PDA

View Full Version : Br600 Blower Tips

Dixie Bluegrass
03-19-2007, 10:11 PM
Hey guys. Was working on my Br600 today and noticed how I couldn't pull the fuel filter out of the fuel tank through the gas cap. The fuel line was too short. After doing some exploring, I discovered that there was a cap on the top of the fuel tank where the fuel line enters. This cap pops off for easy replacement of the fuel filter. When I had the cap out, I put a longer fuel line on so that next time I change the fuel filter I don't have to pop the cap off.
Also I have heard that they have had problems with carbon in the 4mix engines. I decided to take out the spark arrestor screen so that any carbon would be able to exit the muffler freely.
Just my 2 cents and thought it would be good to pass it along. Happy mowing.

ed2hess
03-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Hey guys. Was working on my Br600 today and noticed how I couldn't pull the fuel filter out of the fuel tank through the gas cap. The fuel line was too short. After doing some exploring, I discovered that there was a cap on the top of the fuel tank where the fuel line enters. This cap pops off for easy replacement of the fuel filter. When I had the cap out, I put a longer fuel line on so that next time I change the fuel filter I don't have to pop the cap off.
Also I have heard that they have had problems with carbon in the 4mix engines. I decided to take out the spark arrestor screen so that any carbon would be able to exit the muffler freely.

Can you give us a tip on how to adjust the valves?

Jason Rose
03-20-2007, 12:42 AM
I'm think VERY seriously about getting a BR600 this fall. My Echo 603 is extremely reliable and easy to operate, but I need MORE POWER! Just today I was beating my head against the wall trying to clear leaves out from under shrubs and in vines/groundcover.

I know there's a million threads on this... But just how much more powerful is the BR600 over the Echo 603?

Unfortunatly my dealer is a stick in the mud and demos are out of the question.

StevensL&L
03-20-2007, 07:55 PM
I have 1 BR550 and 1 BR 600 there is about a 90 dollar difference between the two but i really cannot tell that much difference. ON paper the BR600 is supposed to put out about 200 more cfm then the 550 but besides all that they are the best and the strongest blowers i have ever used!!!!! Strongly strongly suggest!!

Dixie Bluegrass
03-20-2007, 09:35 PM
Hey hess, I went to the dealer and asked them about adjusting the valves. The mechanic said that there is a kit the Stihl gives to the shops to adjust the valves. These kits are not available to the general public but he was real helpful and gave me one. It includes a feeler gauge and a gasket. I think this kit will cover all Stihl's 4mix engines- blowers and trimmers. The gauge seems really thin to me. It was thinner than any of the gauges on my universal gauge.
But you can take the blower in that's under warranty and have them adjust the valves for free. I would recommend doing this right before the warranty expires. Also see if they will give you one of those kits.

MuleCutter
03-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Hey hess, I went to the dealer and asked them about adjusting the valves. The mechanic said that there is a kit the Stihl gives to the shops to adjust the valves. These kits are not available to the general public but he was real helpful and gave me one. It includes a feeler gauge and a gasket. I think this kit will cover all Stihl's 4mix engines- blowers and trimmers. The gauge seems really thin to me. It was thinner than any of the gauges on my universal gauge.
But you can take the blower in that's under warranty and have them adjust the valves for free. I would recommend doing this right before the warranty expires. Also see if they will give you one of those kits.

yep... this is correct and it's easy to do. remove the housing, valve cover and spark plug. rotate crank to top dead center. you'll know you're at TDC when you can rock the crank back and forth without the valves moving. to get there watch for the exhaust valve to open then the intake valve and after the intake valve opens the next time the piston comes up is TDC. there is also (or there should be like on the trimmers) a small arrow on the flywheel that should line up with the side of the coil. once you are at TDC you can take the feeler guage and adjust the valves with a 5/16 or 8 mm nutdriver. what you want is for the feeler guage to slide easily between the valve and rocker but still keeping contact with both. ressemble everything and you're ready to go. the easy way to tell if your valves need adjustment is when it feels like there is more "compression" than there should be when you pull the rope. and there ya have it.....

ed2hess
03-20-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm think VERY seriously about getting a BR600 this fall. My Echo 603 is extremely reliable and easy to operate, but I need MORE POWER! Just today I was beating my head against the wall trying to clear leaves out from under shrubs and in vines/groundcover.

I know there's a million threads on this... But just how much more powerful is the BR600 over the Echo 603?

Unfortunatly my dealer is a stick in the mud and demos are out of the question.

We ran BR600 for a couple months across the winter and liked it lot. Did not like the gas cap that is retarted. And we want a adjustable chute on the end of the nozzle like BR420. We bought two Stihl BR420 because we like the packaging better than Echo......even though we only got one year warranty. We have 3 others and like them. Probably buy the 600 next year we really like the low weight and low noise level.

scchamblee
03-21-2007, 08:58 AM
I am in the market for a big blower. I had a BR600 last year and loved it. I sold it cause I was gettin out, but instead bought out anpthrer guy. I liked my 600 and infact borrowed it back from the guy I sold it to Saturday to blow some pinestraw and was even more impressed with it. My 2 blowers, trimmer, and hedge trimmer is all Stihl.

Now to my point... I am looking at the Red max EB 8001 ($576 out the door) and the 600($516 out the door), my dealer sales both Stihl and Redmax so service is non issue. My question is... is the 8001 better than the 600. I am leaning toward the Stihl just because all of my other stuff is Stihl and it is cheaper.

lawnboy dan
03-21-2007, 11:16 AM
unless you need the extreme brute power of the 8001 -i would go with the br600. its much eaiser to use .-lighter -less noise and fuel eficent. i have both but i find my self using the br600 more often as its so much user friendly . but its nice to have the ultra powerfull 8001 if you need it

mattfromNY
03-21-2007, 11:47 AM
I love my BR600, I've moved frozen leaves, large sticks and all kinds of debris with it. I used it a lot this winter for clearing snow from sidewalks, too!
Word of advise... Dont get too close to ground-level basement windows, they WILL blow in!!! ooops!
Is it just my machine, or does anyone else's start acting like it is running out of gas, when there is still 1/2 tank of fuel left?? I assume it has to do with the fuel filter sucking air somehow?!?

EA Quinn
03-21-2007, 12:21 PM
The best thing you could do is not buy a Stihl BR series blower. They are completly garbage. We have 6 of them, and every one of them has broken. 5 of the 6 only after a few weeks of having them blew up and stihl replaced them with new ones. The fuel lines are too short on all of them. Over time the rubber shock absorbers constantly break and need to be replaced all the time. The machines at times wont start. The main seals in them break all the time leaving mix gas dripping down the backs of them. We have run stihl for over 20 years here and last year we pulled the plug and switched brands. The new 4 mix motors are junk. Stihl wont tell the public, but has told the dealers when they designed these blowers, they were tested in germany with different oils and gasolines. In the USA the mix is all wrong and causes them to blow. They also admitted the blocks have weak metal in them which cause them to crack. If youve noticed lately, Stihl has changed their mix three times trying to correct this problem but still hasnt. Just be for warned. I am not one to usually bash a product because Im sure people have good luck with them, but I am thoroughly frustrated with Stihl. A lot of landscapers ive talked to have ceased purchasing thier products for the same reasons.

lawnboy dan
03-21-2007, 02:25 PM
i just got some of the new sthil synth oil to try in my br600. any one else try this oil yet?

WJW Lawn
03-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Ive had my br600 for about 6 months now...love it!

man of stihl
03-21-2007, 10:29 PM
i run amsoil saber professional 2-stroke mix in everything 2 stroke.. except for the dirtbike.. :cool2:
anyway it calls for 100-1 but i usually run around 80-1( as it calls for sever-duty applications). never had a problem with it.. no smoke and it smells good

lance

scchamblee
03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
If my old BR600 was gonna blow up it should have Saturday... I used it for four straight hours, only stopping to refuel. I think if iwas gonna blow up it would have then.

Dixie Bluegrass
05-06-2007, 10:16 PM
I posted this information about a month ago. As it turns out, extending the fuel line so I can replace the fuel filter outside the gas cap is NOT a good idea. The reason is because the line is so long that it pushes the filter to the top of the gas tank. The fuel then gets below the filter and you have a problem. Sorry that I had to correct this. I thought it was a great idea at first but as time would tell it proved me wrong. I am glad to learn from simple mistakes like this that don't cost me anything.

fiveoboy01
05-06-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, I'm buying a '600 tomorrow. I can't wait to test it out!

MrC
05-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I got mine on Sat. and love it. I only wish I could shorten the reach to the throttle by an inch (short arms). I can't wait to test it on the acorns and leaves in the fall.

Any other tips?

LawnMower
05-07-2007, 06:34 PM
Stihl 4 mix blowers are the cadillac of blowers. I love mine and feel lucky to own it.

Richard Martin
05-07-2007, 08:27 PM
I got mine on Sat. and love it. I only wish I could shorten the reach to the throttle by an inch (short arms).

Just take the spark plug tool that came in the plastic bag that your dealer gave you and look at the pointy end. There should be a torx (star shaped) point on it. Loosen the torx head screw on the bottom of the handle that the throttle is on and adjust it to suit you. Retighten the screw and you're ready to go.

MrC
05-07-2007, 10:39 PM
Simple enough, thanks for the tip!!!

fiveoboy01
05-09-2007, 04:44 PM
Picked mine up yesterday.

Impressive power, but not what I expected. Perhaps my expectations were higher, but in any case it smokes my BG85 big time. Of course I wouldn't really know what to expect I guess, all I've ever used is the handheld.

What's the "feeler" thing inside the end of the nozzle made up of several small wires? Is that a temp sensor?

LawnMower
05-25-2007, 06:07 PM
i just got some of the new sthil synth oil to try in my br600. any one else try this oil yet?

I just did the very same thing. I bought the synthetic oil for my BR600. It wasn't idling and it seemed to be lacking power. Well after I ran a couple of tanks of Synthetic mix through her it now idles again. It has all the power it had when it was new again. Stihl Synthetic 2 cycle oil is double the price of the regular stuff, but it makes a huge difference in the BR600.

MJR_63
05-28-2007, 12:12 AM
The "feeler" thing inside the end of the nozzle made up of several small wires is used to prevent static electricity so you don't get a shock. Heard this is a problem with some of the RedMax blowers.... I also use the synthetic oil on all of my Stihl machines....The nice thing is they all take the same oil/gas mix (chain saw, blower, trimmer).

Richard Martin
05-29-2007, 07:42 AM
I've used both Amsoil synth and Stihl synth and there doesn't appear to be any difference. The Amsoil is cheaper by far. The Amsoil is about $5 for 8 oz and the Stihl is about $4 for 6.4 oz. It takes 2 bottle of the Stihl for 5 gals of gas and 1 bottle of the Amsoil.

fiveoboy01
05-29-2007, 10:47 AM
HAHAHA Richard I just saw your sig line, that's awesome!