PDA

View Full Version : Fabricated Leaf Plow

stevesmowing
03-19-2007, 09:52 PM
I Fabricated a Leaf Plow for my zero turn. Here are the pics and a link to a video. I have yet to test it on leaves however.

I still have to put some rubber on the bottom edge of the plow.

The plow is 6' wide and 3' tall. The wings are 2'.

Here is the video of it. I just uploaded it so it might take some time to make it up there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3foVFNTURD8

stevesmowing
03-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Here is the inital design I drew up on the computer. A few things changed from it but not much.

smcunningham
03-19-2007, 10:21 PM
Looks great.....I could'nt get the vid to load.......let us know how it works come laef season.....

Lawn Enforcer
03-19-2007, 10:33 PM
Nice fab job. Looks pretty wide, you could probably get a lot of leaves pushin' w/ that!

sildoc
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
I think you will find it being to big. Trying to see with that and all the leaves is going to be a chalenge. Good design. but I think in trial you will want to scale it back a bit. mayby make it 3/4 size. Just from experience you will find your z will only push so much before it will go over the leaves and mash them down. Now I have never owned a z as of yet but have a guy that we tag team accounts durring leaf season and he has a z with a set up kinda like yours with out the wheels. works well till you hit a point and up and over you go.

mattfromNY
03-19-2007, 10:42 PM
I just checked out your shop pics thread, and saw your 'work in progress' before it was done. Looks nice, let us know how it works when ever you get to try it out.

green horizons
03-19-2007, 11:24 PM
Damn that thing is big! The fab work looks very impressive. Total complements on your work. Will it be quick/easy to hook/unhook? Will weight be an issue? Did I say nice fabrication work??

ojpent
03-19-2007, 11:25 PM
nice job on the build, you might want to try puting some tines along with the rubber to help move the leave easier.. Great job though it looks like its gonna move some serious leaves!!!

DaughtryLC
03-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Looks GOOD, let us know how it WORKS

stevesmowing
03-20-2007, 12:13 AM
Damn that thing is big! The fab work looks very impressive. Total complements on your work. Will it be quick/easy to hook/unhook? Will weight be an issue? Did I say nice fabrication work??

I still have to work on that a little bit. Right now there is square stock that slides into and gets pinned inside other square stock. It is a tight fit to avoid play. I might have to make it looser and pin it on 2 axis and not just from one side.

tacoma200
03-20-2007, 12:27 AM
Yes, nice job. I also wonder about it wanting to ride up over the leaves though. I live on a 3 acre wooded lot so they really can get deep here. I'm sure you'll tweek it and get it to work to your satisfaction. Show us some more video when the leaves start falling again.

supercuts
03-20-2007, 08:48 AM
that thing is huge and will be great, im sure your going to put some sort of tines down to keep them from going under the bottom. that thing looks heavy though, how will you get that thing on the trailer????

stevesmowing
03-20-2007, 04:54 PM
that thing is huge and will be great, im sure your going to put some sort of tines down to keep them from going under the bottom. that thing looks heavy though, how will you get that thing on the trailer????

I can pop 2 pins and the sides fold in. Pop 2 more pins and it comes off the mower. It is heavy though.

TGK
03-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Dont forget, your hydrolic system can only handle so much before you are stressing the wheel motors and etc. Think wet leaves. It talk with my dealer about it, before you smoke something!
Just my .02

Daner
03-21-2007, 09:32 AM
Nice work...what program did you use on your PC?

stevesmowing
03-21-2007, 05:42 PM
Nice work...what program did you use on your PC?

Autodesk Inventor

Runner
03-23-2007, 12:00 AM
What are you going to use on the bottom for the combing and clearance? I do like the caster st up. That is the nicest I've seen yet for casters. I have thought seriously of building one somewhat like that, myself. I think I want to put adjustment holes on the main center portion of the plow for being able to set the outer wings at different settings (i.e. straight - perpendicular like yours, and at a 45 degree angle, and to pin it folded in). I'm just not sure on ideas for the bottom rake area. I think I saw someone who used a heavier flap on the bottom, which would probably work well. Maybe something like mat material from horse stalls would work. hat is available at TSC. Incidentally, where did you get those nice caster arms and wheels? Good luck with that, and I haveno doubt that it wil certainly prove to be productive for you.

wahlturfcare
03-23-2007, 11:30 AM
i made one simialar to that last year with out castors and it works great. mine didnt have a problem skipping leaves even pushing about a football length to the woods. I made my sides so they adjust to straight out, scoop or closed by pins.

stevesmowing
03-24-2007, 10:27 PM
What are you going to use on the bottom for the combing and clearance? I do like the caster st up. That is the nicest I've seen yet for casters. I have thought seriously of building one somewhat like that, myself. I think I want to put adjustment holes on the main center portion of the plow for being able to set the outer wings at different settings (i.e. straight - perpendicular like yours, and at a 45 degree angle, and to pin it folded in). I'm just not sure on ideas for the bottom rake area. I think I saw someone who used a heavier flap on the bottom, which would probably work well. Maybe something like mat material from horse stalls would work. hat is available at TSC. Incidentally, where did you get those nice caster arms and wheels? Good luck with that, and I haveno doubt that it wil certainly prove to be productive for you.

I think I am going to use rubber mud flaps from a trailer truck cut to 3" for the bottom. I made the caster arms myself.

As for the yokes I bought a bunch of used ones off e-bay. They wern't big enough for the diameter tire I had to i welded on new plates to the bottom to extend them.

I was going to put more holes so I could have the wings extended out straight, however I didn't because it was getting to big. If I the wings were straight out the leaf plow would be 10' wide.

Mow It All llc
03-24-2007, 11:43 PM
That is the craziest thing i have ever seen.......BUT GOOD. I use my toro to puch leaves but we all know how that works. goodluck with it, thats a great idea

Runner
03-25-2007, 12:47 AM
LOL. Yeah, I guess 10' would be a bit extreme, wouldn't it? The description of the casters pretty much explains it. A little more fabricating ten what we originally thought...nicely done. The square box design will work just fine on that...especially with how wide it is. It will hold ALOT of leaves! I hope the truck mud flaps will be firm enough to hold the stuff! I'm trying to think of something that could be put in behind them vertically that would act as ribs for reinforcements. Something that would be flexible and spring over obstacle if hit hard enough...sort of like a trip-edge on a plow. Something like sections of spring, or something. Even some sort of thin tensile flat stock would work.

yardmanlee
03-25-2007, 08:11 AM
the mud flap from a tractor/ trailer wont be stiff enough
you'll need some rubber belting at least a 1/2 " thick like what they use on conveyor belts and the supports at the top the flat bar will need to be welded solid when ya get into a big pile of leaves you'll see what I'm talking about.
I thought about casters for mine but didnt go with that, mine sits about 3 inches off the ground (the frame) then the rubber belting closes that gap, just some more tips

looks good

mattfromNY
03-25-2007, 08:21 AM
To add strength behind the rubber flaps, you could cut strips length wise off a plastic 55 gallon drum. That plastic is pretty tough, but it will still flex when it needs to. We get drums at local farms, or often they are advertised in the local paper or swap sheet for $5 each. I think it would be easier and cheaper to find a plastic drum than 1/2 inch thick rubber belting.

n2ma
11-11-2007, 01:44 AM
Looks like you came up with this plow from this thread.
http://******************/t18979-leaf-plow-on-tank.html

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-11-2007, 08:06 AM
Not taking anything away from your design or fabrication work as I think you did a pretty good job from what I can tell from the pictures. I just personally never understood the point of leaf plows. If your going to be moving big piles of leaves and not you're concerned with having a really clean result then yeah. But for what it's worth you're probably going to be using blowers to get the leaves out of landscape beds and to get what the plow misses, so why not just continue to use blowers to move them where you want? (wheeled and/or backpack) Fastest method I've found to date.........

yardmanlee
11-11-2007, 09:23 AM
the plow is used for very large piles that are a distance for where we want them to be, (truck loader)you could use blowers but they wont be able to move those large piles that come from those flower beds in the back yard a 100 ft from the truck. it sure beats the hell out of dragging a heavy tarp full of leaves to the street.