PDA

View Full Version : How do I transfer QB info from computer to computer? (urgent)

Lynden-Jeff
03-19-2007, 09:12 PM
Hey,

Im trying to transfer quick books info from my main computer to my laptop. Which file exactly do I need to transfer? I am doing it with a usb jump drive.

Cheers
Jeff

Lynden-Jeff
03-19-2007, 09:34 PM
I figured it out. Asleep at the wheel tonight I think!

Cheers
Jeff

Precision
03-19-2007, 09:34 PM
Sorry I really can't help you, my bookkeeper does it. but if I see this post getting some attention I will have her tell me how and post for you.

Precision
03-19-2007, 09:35 PM
Sorry I really can't help you, my bookkeeper does it. but if I see this post getting some attention I will have her tell me how and post for you.

Ok good. good luck.

Also if you do Credit cards, you are gonna need to call quickbooks and tell them you changed computers or you aren't gonna be able to use the "new download" for long. Been there done that.

bigjeeping
03-19-2007, 09:39 PM
Create a backup file (go to File > Backup..) and save it on your jump drive. When you open quickbooks on your other computer select "load from backup file"

ncls
03-19-2007, 10:15 PM
The .qbw is the main file. The .qbb is the back up file. Install Quickbooks on the new computer, and just move the .qbw file.

Lynden-Jeff
03-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Ok good. good luck.

Also if you do Credit cards, you are gonna need to call quickbooks and tell them you changed computers or you aren't gonna be able to use the "new download" for long. Been there done that.

Hey,

I don't enter credit cards yet however I want to. I would like to use QB on both my laptop and desktop and just transfer data back and forth which I was told I could do. Why would I need to call them?

The .qbw is the main file. The .qbb is the back up file. Install Quickbooks on the new computer, and just move the .qbw file.

Thats what I did, thanks!

Cheers
Jeff

Precision
03-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Hey,

I don't enter credit cards yet however I want to. I would like to use QB on both my laptop and desktop and just transfer data back and forth which I was told I could do. Why would I need to call them?

Cheers
Jeff

you can't run two copies of the program unless you have a multi-license program. Trust me, I know. I was doing just that, running it on my laptop and on my desktop. My bookkeeper uses the laptop and backs it up to my desktop, but it allows her to charge while off site.

Quickbooks put an end to that after about a month.

Worst thing was My version of Quickbooks is "obsolete" and they won't sell me a second liscense. I have to upgrade to the new version and buy the multi-license pack. OVER $500.

we are running skinny and just using the laptop now. sucks but not worth $500 to run 2 copies.