light and easy to turn IMHO. Good Luck and keep asking questions on here ...tons of great people with great advice

Metro Lawn
03-19-2007, 01:35 PM
I would go with a dual motor (true commercial) unit. As your business grows, you'll be glad you did. The dual units are stronger and have a solid reverse. If you ever plan to add a velke or simular, this will be important.

Metro Lawn
03-19-2007, 01:46 PM
You also have to realize this is a mail-order machine with no local dealer or dealer support for service and parts.

BUCKEYE MOWING
03-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Katie, while the Quick 36 is mail order ...you get to use who you want to fix the machine and better will work with you on it ...Its pretty simple to maintain and I would bet that if someone showed you how to do it one time you would be able to fix/maintain darn near anything yourself. Everyone has an opinon and some love this brand or that brand ...it's going to come down to what you like and what feels right.....I am serious call Gary at BOP and ask him questions .
P.S....I have a step saver on my Samurai ..I weigh 175 lbs....and it pulls me like I am not even there......

Scag48
03-19-2007, 02:23 PM
I've been reading more and more about the Quick 36. While I think it's probably a good unit for most, us die hard true commercial unit operators will probably find it cumbersome. I guarantee that it will not out handle a 36" hydro w/b, especially on a hill, whether you're going up and down or across a slope. To me, I like to control both wheels with my hands ONLY, 100% percent control. The biggest advantage the Quick 36 has is it's price. The Samauri is $2700, which is substantially less than a hydro unit from Scag, Exmark, Toro, etc.. I'm looking to buy another 36" within a year and it'll be an Exmark for sure.

mow & snow
03-19-2007, 02:40 PM
I had a 32" Ferris single hydro wb and it was a PITA to turn. Next week I'm going to buy a 36" dual hydro wb.

fiveoboy01
03-19-2007, 02:45 PM
I've been reading more and more about the Quick 36. While I think it's probably a good unit for most, us die hard true commercial unit operators will probably find it cumbersome. I guarantee that it will not out handle a 36" hydro w/b, especially on a hill, whether you're going up and down or across a slope. To me, I like to control both wheels with my hands ONLY, 100% percent control. The biggest advantage the Quick 36 has is it's price. The Samauri is $2700, which is substantially less than a hydro unit from Scag, Exmark, Toro, etc.. I'm looking to buy another 36" within a year and it'll be an Exmark for sure.

I agree. Total control is something I want.

I'm not bashing the Q36, I know it's an excellent mower and you can't get more mower for the $ anywhere. I just don't like the fact that it's a single hydro. Of course I'm sure it could be also offered as a dual, but there goes the great price.

4curbappeal
03-19-2007, 03:54 PM
You really want a Quick 36 its very light compared to other WB's and even though its only a single hydro, you will never know the difference. The people at Better Outdoor Products are second to none and provide the best customer service in the biz...Try to call Toro and get the company president on the phone.....

A single hydro is not easier to steer and meneuver. Trust me, you will be able to tell the difference! Better Outdoor Products has awesome customer service, but this has nothing to do with the question you have asked. If price is not an issue, then go with the Toro!!!!!

Lynden-Jeff
03-19-2007, 05:34 PM
I agree with the above. I have a dual hydro Bobcat wb and its easy as pie to turn. With the bull rider sulky it is awesome, pretty much like a ZTR since the caster sulky will let you utilize reverse. If you want easy to turn Ive heard the hustler trimstar or the wright velky mower are both good choices.

Cheers

Katie_A_C
03-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Now I am really confused:cry: Envy said that the Quick36" is the EASIEST to steer walkbehind but others say that the Toro "dual hydro" walkbehind is even easier.:dizzy:

I tried a Toro "dual" type walkbehind last week and it was very easy to maneuver. Is the Quick36" even easier to steer somehow?????????

I don't want my dad to spend the extra money on the "dual" type if the Quick36" is better:hammerhead:

Lynden-Jeff
03-19-2007, 06:01 PM
There's the bummer about quick 36. No test drives. If you tried the toro and you like it I would go with that one. Personally I will never purchase a piece of equipment I can't test drive.

Cheers
Jeff

Scag48
03-19-2007, 06:06 PM
I can tell you that the Toro isn't more difficult to maneuver than the Quick36, if anything it's easier as it has 2 pumps to counter-rotate the inside tire when turning, the Quick36 does not. Simply put, the T-Bar doesn't get any easier. Go with the Toro, at least you know you'll like it.

The way I see it, there are 3 types of hydro control mowers out there

1) Standard control, 2 pumps, 2 control levers that independently control each drive wheel. These are pistol grip or Exmark's ECS control system.

2) 2 pumps but the user cannot control each wheel independently, this is the Toro T-bar or Hustler hydro w/b's

3) 1 hydro pump and 1 hand control to control forward reverse movement, no independent control of the wheels whatsoever.

Daner
03-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Katie...I find it strange that Envy said that...I see Envy as being very Intelagent in this Industry.
The Quick 36 Is a great little mower...But anyone who says that you will be able to handle A q36 on a hill Is pulling your leg...and you will be very disapointed.
Plain and simple you need dual hydros for any amount of slope...even the slightest slope a single hydro will tell you where it wants to go.
Have you lookked at the Hustler Trimstar...It steers like a bike,,,check It out...It comes in a 36 dual hydro.
also you may just want to ask these guys why they make a dual hydro??
Best of luck In your new adventure
Daner

Katie_A_C
03-19-2007, 07:43 PM
Katie...I find it strange that Envy said that...I see Envy as being very Intelagent in this Industry.

That's why I am confused. Envy clearly said that the Quick36" is the Easiest Commercial Walkbehind to Steer PERIOD. I read it in another thread. Here is the exact quote. Envy must know because he has used both types.

I really liked the Toro with the "dual" hydro but if the "single" hydro is better and less expensive then I may as well buy that instead.

I just want to know why the "single" hydro type is easier to steer than the "dual" type?
:confused:
I called the dealer that showed me the Toro and he told me that I would be better off with a "dual" type and that Toro doesn't even make a "single" hydro type. He said they make a belt driven walkbehind, but it is very difficult to steer.:dizzy:

Scag48
03-19-2007, 07:53 PM
I just want to know why the "single" hydro type is easier to steer than the "dual" type?

A single hydro isn't easier to steer than a dual. I think we've clearly stated that a dual pump hydro is by far a much better machine. Go for the Toro.

Katie_A_C
03-19-2007, 07:58 PM
ok thanks.:)

Mabe Envy will chime in before I ask dad for the Toro 36" "dual" type, just to put my mind at ease.

And just so you know, I bought all the other equipment myself. My dad is buying me the walkbehind because I won a bet that I could get 40 new customers over the winter and I did.:walking:

Lynden-Jeff
03-19-2007, 08:11 PM
You really need to try both to see the difference. I have never tried the toro Tbar but I find my dual hydro pistol gripped machine easier to turn then any single hydro unit. Also like Daner said if you have a hustler dealer around a trimstar might be something to look at and it is possibly cheaper. Do you have a hustler dealer in guelph Daner? We have no hustler dealers anywhere near us.

Cheers
Jeff

fiveoboy01
03-19-2007, 08:23 PM

Mabe Envy will chime in before I ask dad for the Toro 36" "dual" type, just to put my mind at ease.

And just so you know, I bought all the other equipment myself. My dad is buying me the walkbehind because I won a bet that I could get 40 new customers over the winter and I did.:walking:

Envy is a very smart individual, and gets a lot of respect here. And in my opinion, for good reason. I enjoy reading his posts and learn quite a bit from him.

But just because "Envy said it" doesn't mean it's true. Some things are matters of opinion.

If you gained 40 new accounts over the winter, that means you must have around 50 total? That's 7 lawns a day provided you work a full 7-day workweek. Better get rid of that timecrapper before it takes a dump on you...

Katie_A_C
03-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Well, thanks for the advice.:waving:

I was just curious how the "single" type was easier to steer for Envy than the "dual" type. I want to make sure I get the best one since it's a gift from dad (which is very rare):cool2:

ed2hess
03-19-2007, 08:43 PM
Unfortunately I guess you can't test drive the Quick....but if you could take it in a ditch area and mow the slopes. You will quickly see how much strength it takes to keep the mower going straight. Everything is great with the single hydro on flat surfaces but on slopes it is a killer period. I would not want to drive this unit 6 hours a day......the dual hydro would be like going to heaven in comparison.

lifetree
03-19-2007, 08:47 PM
With a dual hydro having a wheel motor and drive control lever for each drive wheel, I don't see how a single-hydro can possibly be easier to turn than a dual. You're using your body to turn it.

That being said, a 36" is a small and relatively light mower, and I doubt it would be difficult to turn at all. But not as easy as a dual hydro.

Katie -- fiveoboy01 is right about a dual hydro being easier to steer than a single hydro, however, what you haven't asked is whether the Q-36 would be easier to put on the trailer than a dual hydro and the answer is a resounding yes ... the Q-36 weighs in at about 300 pounds and a dual hydro unit weighs in at about 500 pounds ... for a woman trying to put a WB on a trailer that may acutally need to be the deciding factor. However, it's your decision.

Katie_A_C
03-19-2007, 08:50 PM
My trailer has a ramp. Why can't I just drive the walkbehind up the ramp under power like I did with the ZTR???????????????????????

Do I have to push it up there for some reason:cry:

Katie_A_C
03-19-2007, 08:51 PM
the Q-36 weighs in at about 300 pounds and a dual hydro unit weighs in at about 500 pounds ... for a woman trying to put a WB on a trailer that may acutally need to be the deciding factor. However, it's your decision.

My trailer has a ramp. Why can't I just drive the walkbehind up the ramp under power like I did with the ZTR???????????????????????

fiveoboy01
03-19-2007, 08:56 PM
I don't get it either...

If the trailer has a ramp, why does it matter?

ProStreetCamaro
03-19-2007, 08:59 PM

LOL yes you can drive it up with no problem. the only time you may need to push it would be if the unit broke down.

Go with the Toro hands down IMO.

lifetree
03-19-2007, 09:06 PM
My trailer has a ramp. Why can't I just drive the walkbehind up the ramp under power like I did with the ZTR ??????????????

Katie -- Yes, you can "drive it up" the ramp ... however, the issue has to do with the length of the wheel base of the WB, from front caster to rear edge. As an example, I had a Snapper PRO WB (fixed deck, not floating deck) and the wheel base length was about 63" inches and the ramp on my trailer is 4 feet long ... when the front wheels got up on the trailer, the rear wheels are still far enough back on the ramp that when you are going forward the deck will begin to drag on the ramp at the mid-point of the deck ... therefore, you have to apply downward pressure on the handle bars to raise the front wheels until the rear wheels are high enough on the ramp to make up the difference for the longer wheel base ... with the Q-36 the wheel base is only 45 inches long, therefore, you would not have this problem.

How do I know this ... I have a Billy Goat 33" WB and it is only 2 inches less than the Q-36 (i.e.-43 inch wheel base) and it goes completely up the ramp of my trailer without dragging the deck and without me having to raise the front wheels to put it on the trailer.

Does this all make sense ... sometimes it's hard to explain something like this in written form.

Lynden-Jeff
03-19-2007, 09:09 PM

Yep you can. My guys ride up sulky and all.

Unfortunately I guess you can't test drive the Quick....but if you could take it in a ditch area and mow the slopes. You will quickly see how much strength it takes to keep the mower going straight. Everything is great with the single hydro on flat surfaces but on slopes it is a killer period. I would not want to drive this unit 6 hours a day......the dual hydro would be like going to heaven in comparison.

I agree and for me my w/b is mainly used for ditchs and hard to access places.

Cheers
Jeff

Katie_A_C
03-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Katie -- Yes, you can "drive it up" the ramp ... however, the issue has to do with the length of the wheel base of the WB, from front caster to rear edge. As an example, I had a Snapper PRO WB (fixed deck, not floating deck) and the wheel base length was about 63" inches and the ramp on my trailer is 4 feet long ... when the front wheels got up on the trailer, the rear wheels are still far enough back on the ramp that when you are going forward the deck will begin to drag on the ramp at the mid-point of the deck ... therefore, you have to apply downward pressure on the handle bars to raise the front wheels until the rear wheels are high enough on the ramp to make up the difference for the longer wheel base ... with the Q-36 the wheel base is only 45 inches long, therefore, you would not have this problem.

How do I know this ... I have a Billy Goat 33" WB and it is only 2 inches less than the Q-36 (i.e.-43 inch wheel base) and it goes completely up the ramp of my trailer without dragging the deck and without me having to raise the front wheels to put it on the trailer.

Does this all make sense ... sometimes it's hard to explain something like this in written form.

Thanks!:waving:

I will go the the Toro dealer tomorrow with my trailer and see how hard it is to drive up the ramp. If the "dual" type is difficult to drive on the trailer then I may still end up buying the Quick36".:clapping:

Mabe that is what Envy was talking about when he said the Quick36 is the best commercial walkbehind for steering. :)

fiveoboy01
03-19-2007, 10:03 PM
I doubt it would be much of an issue. My 48" TTHP can sometimes get the deck stuck on the top of the ramp depending on the ramp angle. I just put all my weight on the handlebars and with enough forward combined with the uphill angle of the ramp, the deck lifts right up without much effort. Generally I'll drive it all the way up onto the deck of the trailer on the rear wheels.

I wouldn't recommend trying that though until you're familliar and have practiced with the mower's controls.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
03-19-2007, 10:22 PM
Katie , It's probably going to come down to personel choice....you need to test a few ....I would look at all options a decide what feels right to you ..That said my choice is still the Q36 ..its super light and easy to turn IMHO. Good Luck and keep asking questions on here ...tons of great people with great advice

My question to you is have you used a dual hydro walkbehind for any length of time?

4curbappeal
03-19-2007, 10:30 PM
The Quick 36 Is a great little mower...But anyone who says that you will be able to handle A q36 on a hill Is pulling your leg...and you will be very disapointed.
Plain and simple you need dual hydros for any amount of slope...even the slightest slope a single hydro will tell you where it wants to go.
Have you lookked at the Hustler Trimstar...It steers like a bike,,,check It out...It comes in a 36 dual hydro.
also you may just want to ask these guys why they make a dual hydro??
Best of luck In your new adventure
Daner

Katie,

If you have a Hustler dealer around go demo the Trim Star! I have a Trim Star 36 and think that it's the best! I have owned Exmark, Toro and Q36 to name a few and Hustler is the easiest. My second choice as I stated earlier would be the Toro w/ the T-bar steering. Good luck and hope you are happy with your choice!

Rons Rightway Lawncare
03-19-2007, 10:34 PM

Is Envy smarter than everyone else here? Because he has alot of posts his word is Gospel? I don't know him personally, and have read alot of his posts and believe he is fairly smart... but heck he owns a Lesco ZTR! need I say more? :hammerhead:

Bottom line Katie, is with the Quick 36, you have to PUSH the mower around to steer it, just like a little pushmower. With a dual hydro mower, you don't push anything, you just control the speed of each wheel with your hands on the levers, So if you want to go left, you slow the left wheel down by squeezing in the left lever.... In other words there is little physical effort needed to steer a dual hydro walkbehind, but you do have to use physical effort to steer a single hydro walkbehind.

Also to throw in 2 more cents, I would not own a dual hydro walkbehind that did not allow you the option of making one wheel go forward while the other goes backwards, like the Hustler or Toro with T bar if they work like some of these guys say they do. To turn sharply and in tight spaces, it is nice to have true ZERO turn radius.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
03-19-2007, 10:41 PM

You need a longer ramp, or you need to get a new hitch that will raise the tongue of your trailer. you might be surprised how a 4 inch extension to the rear gate or raising the hitch up 2 or 3 inches, can make the ramp angle much less of a bother.

Katie_A_C
03-19-2007, 10:43 PM
ok ok ok:)

I am just being careful because I want the easiest steering walkbehind due to the number of those small yards I will be cutting next year and Envy sounded so convinced that the Quick36" was the best and he seems to know allot about mowers. Anyway, I will make sure that I can easily drive the Toro on my trailer first.:eek:

lifetree
03-19-2007, 10:49 PM
I doubt it would be much of an issue. My 48" TTHP can sometimes get the deck stuck on the top of the ramp depending on the ramp angle. I just put all my weight on the handlebars and with enough forward combined with the uphill angle of the ramp, the deck lifts right up without much effort. Generally I'll drive it all the way up onto the deck of the trailer on the rear wheels.

I wouldn't recommend trying that though until you're familliar and have practiced with the mower's controls.

This is a valid comment ... I'm just trying to let Katie know that for her the added weight of a full size WB may, or may not, be an issue ... and it sounds like she's going to do the next step of research and take her trailer to test how she will do with the Toro WB ... from there she can make an informed decision.

lifetree
03-19-2007, 10:53 PM
Also Katie ... Congratulations on getting 40 new accounts over the winter, that illustrates a hard working person and a "can do" attitude ... something that is very rare in this day and age, especially for a young person ... keep up the good work.

Lynden-Jeff
03-19-2007, 11:06 PM
ok ok ok:)

I am just being careful because I want the easiest steering walkbehind due to the number of those small yards I will be cutting next year and Envy sounded so convinced that the Quick36" was the best and he seems to know allot about mowers. Anyway, I will make sure that I can easily drive the Toro on my trailer first.:eek:

Worst case scenario is the deck scapes a little, and with a 36" you could easily pop a little wheelie if you didn't want to raise your hitch to accommodate. Most trailer ramps are long enough but you will see what we mean. I would not go with another mower simply because the deck scapes a bit, there really is no comparison to a quick 36 and a dual hydro commercial wb.

Cheers and good luck!

Jeff

Rons Rightway Lawncare
03-19-2007, 11:15 PM
Katie, read this thread..... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=179793 I personally may never go back to owning a 36 inch walkbehind. For a extra few hundred bucks I believe the machine I just bought will be far more productive and certainly easier to steer!

Lynden-Jeff
03-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Katie, read this thread..... http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=179793 I personally may never go back to owning a 36 inch walkbehind. For a extra few hundred bucks I believe the machine I just bought will be far more productive and certainly easier to steer!

Speaking of, if I had a lot of back yards I think a 32" wright stander (we do not have dane around here) would be awesome. If you have a wright dealership near you it is definitely an option not to be overlooked.

Cheers
Jeff

justanotherlawnguy
03-20-2007, 01:43 AM
I just bought a used eXmark TTHP 36. I cannot imagine a better walk behind mower out there.

After having a Metro for the last 3 years, which I recently sold, I thought about just canceling my remaining customers that had gates where the 60 could not fit. Then I came across a gem of a TTHP for sale. OMFG the difference is huge.

Whats the point to my ramble:

I would take the used eXmark anyday over a new BOP Quick mower.

By the way, who wants to call Toro and speak to the pres anyway? Even if you could, he would try and sell you his product.

Scag48
03-20-2007, 05:50 AM
As for the mower getting hung up on the ramp, that shouldn't be an issue. I'd get hung up every once in a while if I had the deck set low, but even then it didn't take much to get over. The best way to get up the ramp without ever hanging up is to just wheelie the last couple feet. Pretty easy to do with a sulky! :drinkup:

nobagger
03-20-2007, 06:28 AM

I agree 100%. With dual hydro's the machine is turning itself via pumps and controls but with a single hydro your assisting the machine to do the same thing. Now dont take offense but for a guy it might not make any difference but usually women dont have the upper body strength and half way through the day become very tired. But a single hydro is still by far better than a belt driven mower, I'm even tired after running our Metro HP after a few lawns. But like fiveoboy said, its a smaller mower, not like your trying to turn a 60" w/b. From all of the great reviews about the Better Quick mowers, I wouldnt hesitate about getting one.

Daner
03-20-2007, 08:52 AM
You really need to try both to see the difference. I have never tried the toro Tbar but I find my dual hydro pistol gripped machine easier to turn then any single hydro unit. Also like Daner said if you have a hustler dealer around a trimstar might be something to look at and it is possibly cheaper. Do you have a hustler dealer in guelph Daner? We have no hustler dealers anywhere near us.

Cheers
Jeff

Hi Jeff...and yes there a Hustler Dealer In Burlington...Al's Lawnmower and small engine:) ...thats where I got mine...Katie you do the math I paid 3200 for mine thats Ca dollars...it was a 2006 model and it was a end of the yr deal. Make sure you try them all out pick the controls that suits you best...one thing that i love with my trimstar besides the very cool steering ..Is the 1 pull starting...1 pull and that quiet Kawi engin Is ready for biz. Try the Toro as well and the quick 36...so we are fair to all the wb companys...Also with any of the above i don't think too much will go wrong as far as break downs etc. But once you get your arms behind any of these small walk behinds you will see what I and some others where trying to explain to you what the difference Is.
One other thing...when you do buy your new machine...make sure you read that manual front to back
Learn all the saftey rules...and take it easy when cutting on any slopes etc...just be safe.
Now get out there and do some demos...I want to hear your report on single and dual hydros and the diff models:usflag: :canadaflag:
Daner

Daner
03-20-2007, 09:11 AM
Katie -- fiveoboy01 is right about a dual hydro being easier to steer than a single hydro, however, what you haven't asked is whether the Q-36 would be easier to put on the trailer than a dual hydro and the answer is a resounding yes ... the Q-36 weighs in at about 300 pounds and a dual hydro unit weighs in at about 500 pounds ... for a woman trying to put a WB on a trailer that may acutally need to be the deciding factor. However, it's your decision.

Lifetree Do you think we expect Katie to lift her new walkbehind on her trailer...My goodness...a push old fashion reel mower weighs 20 lbs...would you sugest she buys one of those. She can put a ZTR on her trailer ...an extra 200 lbs wont make any diference.

petekief
03-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Get your dad to give you the money for the Quick 36 and Upgrade to a duel pump duel control hydro - the controls on the cub commercial units work just like a Z - that would be the easiest mower to walk behind in my opinion

martinfan06
03-20-2007, 11:55 AM
I have to agree with fiveoboy here,I mean okay yes envy is very knowledgeable member here but goosh come on. Make your OWN decision try both and go from there.

Lynden-Jeff
03-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Hi Jeff...and yes there a Hustler Dealer In Burlington...Al's Lawnmower and small engine:) ...thats where I got mine...Katie you do the math I paid 3200 for mine thats Ca dollars...it was a 2006 model and it was a end of the yr deal. Make sure you try them all out pick the controls that suits you best...one thing that i love with my trimstar besides the very cool steering ..Is the 1 pull starting...1 pull and that quiet Kawi engin Is ready for biz. Try the Toro as well and the quick 36...so we are fair to all the wb companys...Also with any of the above i don't think too much will go wrong as far as break downs etc. But once you get your arms behind any of these small walk behinds you will see what I and some others where trying to explain to you what the difference Is.
One other thing...when you do buy your new machine...make sure you read that manual front to back
Learn all the saftey rules...and take it easy when cutting on any slopes etc...just be safe.
Now get out there and do some demos...I want to hear your report on single and dual hydros and the diff models:usflag: :canadaflag:
Daner

Really? I lived in Burlington for 19 years of my life and Ive never heard of Al's lawnmower and small engine. Where abouts is it?Learn something new every day!

Cheers
Jeff

Vikings
03-20-2007, 05:50 PM
I seen that video of a quick 36 and sulkey and the turning didn't look easy at all but when walking behind it, it looked easy.

lifetree
03-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Lifetree Do you think we expect Katie to lift her new walkbehind on her trailer...My goodness...a push old fashion reel mower weighs 20 lbs...would you sugest she buys one of those. She can put a ZTR on her trailer ...an extra 200 lbs wont make any diference.

Daner -- You're going to extremes with this comment ... of course I don't expect her to go to a reel mower. However, the difference between 300 lbs. and 500 lbs. can make a difference to some people, even men. I have simply suggested that katie may want to satisfy herself about this potentiality.

Now dont take offense but for a guy it might not make any difference but usually women dont have the upper body strength and half way through the day become very tired.

See Daner -- I'm not the only one that is suggesting it may be something she wants to investigate before she makes a purchase decision.

lifetree
03-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Katie -- Where are you, we're all waiting to hear how your "test drive" went at the Toro dealer today ... remember you said that were going to take your trailer over there and see what you think ??

Daner
03-20-2007, 06:09 PM
Really? I lived in Burlington for 19 years of my life and Ive never heard of Al's lawnmower and small engine. Where abouts is it?Learn something new every day!

Cheers
Jeff

Here yaa go Jeff: Al's Lawnmower 1421 Grahams Line
905-634-2800

If your ever out my way drop by for a cold pop
Daner

Daner
03-20-2007, 06:29 PM
Daner -- You're going to extremes with this comment ... of course I don't expect her to go to a reel mower. However, the difference between 300 lbs. and 500 lbs. can make a difference to some people, even men. I have simply suggested that katie may want to satisfy herself about this potentiality.

See Daner -- I'm not the only one that is suggesting it may be something she wants to investigate before she makes a purchase decision.

LifeTree: Nobagger was not talking about putting the machine on the trailer... LOL...Read his post...
Training and practice Is the key to operating any machine

Lynden-Jeff
03-20-2007, 07:36 PM
Here yaa go Jeff: Al's Lawnmower 1421 Grahams Line
905-634-2800

If your ever out my way drop by for a cold pop
Daner

Sounds good man.

Cheers and thanks again.

Jeff

Howard Roark
03-20-2007, 10:25 PM
You guys still think "Katie" is a real person??

Man oh man....you've all been had again!:hammerhead:

Katie_A_C
03-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Well, I went to the Toro dealer today with my trailer and I drove the T-Bar "Dual" type 36" Walkbehind up and down the ramp and it was very easy. The mower scraped the edge where the ramp and floor meet slightly but it will still go easily :clapping:

I asked the dealer about the "single" type walkbehinds and he said that it was impossible for them to be easier to steer because with the "dual" type, you have separate control of each wheel. He also tried to sell me a mulch kit and special blades.

I think I will go with this Toro because I already have a ZTR and my brother said I should have the walkbehind type for the small properties in the subdivision and for ditches and hills. My brother used to cut lawns when he was my age but he gave up the business when he went into the Police Academy.

Does Quick36" make a "dual" type also? Maybe that is what Envy was talking about :confused:

Howard Roark
03-20-2007, 10:50 PM
I rest my case.

Lynden-Jeff
03-20-2007, 10:53 PM
Does Quick36" make a "dual" type also? Maybe that is what Envy was talking about :confused:

They don't. Im sure envy was just over stressing about the ease of steering. Do you really plan on mulching? I find it a waste of time, side discharge with a double cut every so often in the rain seems to do it for us. Gaterblades IMO are no good for anything except leaves.

Cheers
Jeff

Katie_A_C
03-20-2007, 11:10 PM
I will try the mulching kit and the special blades. I did quite allot of reading in older threads over the winter and mulching seems like a good idea.

Last year I mostly bagged with the 21" mower or side discharged with the lawn tractor.:waving:

TGK
03-21-2007, 08:01 AM
Katie I toyed with the price of mowers, and i was paying for my own. Let me give you this piece of advice. If you buy a mower just because it is cheap, you are in a real bad posisition when it breaks. You have customers relying on you and noone to fix it right up/ lend you a mower for a week. If you really want to get into this long term, build a good relationship with a local dealer who also services what he sells. And do yourself a favor dont think 2wice about it. :)

lifetree
03-21-2007, 09:26 AM
Well, I went to the Toro dealer today with my trailer and I drove the T-Bar "Dual" type 36" Walkbehind up and down the ramp and it was very easy. The mower scraped the edge where the ramp and floor meet slightly but it will still go easily.

Katie -- At least now know that it will work for you, good luck on your WB and the business this year.

Katie_A_C
03-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Thanks everyone for your help!:clapping:

Today I went and picked up the 36" Toro "dual" type walkbehind (my dad told me after that he hoped I would chose the Quick36" because it costs less:laugh:).

He bought me the mower because I won a bet about how many accounts I could get over the winter. I bought all my other equipment, except for the 21" which was used and given to me by my brother.

I also bought the mulch kit that the dealer recommended and will try that out in the Spring:dancing:

I think I am much better prepared this year than last and allot of it has to due with this great forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greengiant9963
03-21-2007, 09:24 PM

Today I went and picked up the 36" Toro "dual" type walkbehind (my dad told me after that he hoped I would chose the Quick36" because it costs less:laugh:).

He bought me the mower because I won a bet about how many accounts I could get over the winter. I bought all my other equipment, except for the 21" which was used and given to me by my brother.

I also bought the mulch kit that the dealer recommended and will try that out in the Spring:dancing:

I think I am much better prepared this year than last and allot of it has to due with this great forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goodluck with your new mower Katie. Just wanted to add that mulching kits are nice but are tuff to use on Northern grasses. Especially in the spring. I ran a couple different mulch kits on my exmark mowers a few years back and never could get good results from mulching. Alot of clumped up grass and headaches. To get good results the grass has to be dry and not taking more than one or two inches off cutting. I do know alot of guys on here that mulch in the southern states but different grass types they have there work well for mulching.

Lynden-Jeff
03-21-2007, 09:27 PM
Goodluck with your new mower Katie. Just wanted to add that mulching kits are nice but are tuff to use on Northern grasses. Especially in the spring. I ran a couple different mulch kits on my exmark mowers a few years back and never could get good results from mulching. Alot of clumped up grass and headaches. To get good results the grass has to be dry and not taking more than one or two inches off cutting. I do know alot of guys on here that mulch in the southern states but different grass types they have there work well for mulching.

Yep I know of no one that mulches near me, all discharge and double cut if nessesary.

Cheers

Envy Lawn Service
03-21-2007, 09:53 PM

Sorry Katie...

I just totally missed your thread until now.

I've been on here, but only by clicking links in "reply notification" e-mails from direct threads I had been involved in.

You have already purchased the Toro now, so I guess anything I have to say is a moot point now.

Anyways, just to clarify what I said about the Quick 36 being the easiest to steer...
(just for clarification and future benefit)

First... a Quick 36 is NOT a dual drive and cannot power one wheel forward and power one wheel in reverse at the same time. But it does what it is designed to do very well with far less operator input than a dual hydro.

On your Toro...
Know how you have those two pistol grips?
Know how you have to set your speed?
Know how you have to SQUEEZE those pistol grips just right to stop, turn, ect?

Well with the Quick 36 you don't have to fool with any of that.
Nor do you need as much hand grip to get it done.

It just has a forward/reverse speed control on the right side for speed and direction.
This hand control works just like a hydro lawn tractor foot pedal does.
Squeeze it to go forward, squeeze in more to go faster forward. (easy squeeze)
There is a thumb lever on it you press for reverse.
The thumb part IS a little stiff though.

The left handle has a top lever to press down and hold to the handlebar.
It's an operator presence control with a bonus feature....
If you release it, the brakes automatically come on and stop the machine. (slick)

Navigating/Steering it is as simple as pointing it where you want to go. (Literally)

The best way I know to explain how the single hydro drive on the quick works is this...

It's a hydro transaxle and it has a differential like most anything you drive with a steering wheel. And by differential, I mean it has a slip differential in the center of the drive.

Ever seen a lawn tractor, car, or truck STUCK with ONE tire spinning?
That's a 'slip differential' in action... Sucks when you are stuck, because it allows the drive to take the path of least resistance... but it's used to make lawn tractors, cars, trucks and things with steering wheels easier to steer.

How this applies to the Quick 36 is how you steer it.

If you want to go left you just guide it left like you would a 21" mower.
But the effort required is much less!!!

How it steers this easy is if you guide it left, the drive seamlessly takes the path of least resistance... which means the drive power shifts from both rear tires, to just the right rear tire... and the left tire stops propelling the mower on that side.

So driving it is just as simple as squeezing until you reach the desired speed, and pointing it where you want to go.

In girl terms, it's like driving a self propelled baby stroller.

If you can drive a shopping cart, you can drive a Quick 36.

Lynden-Jeff
03-21-2007, 10:00 PM
On your Toro...
Know how you have those two pistol grips?
Know how you have to set your speed?
Know how you have to SQUEEZE those pistol grips just right to stop, turn, ect?

In girl terms, it's like driving a self propelled baby stroller.

If you can drive a shopping cart, you can drive a Quick 36.

The toro im sure is a T-Bar, aka as easy or easier to turn then a quick36. Have you ever used your quick36 on a hill? Not easy at all. NOTHING compared to a dual drive hydro. Even if Katie AC is a legit and not a troll, your making her seem like an idiot. You don't need a degree to operate a walk behind, whatever type it is. A dual drive hydro is simply better then a single, end of story. A single hydro is better then a belt.

fiveoboy01
03-21-2007, 10:07 PM
That explanation certainly makes sense and is all fine and dandy until you switch from level ground to mowing slopes...

You are still using upper body strength(strength being a relative term here, I realize there's not THAT much effort involved) to manipulate the mower's direction in any situation. Certainly the open diff makes it easier, but a dual-hydro is much more controllable, especially on hills, and only requires hand squeeze to control direction and not any kind of arm or upper body use.

If you can afford it, the dual-hydro owns the single hydro in any situation, period, end of story.

lifetree
03-21-2007, 10:15 PM

Today I went and picked up the 36" Toro "dual" type walkbehind (my dad told me after that he hoped I would chose the Quick36" because it costs less).

Katie -- I understand that you won the be with your Dad, however, is the situation that he is giving you the Toro WB that you got ? Or, has he "loaned" you the money for it ?

lifetree
03-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Katie -- Are you going to post pictures of your new WB and other equipment ?

Lynden-Jeff
03-21-2007, 10:39 PM
Katie -- Are you going to post pictures of your new WB and other equipment ?

Good idea.

Envy Lawn Service
03-22-2007, 12:27 AM
That explanation certainly makes sense and is all fine and dandy until you switch from level ground to mowing slopes...

You are still using upper body strength(strength being a relative term here, I realize there's not THAT much effort involved) to manipulate the mower's direction in any situation. Certainly the open diff makes it easier, but a dual-hydro is much more controllable, especially on hills, and only requires hand squeeze to control direction and not any kind of arm or upper body use.

If you can afford it, the dual-hydro owns the single hydro in any situation, period, end of story.

The toro im sure is a T-Bar, aka as easy or easier to turn then a quick36. Have you ever used your quick36 on a hill? Not easy at all. NOTHING compared to a dual drive hydro. Even if Katie AC is a legit and not a troll, your making her seem like an idiot. You don't need a degree to operate a walk behind, whatever type it is. A dual drive hydro is simply better then a single, end of story. A single hydro is better then a belt.

Wow... I didn't mean anything bad at all in the way I explained things to her.

No... I have not operated a Quick 36 on a slope.
I do understand the concept though.
I realize with the open differential that you would have to guide it straight across a slope.
The machine is so light that maybe I under estimate the operator input required.
Doesn't seem like it would be a lot, but until you do it you can't know.
Up and down slopes would be fine, except areas so bad positive traction is needed.

At the price point... and at the weight scale... can you fairly pit it with a dual drive?
I don't think so... especially when she never said a word about hills.
She may not do any and the whole miniscule point would be void.
And... this is the only valid 'pro' on the chalkboard for the dual drive really.

The Quick 36 is...

Simplier in design, function, learning curve and operaton.
It's drive manners appear way more turf friendly.
It's only 206-310 pounds. (Toro = 519 or 528)
It's only 59" long for those tight lawns it should be mowing. (Toro = 74" or 82.5")

This is a good page to visit if you haven't.

http://www.betteroutdoorproducts.com/?page=Quick+36+Tour%5FL%2Ehtm

And yes... the Quick 36 would sure beat using a belt drive.

fiveoboy01
03-22-2007, 12:44 AM
Oh, I think you offered an excellent explanation. And I don't think you can put it in the same category as a dual drive walk behind. That is why I said go with the dual hydro if you can afford the extra cost.

The Scag SHTM I have has the same open-diff drive as the Q36, but it's a gear drive, not hydro. On a side hill, I need to input quite a bit of steering correction to keep it going straight. I don't see why it would be any different with the open diff on the Q36(I'm not sure that hydro vs gear drive would make much of a difference here).

There's nothing wrong with the Q36 - I have considered one for 1/8ish acre and smaller lots.

Envy Lawn Service
03-22-2007, 12:52 AM
Oh, I think you offered an excellent explanation. And I don't think you can put it in the same category as a dual drive walk behind. That is why I said go with the dual hydro if you can afford the extra cost.

The Scag SHTM I have has the same open-diff drive as the Q36, but it's a gear drive, not hydro. On a side hill, I need to input quite a bit of steering correction to keep it going straight. I don't see why it would be any different with the open diff on the Q36(I'm not sure that hydro vs gear drive would make much of a difference here).

There's nothing wrong with the Q36 - I have considered one for 1/8ish acre and smaller lots.

Yeah.... and it's all a moot point now anyways because she already got the Toro.

Katie_A_C
03-22-2007, 01:26 AM

Envy, I'm glad you finally responded but I'm still confused:confused:

Did, I buy the wrong mower??????????????????????

I wanted the easiest to steer because I have to do 20 small lots twice a week and I know from last year that it is hard work and I need to make it easier and I am no wussy girl either. I can work hard. :weightlifter:

Richard Martin
03-22-2007, 02:51 AM
Did, I buy the wrong mower??????????????????????

I wanted the easiest to steer because I have to do 20 small lots twice a week and I know from last year that it is hard work and I need to make it easier and I am no wussy girl either. I can work hard. :weightlifter:

You did not buy the wrong mower. The Quick 36 is a fine mower and has it's place but it does have it's limitations. I have seen vidoes of "pros" using it for going up and down hills but I have yet to see anyone using it with a sulky day after day or for going sideways on hills. The Toro dual hydro will do anything that the Quick 36 can and more.

Lynden-Jeff
03-22-2007, 07:32 AM
You ABSOLUTLY did not buy the wrong mower. Any commercial operator will know that dual drive> Single drive. Weight doesn't matter AT ALL, you have 2 hydro's to move the mower! I'm sure the q36 is fine and dandy for flat surfaces but all around its a mower for people who can't afford a real hydro wb.

Soupy
03-22-2007, 07:59 AM
Envy, Have you used a Toro hydro with T-Bar? Have you used a Quick 36? Just curious.

PearceLawn
03-22-2007, 08:29 AM
You ABSOLUTLY did not buy the wrong mower. Any commercial operator will know that dual drive> Single drive. Weight doesn't matter AT ALL, you have 2 hydro's to move the mower! I'm sure the q36 is fine and dandy for flat surfaces but all around its a mower for people who can't afford a real hydro wb.

Or for those who choose not to spend the hard earned dollars on a "real" hydro. I have a Ferris 32" single hydro and will soon have a Q36 by choice. Money is there but no reason to spend it if I don't have to.

It comes down to your preference. I notice you have a 32" gear drive, I am sure it is not for lack of funds to buy a "real" hydro, is it?

Lynden-Jeff
03-22-2007, 02:11 PM
Or for those who choose not to spend the hard earned dollars on a "real" hydro. I have a Ferris 32" single hydro and will soon have a Q36 by choice. Money is there but no reason to spend it if I don't have to.

It comes down to your preference. I notice you have a 32" gear drive, I am sure it is not for lack of funds to buy a "real" hydro, is it?

The 32 is for sale. Bobcat does not make a hydro 32" or I would have purchased it. See that hydro 48? That took the 32's place. I understand that some may prefer the small machine but in the end it is not build like a dual hydro and does not have the comparable power. Its comparing a Honda to a Buick. Some people may prefer the Buick but the Honda is a better car. Don't even get me started on FERRIS. I wouldn't touch a Ferris is my life depended on it!

PearceLawn
03-22-2007, 02:25 PM
The 32 is for sale. Bobcat does not make a hydro 32" or I would have purchased it. See that hydro 48? That took the 32's place. I understand that some may prefer the small machine but in the end it is not build like a dual hydro and does not have the comparable power. Its comparing a Honda to a Buick. Some people may prefer the Buick but the Honda is a better car. Don't even get me started on FERRIS. I wouldn't touch a Ferris is my life depended on it!

I agree with you about the power and how they are built. No doubt about it. And everyone has their preferences in the machines they use (that is strictly regarding the Ferris comment,nothing else) My comment was just about folks choosing to buy the machine, not having to but the machine because they cannot afford a real hydro.

With only 2 years under your belt you certainly have some strong opinions!!

Didn't mean to upset you so much. I promise not to do it any more.

Lynden-Jeff
03-22-2007, 02:56 PM
I agree with you about the power and how they are built. No doubt about it. And everyone has their preferences in the machines they use (that is strictly regarding the Ferris comment,nothing else) My comment was just about folks choosing to buy the machine, not having to but the machine because they cannot afford a real hydro.

With only 2 years under your belt you certainly have some strong opinions!!

Didn't mean to upset you so much. I promise not to do it any more.

2 years owning my own company however I have been working for others for 5. I understand some people will like quick36's and I don't even mind them my self however if its between a Toro Hydro Tbar and a quick36 the decision for me is clear. If I had girls that need to operate a mower it would be a hydro, easier to operate in tough conditions like hills etc. Anyways what does this matter, I'm against walk behinds all together lol! We only really use ours for ditches and steep hills. Also you didn't upset me, if it sounded like that I didn't mean it to, I just have strong opinions! :weightlifter: :laugh:

Cheers
Jeff

Daner
03-22-2007, 04:38 PM
It hard to get us all to agree on this matter...But anyway...I think Katie got herself one nice machine there...I tried the Toro last summer along with the Quick 36 and then the Hustler Trimstar...I bought the Hustler...because I liked the steering...not to say that there's anything wrong with the toro steering...but it was my preference...plus It suited my purpose. One thing I can add Is they all cut nice .The Quick 36 Is a great little back yard machine...and there all very well built IMO.
I would practice with the blades off...and go slow at first...Read that Manual front to back...and yes, lets see some pictures of that new machine...and then maybe some stripes.
Daner:waving:

GPDesign1
03-22-2007, 05:24 PM
c'mon guys... can't we put this one to rest? :hammerhead:

Toro builds a fine machine... I think every girl should own one. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously; Comparing a Quick 36 and a dual-drive is kinda like comparing an F-250 with a dump truck. If one has a use for a dump truck, then the $50K price tag may be justified. But a Pickup is what most folks need for everyday use and it costs half as much.

Dual drives have their uses and we're not down on the concept at all. But currently they're way over-priced for what most people want. We may fix that problem however at sometime in the near future...

For normal everyday mowing, it's hard to beat the value of a Quick 36. A person could buy 72 inches of Quick's for about the same price as one 36" DD.

Enjoy your Toro Katie and congrats on your business. :drinkup:

gp

brucec32
03-22-2007, 05:46 PM
Assuming you're going with the 36" size for gates and small props, you don't want a big long midsize mower. Even hydro, they aren't that great in turns in tight areas.

The Quick 36 is so much lighter and shorter it likely makes up for any manhandling you'd have to do in turns. The cut will be better most likely, also, since it's a shorter wheelbase. Definitely better than the Toro fixed 36" deck (I have the 32"...ok, but no prize winner)

Richard Martin
03-22-2007, 07:33 PM
But currently they're way over-priced for what most people want. We may fix that problem however at sometime in the near future...

Now one of those I'll take if you'll sell it to me.*trucewhiteflag*

jaybow
03-22-2007, 09:07 PM
That's why I am confused. Envy clearly said that the Quick36" is the Easiest Commercial Walkbehind to Steer PERIOD. I read it in another thread. Here is the exact quote. Envy must know because he has used both types.

I really liked the Toro with the "dual" hydro but if the "single" hydro is better and less expensive then I may as well buy that instead.

:confused:
I called the dealer that showed me the Toro and he told me that I would be better off with a "dual" type and that Toro doesn't even make a "single" hydro type. He said they make a belt driven walkbehind, but it is very difficult to steer.:dizzy:

Well I have the quick 36 samarai and its a great machine but I cant see why it would be easier to steer than a dual hydro.I have used it verry little but hopefully my buisness will do well this year and be able to get a dual hydro next year.

Howard Roark
03-22-2007, 11:01 PM
c'mon guys... can't we put this one to rest? :hammerhead:

Toro builds a fine machine... I think every girl should own one. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

But seriously; Comparing a Quick 36 and a dual-drive is kinda like comparing an F-250 with a dump truck. If one has a use for a dump truck, then the $50K price tag may be justified. But a Pickup is what most folks need for everyday use and it costs half as much.

Dual drives have their uses and we're not down on the concept at all. But currently they're way over-priced for what most people want. We may fix that problem however at sometime in the near future...

For normal everyday mowing, it's hard to beat the value of a Quick 36. A person could buy 72 inches of Quick's for about the same price as one 36" DD.

Enjoy your Toro Katie and congrats on your business. :drinkup:

gp

Save that breath Gary, Katie isn't a real person, "she's" a guy from Canada posing as one to get a rise out of people on here. Although, he could be a girl as well, in which case it would be a brilliant display of trickery!

Lynden-Jeff
03-22-2007, 11:12 PM
Save that breath Gary, Katie isn't a real person, "she's" a guy from Canada posing as one to get a rise out of people on here. Although, he could be a girl as well, in which case it would be a brilliant display of trickery!

I would tend to agree but why can't the mods do ip checks if they haven't already?

Richard Martin
03-23-2007, 05:22 AM
I would tend to agree but why can't the mods do ip checks if they haven't already?

IP can easily be changed. I've had 3 different ones since I became a member and regularly log in from a fourth.

Katie_A_C
03-23-2007, 10:50 AM
What is an IP?

I already ordered the mulch kit and special mulching blades with my new mower...do I need an IP as well???:dizzy:

RedMax Man
03-23-2007, 11:09 AM
What is an IP?

I already ordered the mulch kit and special mulching blades with my new mower...do I need an IP as well???:dizzy:

They're not talking about your mower. The were talking about members on here. you don't need an IP for your mower as far as i know.

lifetree
03-23-2007, 07:00 PM
What is an IP?

I already ordered the mulch kit and special mulching blades with my new mower ... do I need an IP as well???:dizzy:

Katie -- I thnk they were talking about the Internet Protocol (i.e.-"IP") address ... are you going to post a picture of your new WB ?

Lynden-Jeff
03-23-2007, 08:11 PM
http://www.mcarterbrown.com/forums/images/smilies/without_pics.gif

ed2hess
03-23-2007, 09:13 PM
I think the thread was intended as free advertisement for Quick....

Katie_A_C
03-23-2007, 10:28 PM
I had my brother, Paul, read through this thread because to tell the truth I was starting to get confused by it all. He ran a Lawncare business before he joined the Police Academy and he has helped me get started last year.

Paul said that I made the right choice because the Quick36" has one hydro pump to control both wheels and my Toro has ONE HYDRO PUMP FOR EACH WHEEL :dancing:

He also said that some people made some rude comments about IP's:nono: but there were so many helpful posting that he said to ignore them and focus on the positive!

I feel better about my purchase now and I am looking forward to cutting some grass!!!!! payup

Vikings
03-23-2007, 11:33 PM
I think the thread was intended as free advertisement for Quick....

Funny thing about those mowers, people that own one usually say they're great and people who don't own one usually say they ain't so great.

Envy Lawn Service
03-23-2007, 11:37 PM
Funny thing about those mowers, people that own one usually say they're great and people who don't own one usually say they ain't so great.

...And that's absolutely right!

...And the reason is that you have to buy one to try one.

Katie_A_C
03-23-2007, 11:48 PM
They sound like excellent mowers but I think mine will steer easier after having it all explained to me!

I think Lawnsite is an excellent way to learn about this business.:waving:

Envy Lawn Service
03-24-2007, 12:05 AM
They sound like excellent mowers but I think mine will steer easier after having it all explained to me!

I think Lawnsite is an excellent way to learn about this business.:waving:

Well, I think you'll like your mower choice when you get used to what you have to do... You know, sorta become "one" with the machine when driving it.

Are you doing OK with squeezing the controls and stuff?

Does it have the T-Bar or the separate pistol grips?

The T-Bar is easier on the arms and hands.

Learning to drive the Quick 36 is more like "falling off a log"
In that if you can steer a baby stroller or shopping cart, you can drive it.
It doesn't take the effort of learning to coordinate yourself to the machine.
And it doesn't take a lot of hand strength to drive it.

Vikings
03-24-2007, 12:10 AM
Hey look at this video of a wright walk behind with velkey. The guy is practicing in a parking lot. It look complicated but probably easy to learn.

You have to look on the left hand navigation for Product Video. (Choose low res because this site is iffy)
http://www.wrightmfg.com/

Katie_A_C
03-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Envy, my brother Paul says you should buy a ZTR with only one hydro pump for both wheels next time.:rolleyes:

Lynden-Jeff
03-24-2007, 12:16 AM
I had my brother, Paul, read through this thread because to tell the truth I was starting to get confused by it all. He ran a Lawncare business before he joined the Police Academy and he has helped me get started last year.

Paul said that I made the right choice because the Quick36" has one hydro pump to control both wheels and my Toro has ONE HYDRO PUMP FOR EACH WHEEL :dancing:

He also said that some people made some rude comments about IP's:nono: but there were so many helpful posting that he said to ignore them and focus on the positive!

I feel better about my purchase now and I am looking forward to cutting some grass!!!!! payup

Is this really a joke or what? No offence but it took you till the 11th PAGE to get this? The THIRD POST on the first page was and I quote:

And again no offence but if it is this difficult for you to understand how this machinery works you really shouldn't be using it, they aren't toys and they can severely injure you if used incorrectly.

Katie_A_C
03-24-2007, 12:23 AM
Actually, I wasn't sure how these threads worked and I missed a whole bunch of pages after I logged on the next day. This is our first home computer. I used them at school but not on public forums:o :o :o

Envy Lawn Service
03-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Envy, my brother Paul says you should buy a ZTR with only one hydro pump for both wheels next time.:rolleyes:

Totally different application.
You are "ON" a ZTR... not walking or riding behind it while driving it.

But don't you worry... you have all summer behind that Toro to learn the difference between a veteran like myself who has actually driven both machines... and your brother.

I never said you bought the wrong machine. You didn't buy it anyways, and I am sure you will get accustomed to it. And you may even go on thinking it's the greatest... because like many of the others here... you'll have never tried a Quick 36 and you won't know any better.

But my guess is that if it's a pistol grip setup... it won't take you long to get tired of squeezing those to steer/control the machine.

If all you are mowing is flatter postage stamp lawns, it's hard to beat the Quick 36 for it's size, weight and simplicity. If you are mowing lots of steeper slopes, deep steep ditchlines, etc... then it's hard to beat a dual drive walkbehind because you have true independent control of both rear tires.

greengiant9963
03-24-2007, 01:00 AM
Totally different application.
You are "ON" a ZTR... not walking or riding behind it while driving it.

But don't you worry... you have all summer behind that Toro to learn the difference between a veteran like myself who has actually driven both machines... and your brother.

I never said you bought the wrong machine. You didn't buy it anyways, and I am sure you will get accustomed to it. And you may even go on thinking it's the greatest... because like many of the others here... you'll have never tried a Quick 36 and you won't know any better.

But my guess is that if it's a pistol grip setup... it won't take you long to get tired of squeezing those to steer/control the machine.

If all you are mowing is flatter postage stamp lawns, it's hard to beat the Quick 36 for it's size, weight and simplicity. If you are mowing lots of steeper slopes, deep steep ditchlines, etc... then it's hard to beat a dual drive walkbehind because you have true independent control of both rear tires.

Well said Envy

Katie_A_C
03-24-2007, 01:06 AM
It's a T-Bar. I just push or pull it.

Quick36 should offer the dual type also for those of us who have to cut in ditches and hills and that would solve all problems and then there would be no debate.

Envy Lawn Service
03-24-2007, 01:14 AM
It's a T-Bar. I just push or pull it.

Quick36 should offer the dual type also for those of us who have to cut in ditches and hills and that would solve all problems and then there would be no debate.

The T-Bar isn't bad... not near as bad as the pistol grips.

Toro took it off their Hydro line for a long time though. I didn't know it was back in force. Hopefully they have re-worked the issues involved in why they took it off in the first place...

I didn't know you were cutting steep hills and ditches. I assumed you were not because since I do too, I have found we are in the minority on here. Most of the country is flat... and most of the people here mow flatlands.

You probably have the better drive setup for the application.

Katie_A_C
03-24-2007, 02:46 AM
The Single Hydro Walkbehinds like Quick36 are easier to maneuver on flat areas and the Dual Type Hydro Walkbehinds are better for ditches and Hills!

I'm just glad we finally got all that cleared up and don't have to argue anymore!!! :waving:

lifetree
03-25-2007, 09:49 AM

Is this really a joke or what ? No offence but it took you till the 11th PAGE to get this ... And again no offence but if it is this difficult for you to understand how this machinery works you really shouldn't be using it, they aren't toys and they can severely injure you if used incorrectly.

I have to agree with you on this one Xoopiter ... still no pictures yet, too.

Daner
03-25-2007, 10:57 AM
Katie : Where are the pictures? I think It would clear up alot of uncertenty If you would post a Picture of You and your new Toro.

metro36
03-25-2007, 03:00 PM
Post us a picture of your new mower.

Vikings
03-25-2007, 03:01 PM
These people have never seen a lawn mower or a women before (assuming it's a women).

WJW Lawn
03-25-2007, 04:54 PM
I have had NO need for a dual hydro and Ive used my Quick for one year...and mow around 60 accounts. But thats ME! To each his own..or her own. Katie got a Toro...good for her...no need to bash her. We pretty much make a big deal here over which mower to get...GET THE ONE YOU FREAKIN LIKE! Geez! I love my Quick 36...and i love the company...they make GREAT machines...and will bend over backwards...do back flips...juggle...walk a high wire...paint a murial...and most of all offer great customer service for you. Toro makes a good mower too---but when I tested one for a couple days...i simply did not like it. Doesnt mean its poo poo...it just wasnt what i wanted. Good for you Katie...good luck...and kick some butt this year! Quite frankly I think its cooler than heck that a woman is out there running a LCO.

Palmer'sLS
03-25-2007, 05:24 PM
We may fix that problem however at sometime in the near future...

when is this gonna be happening? sign me up for one lol

justanotherlawnguy
03-25-2007, 05:38 PM
This thread has become ******ed!!!!

GSMOSS
03-25-2007, 06:07 PM
XOOPITER, Why wouldn't you touch a Ferris? I have been thinking about a 36" walk behind;is there something I should know before making this purchase?

RedMax Man
03-25-2007, 09:20 PM
This thread has become ******ed!!!!

It always happens for some reason. LOL