PDA

View Full Version : New mower prices, GREAT DEALS!

nobagger
03-19-2007, 04:24 PM
I just got my new Turf mag. and I came across this ad for zero turn mowers....."zero-turns.com" They gave me a assembled and delivered price of $7779.00, thats more than a $500 dollar savings from my local dealer. I called around to 3 other dealers who sell Exmark's and they said my dealer's price of $8250.00 cant be beat, well, I guess they were wrong. Plus there was no sales tax. So if I go with "zero-turns.com" I look to save almost 1k.

Billy Joe Mcguffee
03-19-2007, 05:14 PM
I would buy fast. Most of the big boys frown on discount internet sales eating into the profits of the local dealers. I'm guessing these guys will disappear not quite as fast as they appeared.

tacoma200
03-19-2007, 05:16 PM
I'm always looking for a bargin but I think I would buy local for only $1000. I aways talk to the local dealers (owner) and they will usually come through with a price I can live with and of course you have to have it serviced so it's nice to have a good relationship with a dealer you can count on.

crzymow
03-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Dont forget to pay your use tax on the mower.

Mowman16
03-19-2007, 06:31 PM
I just got a deal on a Lazer XS.....$9,999 Triton 66 & 31 Vanguard (at a local dealer):hammerhead:

haybaler
03-19-2007, 07:18 PM
ya, be carefull. most states are making you pay sales tax for items you purchased out of state on the internet.

haybaler
03-19-2007, 07:22 PM
ya, buy from the local guy. if you don't they will go out of business and then you'll have to wait for the ups guy for your parts all the time and fix everything yourself. also when you buy from the local guy they go out of your way to get your mower gowing asap. one time the starter went on my husky and no one had one, it was a friday and I would have lost 5 days of mowing, so he took one of a brand new machine he had and he only charged me his cost for it.

nobagger
03-19-2007, 07:29 PM
I'm all about dealer support as I stated months ago in another post but when we're talking possibly 1k or more in savings to me thats a different story. How is it that this company can sell for so much cheaper then a dealer? or is the dealer still holding back. I understand the whole "volume buying" thing but how or why would Exmark hang their dealer's out to dry by allowing another company to sell for these prices. Its not only Exmark's, they offer Gravely,Toro and Ferris. Again I'm all for supporting a local guy but I dont think they would help me out with a payment if I was running short that month.

haybaler
03-19-2007, 07:35 PM
no, he said 500 and then he thinks he's gonna get out of paying sales tax(he's not) you can lose 500 buck in mowing really quick when your mowers down. dealers don't even want to do warranty work if you didn't buy it there

cward
03-19-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm with tacoma and haybaler, support your dealer. They (the dealer's) will remember how you purchased your machine when you need them the most. I don't mess with my Exmark dealer to much about his price. Everytime I have a mower issue, he always comes through for me. You can't put a price on that. I guess that is where the extra $500-1000 comes into play.

YardPro
03-19-2007, 08:01 PM
that's a bad idea...

buy from your local dealer. He is the one that is going to have to go to bat for you if you have any problems with the mower.

cantoo
03-19-2007, 08:25 PM
I picked up a lawnboy wbh in Michigan today. Saved Can$159 I've never had my last one to the dealer and it's 7 or 8 years old so I'm not worried much.
HD had last years model for $199. Duties and exchange I still saved $159 on the best deal I could get here.
The exchange is pretty decent right now so I'll likely be buying a few more items. Bridge is only 2 hrs from me. I did have to spend 1 1/2 hrs at customs but it had nothing to do with the mower:) I may have been pushing the law a little.

nobagger
03-19-2007, 09:05 PM
The over-all thing that bother's me is, I've seen and heard a few bad things about every dealer here in town, some not as extreme as other's but still bad. One dealer wouldnt warranty an Kawi engine on an Exmark that was 1.5 yrs old. The engine warranty is 2 full yrs. :confused: Another dealer (I heard) likes to replace parts at will with no prior approval, and we're not talking about a 10.00 part more like $450.00 part with no ok to do so. I honestly dont see a dealer purposely screwing with you just because you saved a bunch of money buying it somewhere else, they are held to standards from the factory for repairs and turn-around time I ould think just like an auto dealership does.

Mowman16
03-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Buy from your local dealer, he has to feed a family too. :hammerhead:

tacoma200
03-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Well it would be nice if you could find a good dealer that you could count on in your area, that's worth a lot. Of course I'm not in your shoes so you have to make the decision. Actually my Huslter dealer in Danville was the best at customer service, just couldn't get the deck to cut right. I've found most dealers know less about the products than most members here on lawnsite.

sildoc
03-19-2007, 09:53 PM
I just looked and they are right in line with what my dealer offers. We don't have sales tax here so there is no real savings. I can't see stiffing my dealer at this point for less than 100 buck. plus I would have to pay shipping.

cantoo
03-19-2007, 11:13 PM
mowman16, usually I buy in your county at J Thomas but I bought the Lawnboy in Macomb this time. I travel to Michigan once in awhile for business.

LawnBrother
03-20-2007, 12:55 AM
A good relationship with your dealer is money in the bank. I would never buy online to save a few bucks.

nobagger
03-20-2007, 05:17 AM
Well it would be nice if you could find a good dealer that you could count on in your area, that's worth a lot. Of course I'm not in your shoes so you have to make the decision. Actually my Huslter dealer in Danville was the best at customer service, just couldn't get the deck to cut right. I've found most dealers know less about the products than most members here on lawnsite.

Isnt that the truth about dealer knowledge.

Billy Joe Mcguffee
03-20-2007, 09:07 AM
When it comes down to pricing and dealer support you really have a couple of choices. You can support your dealer but he/she must earn that. I can't see blowing and extra $500 bucks to a guy that doesn't stock parts and has a bunch of 16 year old kids servicing my equipment that don't know the first thing about my mower. Nothing is free and supporting your local dealer is the same. You've got to ask yourself if your dealer stocks parts, does he/she have a loaner program for a broken unit. Does he require you to rent a unit rather than loan you one while your unit is in the shop. Does he/she have a 24 hour runaround garantee.

The other option is to save the $500 bucks because you don't have a decent dealer. For $500 bucks I can stock quite a few belts, spindle bearings and routine maintenance items. Heck for $500 I can hang onto my old unit as a back up for $1000 you've got to have one heck of a dealer. Yes I realize my dealer must feed his family too but so must I. He's got to earn it.

wrtenterprises
03-20-2007, 09:43 AM
No Bagger,

Don't forget the State of Pa. has an old tax on the books called " use tax, " which was put in place just for these out of state purchases where businesses think they can pocket the sales tax. Apparently the State of Pa. has recently decided that we business owners were saving too much money with our Internet business purchasing, and are really ratcheting up the heat to get their money. Look it up on the website, if you don't already know.....

Sir mowsalot
03-20-2007, 09:52 AM
No Bagger,

Don't forget the State of Pa. has an old tax on the books called " use tax, " which was put in place just for these out of state purchases where businesses think they can pocket the sales tax. Apparently the State of Pa. has recently decided that we business owners were saving too much money with our Internet business purchasing, and are really ratcheting up the heat to get their money. Look it up on the website, if you don't already know.....

Well, the legislatures need to pay for that in the middle of the night pay raise somehow.

nobagger
03-20-2007, 10:02 AM
When it comes down to pricing and dealer support you really have a couple of choices. You can support your dealer but he/she must earn that. I can't see blowing and extra $500 bucks to a guy that doesn't stock parts and has a bunch of 16 year old kids servicing my equipment that don't know the first thing about my mower. Nothing is free and supporting your local dealer is the same. You've got to ask yourself if your dealer stocks parts, does he/she have a loaner program for a broken unit. Does he require you to rent a unit rather than loan you one while your unit is in the shop. Does he/she have a 24 hour runaround garantee.

The other option is to save the $500 bucks because you don't have a decent dealer. For $500 bucks I can stock quite a few belts, spindle bearings and routine maintenance items. Heck for $500 I can hang onto my old unit as a back up for $1000 you've got to have one heck of a dealer. Yes I realize my dealer must feed his family too but so must I. He's got to earn it.

I agree 100%, Our local Exmark dealer is "ok" at best. They usually have the simple fix items on hand but some of the bigger but less major items they seem to have to order with a few day turn around. They did let me have a new 66" Lazer last year when my other mower went down with a tranny problem but they knew I was in the market for a new mower this season. They are good guys that treat me fairly... but 1k difference? I was even concidering a different mower, (a Gravely) from a different dealer but the price difference between this new store and him was only $150.00 so to me thats not worth severing ties. Again, I can do alot with 1k.

cantoo
03-20-2007, 05:06 PM
I can make new best friends everytime I buy something. I really don't have any Dealer loyality because I run a bunch of different brands of equipment and buy most at auctions. However I do recommend a Dealer if he is good. My Walker dealer (Kitchener Tractor) would starve if they depended on me and my walker for a living. It has been very good and other than a couple of simple things hasn't cost me much. I can fix most things myself.