PDA

View Full Version : hiring nightmare

CLARK LAWN
03-19-2007, 04:37 PM
trying to hire 1-2 people for this season first one called before i got in this morning and left a message so i call him back on his cell instead of a ring it goes to gangster rap with the m.f. and so on the then the voice mail picks up and i get swore at again. Second guy calls and talk to him hes still in school but he can work from 5-9 in the eveing, and the third left me the wrong phone number on the machine but i got it off the caller id so i call him and he tells me straight up that he is only willing to work from 9am-4pm m-f no weekends and he only will run riders. so as of now 3 calls and 0 prospects.

HOOLIE
03-19-2007, 04:43 PM
Disappointing for sure...I think I've seen all those scenarios (gotta love those voice mail messages :laugh: )

So anyway the gangsta rap guy probably wouldn't work out, but at the same time I would at least talk to the guy. Everyone has their personal lives...IF they can check their language at the door you never know...

I ran an ad once and got a lot of reponses from PG County, which anyone in the DC area would be familiar with the demographics of PG County....got a lot of baby mamas answering the phone yelling "Whatchu want whatchu wanna talk to Kelvin fo'???" Really sets the tone...

Runner
03-19-2007, 04:49 PM
yeah...call da homey wit da rap up on his chimes, yo. Know wha I'm sayin...He may be keepin' it real on da down low. Know wha I'm sayin, dog? We may be gittin a j.o.b. all up in heeah, chief!

TJLANDS
03-19-2007, 05:12 PM
Yep we sure do attract the cream of the crop!

jsf343
03-19-2007, 06:14 PM
WOW, that very much sounds like what I am going through. I can not find anyone decent at all. very few even apply but the ones who do either don't call back, dont bring the app over, want $20.00 an hour to start off. yikes!!

NorthwestLawnCare
03-19-2007, 07:34 PM
I have this same problem. Though my business partner and I are mostly owner-operators, we do hire part timers on occasion if things get a bit hectic.

One reason we get so many "winners" applying for these jobs is that it requires no formal education. I envy employers whose first firewall is a college degree; it weeds out the losers to an extent.

Another problem, in my area anyway, is that most of the kids are spoiled. Their parents hand them a no limit credit card, a new car, and shelter them from work, struggle, and adversity. Then when they reach working age, they don't understand having to bust their a$$es for an entry-level wage. So they either quit within a week, or don't take their jobs seriously.

The truth is, hiring illegal immigrants because they work cheap is only half of the incentive. The other is work ethic. I can't speak for any other region in the country, but it's the sad truth here in SE Michigan.

Having said that, I do not, and never will, hire illegals. To work for me, one must be an English-speaking United States citizen!

NewHorizon's Land
03-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Hoolie I know the demos of PG county and you are right. And dats fo shizzle my nizzle

topsites
03-19-2007, 09:08 PM
That's fine, until you've gotten between 10 - 20 of these per every one you end up hiring, you're in the right ballpark.
It's just the 9 out of 10 rule, meaning only maybe 1 out of every 10 prospects turns out, is all it is.
It used to and sometimes still astounds and amazes me, but apparently it's normal.
I get this with customers, too.

Mr Priceless
03-19-2007, 09:13 PM
don't mean to hijack the thread, but what would you pay hourly for a 16 year old potential employee with 2-3 years mowing experience and is flexible during summer?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-19-2007, 09:19 PM
I had a guy working for me part time and was paying him good money all under the table. So I call and tell him to meet me at a job site that I needed to get preped for 16 pallets of sod, that s.o.b. says he can't cause his moms coming home and is going to make lunch. He's 22 years old!!!

Az Gardener
03-19-2007, 09:26 PM
I go strictly Internet. My last add was with Jobbing.com I got 25 resumes in 3-4 days then I told them to pull the add.

Out of 23 I responded to 16 for interviews.
Out of the 16 I set 12 appointments.
Out of the 12 I actually had 6 show up.
out of that 6 I hired 4.
Out of that 4 one was a no show, one lasted 1 day.
The other 2 are working out so far.

I have a meeting with the Jobbing people tomorrow because I find that the first 3-5 days of the add I get great results after that not much at all. The add runs for 4 weeks normally and is just under 400 bucks. So I asked them to pull it, let my time run, then in the 3rd week put it back on. I should get another flush of applicants.

I'm sure the jobbing people are going to try and sell me a fixed monthly rate to just put adds in when ever but it will be some kind of a yearly contract. Will see what they are selling.

Craig's list delivered 3 resumes 3 interviews 2 hires one lasted almost all day the other lasted 1 week.

I am quickly learning H/R is the most important part of the business. If you can't consistently hire good help you just can not grow your business. No matter how much you know about plants or turf or how good your quality is or anything else.

gene gls
03-19-2007, 09:47 PM
don't mean to hijack the thread, but what would you pay hourly for a 16 year old potential employee with 2-3 years mowing experience and is flexible during summer?

A 16 year old is limmited to the duties they can be used for. You need to be 18 to use equipment with sharp cutting blades.

baruch05167
03-19-2007, 11:44 PM
It has a lot to do with WHERE you advertise. I also have a minimum 1 hour interview with anyone I might hire. I've never met another guy who interviews young guys to be a laborer. So far after 4 years I have 0% turn over and I have guys calling me for a job. This year I didn't have to advertise at all.

Now some will leave the state for college, but in the summer they can always find hours with me if we have the work, which we usually do.

I never hire someone if I wouldn't have them work on my best customers lawn and spend time speaking with them. Employees are a reflection of you and your quality.

Baruch

supercuts
03-20-2007, 09:10 AM
im a local voluteer Fire Fighter, ive had really good luck with pulling young guys out there who work really well. if your not a member, try to find someone who is, or just send them a letter to post at their fire house.

one point, and im not trying to PO everyone, alot of talk about not being able to find help, now what would you do if an illegal came applied with tons of experience, no SS #, no licence but would out work all yo' gangster rap guys and 22 live at home waiting for mommies lunch guys. can you see why some choose to use them. they might not be the fastest but they show up and work good. i dont use any, just food for thought, alot of really negative things on here about illegals. saw on the news last night they make up 5% of the entire US workforce. they help some of us on here make money and keep them in business.

supercuts
03-21-2007, 09:13 AM
no grief on my last???

kc2006
03-21-2007, 10:05 AM
Pay em more than minimum wage and you might get some better help Alan! :D

I'll come work for you if the price is right.