PDA

View Full Version : Mulching kit

Titans Fan
03-19-2007, 05:42 PM
I recently bought a Exmark 52" 25 HP Lazer Z. In the fall, I had a mulch kit installed and loved it.

How many of you guys run a mulch kit all of the time?

Do you run mulching blades all of the time or do you use regular straight blades as well?

Thanks!

cward
03-19-2007, 05:58 PM
I had a 48" lazer with a mulch kit and hated it. Loved the mower and stripe kit though. It cut really horrible on my nice yards. So bad in fact, my dealer had Exmark come to me and look at what it was doing. It wouldn't cut even and just looked like crap. They told me I was to picky about the job it was doing (Imagine that, an LCO that wanted perfection). None the less, traded the lazer on a navigator and all was well. It wasn't to bad in the summer but in the spring and fall it just wasn't up to par.

MuleCutter
03-19-2007, 06:57 PM
i run mulching kits full time on both my 46 inch HP and 66 inch XS triton decks and wouldnt discharge ever. it does bog down quite bit in clover when its REALLY bad but that's to be expected. the mulch leaves such a beautiful job though. i run the mulching blades all the time cuz they do a beautiful job and are EASY to sharpen.

ed2hess
03-19-2007, 10:29 PM
We mulch year round with plate over the outlets.....it saves a lot of time in that you never have to worry about where the grass is going. In some wet situations we will use straight blades but for the most part the type of blade doesnt' matter on our grasses. Can't use the high lift ones....it loads down the unit.

justanotherlawnguy
03-20-2007, 02:48 AM
I have had 3 mulch kits on 3 eXmarks that I have had and personally, I wouldnt have it any other way. I buy the generic mulching blade from the dealer and they work just as good as the eXmark mulching blades.

naturescape
03-20-2007, 11:48 AM
Depends on your location. How far south in KY are you? Here in MI, it's tough to use a mulch kit all year round. I use it in very early spring and in late fall. If you are in southern KY, you can probably use it all the time. Just keep it on till you see it's not working for you, then remove it until fall.

kpyoung
03-20-2007, 12:36 PM
We use mulch kits on our mowers year round, 52" Toro Z, 44" Toro w/b, JX75 JD. If the grass is tall we DO have to double cut with the Z/turn, just raise the blade 1/2" and depending on the terrain run over it FAST! The w/b gives a good one pass cut even in tall grass, but doesn't mulch leaves as good as the Z/turn.

MO TOYS
03-20-2007, 03:17 PM
For The Guys Who Use Mulching Kits Do You Do Large Appartment Complexs?

ed2hess
03-20-2007, 07:57 PM
For The Guys Who Use Mulching Kits Do You Do Large Appartment Complexs?

We do a lot of upscale commericial properties and I'll match our quality to any other way of cutting grass including bagging. The big key is we blow off any trash as we blow off the parking lots and sidewalks ....big Billygoat fixes any leftover trash on top.

brucec32
03-22-2007, 07:17 PM
Stick to the mulching blades for best results, in my experience.

I run the mulch kit on my exmark lazer hp 48" year round. I picked up a Gravely 44" for discharging/bagging and it just does not mulch as well. I think the Exmark has spoiled me. I cut down a handfull of Bermuda lawns this week to 1.25" from 2" and higher and it turned the stuff to dust with no windrows. I used to have to bag TONS of dead stems and haul them off. Huge time saver for me and money saver for customers. There is a short period here where Fescue is growing too fast in the spring, and some weedy lawns with lots of dallisgrass/crabgrass/etc are too tall to mulch in the summer. So I use the Gravely on those and any lawns where mulching isn't required.