PDA

View Full Version : Hp vs torque (again)!

tacoma200
03-19-2007, 06:26 PM
We had a post not long ago where everyone debated if torque or HP was the most important. I'm in the school of both of them being important because the engine doesn't run the full 3600 rpm in the really thick stuff and on hills, etc.

Well I mentioned there was a lawsuit against small engine manufacturers that is forcing them to use torque instead of a hp rating for a more accurate measurement of how much work the engine would do (and because some were over rating the HP). Anyway I noticed in the Sears circular in the newspaper this weekend that they have went to torque rating on all small mowers in the advertising. No mention of HP in the ads only something like a torque rating of 6.5 or something similar. Has anyone else seen this trend this year? It seems to only be affecting very small engines so far, the riding mowers were listed in terms of HP. Just an observation, not trying to start any fights. I'm surely not the first one to notice this. I know Sears is only one store and they sell only consumer grade but this will probably carry over into some commercial applications.

saw man
03-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Tractor mowers and such will still have a HP rating. This only effects small engines.

The problem is that Briggs has a rating they use and Honda has something different, not sure about Kawi. and Tec. - Honda is using a (SAE) J1349 not sure on Briggs but ratings will be different.

Its all a big pain but when you had Briggs and Tec. changing stickers out to show a different HP rating it kind of screwed things up.

terrapro
03-19-2007, 06:50 PM
marketing trend im sure

Mowman16
03-19-2007, 07:34 PM
I bought a 31 HP lazer Z today.:cool2:

tacoma200
03-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Yea, I've not heard of this in larger engines, just the smaller ones that seem to be affected by this change. I don't know the whole story just thought it was interesting.

fiveoboy01
03-19-2007, 09:40 PM
Torque is the number I look at, and how flat that torque curve is throughout the RPM range(of course, I'm not sure you can get dyno sheets for a small briggs/kohler/kawi engine lol).

HP cannot be measured, it is simply a number derived from torque at a certain RPM.

ProStreetCamaro
03-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Torque is what I love and IMO all the Kohlers we have ever owned have out torqued the kawasuckys and out ran and out lasted them too. I think torque is very very important for a mower because it keeps the engine speed up when the going gets tough.