PDA

View Full Version : hedge row by fence looking for ideas.

sicnj
03-19-2007, 04:43 PM
I am going to put a hedge row against a fence 75' long want to block out neighbors yard was thinking leyland cypress. I want to stop growth around 20' is this possible? should i be looking at another tree. Trees full be getting full sun except where the fence is.

ooo
03-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Spartan junipers get a bit under 20, but quite hardy.

sicnj
03-19-2007, 07:11 PM
i think i want something that is a little wider at the top. thanks for the idea.

ooo
03-19-2007, 11:26 PM
Ah ok ...thought those Leland get real high? I know you can keep cutting them back, maybe some sort of Arborvitae

sicnj
03-20-2007, 12:17 AM
yeah your prob right i should stay away form anything that has the potential to 60' +

sildoc
03-20-2007, 12:34 AM
why 20'? photinia? I prefer the Jackon and perkins simplicity hedge roses. 2 years and they are 6-10 feet. grow dence and have a ton of roses. get tired of the height get out the hedge trimmers and cut them down 1/3 the height. that and keeps out the neighbors and dogs.

DaughtryLC
03-20-2007, 01:21 AM
I am going to put a hedge row against a fence 75' long want to block out neighbors yard was thinking leyland cypress. I want to stop growth around 20' is this possible? should i be looking at another tree. Trees full be getting full sun except where the fence is.

I have Leyland Cypress and there Great, just be sure to treat them for Bag Worms in the spring. If you don't THEY WILL DIE

Dreams To Designs
03-20-2007, 10:55 AM
Check for availability on Green Giant arborvitae. More controlled growth than Leyland Cypress and so far, more pest and disease resistant. Anytime you plant 1 type of plant you are risking creating banquet conditions for pests or disease to destroy your entire screen, besides it will look very boring. Throw in a couple of different plants that will still create your desired effect, and you will provide a much healthier condition as well as add much more interest.

Kirk

VO Landscape Design
03-20-2007, 11:40 AM
Check for availability on Green Giant arborvitae. More controlled growth than Leyland Cypress and so far, more pest and disease resistant. Anytime you plant 1 type of plant you are risking creating banquet conditions for pests or disease to destroy your entire screen, besides it will look very boring. Throw in a couple of different plants that will still create your desired effect, and you will provide a much healthier condition as well as add much more interest.

Kirk

Variety is the spice of life. Toss in something different. Maybe to accent a certain area or post where the fence meets.
VO

ccash
03-20-2007, 11:47 AM
every body down here is getting away from the lelands do to a new disease that has been killing them off and has no know treatment at this point.