PDA

View Full Version : H&H open trailer set up ideas.

Rizzo
03-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Alrighty then, I sold my enclosed trailer with the barn doors and got this one so it would be easier to maneuver in small neighborhoods. I bought a mig welder today and am chomping to make some tool racks and an equipment box (I did get a shock when I saw how the price of metal has gone up). I have searched several threads and like some of the raised mesh boxes. I will most likely put my blower, trimmer w/attachments, gas cans and other small items in the raised mesh box. I will not use trimmer racks as I have only the one. I do need ideas for how to hold long handled tools since I park the trailer inside the garage. I will not carry the pressure washer around normally.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Matts lawn care
03-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Some one could get seriously hurt if one of those springs snap. I would make an enclosure for them.

Jason Rose
03-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Some one could get seriously hurt if one of those springs snap. I would make an enclosure for them.

Ditto, I was thinking the same thing! If you have never been witness to a garage door spring breaking you don't understand the amount of force they have in them. I wouldn't enclose them, since it would only cover half the spring when it's extended. Use some wire rope (aircraft cable) and run it through the middle of the springs and anchor each end of the cable securely.

Wait, now that I think about it, that wouldn't work either... The way it should be set up is like the EZ Gate or the Backsaver models are set up. I'd much rather spend the $200 and know I'm not going to be impailed by a spring someday...

Rizzo
03-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Ok, 1 post is enough on the springs breaking and killing someone, myth. Thankyou for the concern. Maybe it would be better to be sliced by frayed wire attached to a spring instead of a spring that is attached at both ends to 3/8 eye bolts. Sorry to rant. It's not personal but physics just isn't on the side of the killer spring therory when it is attached at both ends. I was going to make it the same way every one else has on this site but there were only posts saying that the cables were breaking and not a single one of a spring breaking (on a trailer that is). I will be running safety lines through the center of the spring and attached to the eyebolts this week. There is really not that much tension on these springs the way I have it set up. Thanks again for the concern though. Now, how about them ideas for the tool racks!?

Rizzo
03-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Ditto, I was thinking the same thing! If you have never been witness to a garage door spring breaking you don't understand the amount of force they have in them. I wouldn't enclose them, since it would only cover half the spring when it's extended. Use some wire rope (aircraft cable) and run it through the middle of the springs and anchor each end of the cable securely.

Wait, now that I think about it, that wouldn't work either... The way it should be set up is like the EZ Gate or the Backsaver models are set up. I'd much rather spend the $200 and know I'm not going to be impailed by a spring someday...

What is with the spring phobia. When attached to a garage door they are hooked to cables and therefor have some distance to travel and will do serious damage. When attached in the manor as on my trailer they don't stretch nearly as far as they do in a garage and are much more closely attached to each end. I'll let you know when they break mmmkay.

KS_Grasscutter
03-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Ok, 1 post is enough on the springs breaking and killing someone, myth. Thankyou for the concern. Maybe it would be better to be sliced by frayed wire attached to a spring instead of a spring that is attached at both ends to 3/8 eye bolts. Sorry to rant. It's not personal but physics just isn't on the side of the killer spring therory when it is attached at both ends. I was going to make it the same way every one else has on this site but there were only posts saying that the cables were breaking and not a single one of a spring breaking (on a trailer that is). I will be running safety lines through the center of the spring and attached to the eyebolts this week. There is really not that much tension on these springs the way I have it set up. Thanks again for the concern though. Now, how about them ideas for the tool racks!?

Good way to take advice on the springs:hammerhead: :hammerhead: I would definately do something about those, as they ARE dangerous the way they are. And for racks, you can't beat Trimmer Trap for equipment.

Jason Rose
03-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Wow, how bouts calm down a bit there. you can research all you want, just because every spring that has broken hasn't been recorded in the history books dosn't mean they don't break. Not to mention the pinch hazzard there is there. But you don't want to hear it...

You obviously have researched everything, even said you have looked at many took boxes ect. So why are you here looking for ideas? You are probably not going to want all the weight on the trailer to be right on top of and behind the axle either. Looks like you have about no tounge weight set up like that. Of course once you build the metal box and stock it up that should help counter that.

Rizzo
03-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I guess nobody can get past the pictures and just skipped all the information above them. Read the posts completely before commenting please. What a waste of time. I said I will be fabricating the racks and not trimmer racks. Also, I already ran 3/16 cable through the center of the springs when I installed them today but am going to get different cable later this week as I posted earlier. Come on guys. Just read the post and help. I'm not stupid and unsafe. I posted earlier my plans for the retention of the springs. Now can we get past this and on to the thread topic? Thank you.

troblandscape
03-19-2007, 11:03 PM
Forget about the springs breaking look at the eye bolt that it is attached to. We are just looking out for you dude, accidents happen and we wouldn't want to see anybody get hurt, you should really look into getting an engineered system. BTW nice trailer.

Rizzo
03-19-2007, 11:14 PM
The equipment is just being stored on the trailer right now. It's not the way I'm going to tow it. Nevermind, this thread is broken already. I asked for ideas on long handled tool racks because I park in a garage and can't have them sticking straight up. You guys are assuming to much from the pics. I will omit them in the future. This is a current work in progress and the photos were just to give a visual of what will be on the trailer as it is not nearly complete yet, i.e. the spring cables. I have not started for this season yet so it has not even gone down the road with the equipment yet. Thanks anyway. My posts are not written angry or hot headed so don't think that please. I'm mid 30's and my job involves safety and engineering at times. I just didn't want the thread to become about spring safety....

KS_Grasscutter
03-19-2007, 11:19 PM
The equipment is just being stored on the trailer right now. It's not the way I'm going to tow it. Nevermind, this thread is broken already. I asked for ideas on long handled tool racks because I park in a garage and can't have them sticking straight up. You guys are assuming to much from the pics. I will omit them in the future. This is a current work in progress and the photos were just to give a visual of what will be on the trailer as it is not nearly complete yet, i.e. the spring cables. I have not started for this season yet so it has not even gone down the road with the equipment yet. Thanks anyway. My posts are not written angry or hot headed so don't think that please. I'm mid 30's and my job involves safety and engineering at times. I just didn't want the thread to become about spring safety....

Dude...you need to calm down or something...we ARE trying to help you...
To answer your original question...the best I have ever seen used is a piece of PVC pipe (real big) laying across the hitch horizontally. Then you can slide rakes, shovels, etc in both ends, using a tarp strap to keep them tight and not sliding out when turning etc. This is not the setup I use, as I have no need really to carry around the hand tools all the time, i just throw them on the trailer in front of the mowers when I need them.

Jason Rose
03-19-2007, 11:19 PM
I use a piece of 4" PVC pipe to hold shovels and a rake on the front of the trailer on top of the tounge. 4" is about right for 4 handles, if you were looking for more than use a larger pipe. Use a bungee to secure the ends some to keep them from sliding out. If you want a cleaner look you could find some steel tubing and paint it up nice.

Rizzo
03-19-2007, 11:30 PM
Sweet, that sounds like a good idea on the horizontal pipe. I may have to trade out some of my tools that have the wide handles though for straight ones. Maybe on the back of the mesh rack. Hey Grasscutter, I'm not mad or upset, just tired and looking for equipment ideas. I never said any of you were wrong about the springs but I have been bit by several frayed cables in my life and hate those things. I like the engineered gate assists but I don't like them enough to pay $360 for two of them. My gate is really heavy and one just wasn't enough. They said it is made for cars or small skid loaders. I'll work with the horizontal pipe idea and let you know what I come up with. Thanks again.

KS_Grasscutter
03-19-2007, 11:37 PM
Hey Grasscutter, I'm not mad or upset, just tired and looking for equipment ideas. I never said any of you were wrong about the springs but I have been bit by several frayed cables in my life and hate those things. I like the engineered gate assists but I don't like them enough to pay $360 for two of them. My gate is really heavy and one just wasn't enough. They said it is made for cars or small skid loaders. I'll work with the horizontal pipe idea and let you know what I come up with. Thanks again.

No problem:waving: .

Rizzo
03-19-2007, 11:53 PM
Ok, I might try this for the springs. What about using square or round steel tubing or aluminized exhaust tubing and using two sleeves that slide over each other with the spring inside (like a shock absorber housing). Each sleeve could be notched with a bolt running through the eyebolt allowing it to pivot and only slide in the middle. The spring does not come close to doubling it's resting length when extended and the sleeves would still stay mated when the gate was down. Everybody can now come back outside to play because the nasty springs are enclosed and there are no cables to fray...lol. I gotta try this. Unless someone has and it was a waste of time?

Rizzo
03-20-2007, 11:57 PM
Ok, check out this link and see if this meets the approval of the lawnsite safety board...lol. Just kidding. I tried getting tubing that would enclose it and slide but nothing worked right and was pretty heavy. I finally came up with this method and it works pretty smooth. Only time will tell but at least they have a safety (and I didn't have to use cables). Just keep your tongues and long hippy hair out of it ; ). Actually, I tested it by lifting the gate by the spring. Nothing happened, not enough of a gap to get your skin into.

Happy Spring to all!

Rizzo
03-20-2007, 11:58 PM
duh, here is the link...

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=1759509&posted=1#post1759509

john_incircuit
03-21-2007, 09:18 AM
I bought a mig welder today and am chomping to make some tool racks and an equipment box

Before you jump into any fab work, are you an experienced / certified welder?

LindblomRJ
03-21-2007, 09:48 AM
I guess what I would do for the box to carry the blowers and trimmer and etc would be to mount the box towards the front of the trailer. I guess I would split the difference of the boxes between the tongue and the cargo area. As far as the long handled tools would take a piece of flat iron welded to the back of the mesh box. For the bottom where the handles for the hand tools I would take a piece of square tubing attached to the trailer decking to help hold everything in place.

I usually go back and forth building or buying with present price of steel. Last winter I built a similar tool caddy for my pickup.

Rizzo
03-21-2007, 05:28 PM

Experienced yes, certified no. I'm planning on building racks/cages for personnal use and maintaining or repairing equipment my equipment. I doubt very many people that use welders at home or on the farm are certified.

Rizzo
03-21-2007, 05:32 PM
Ryan- What are you paying for a 4x8 sheet of medium duty expanded mesh up there? I about fell over when I priced it here at $80. I'm gonna look around to the larger industrial city to the north of where I live for better prices.

troblandscape
03-21-2007, 06:07 PM

Theres always one of em:rolleyes:

LindblomRJ
03-21-2007, 06:33 PM
Ryan- What are you paying for a 4x8 sheet of medium duty expanded mesh up there? I about fell over when I priced it here at $80. I'm gonna look around to the larger industrial city to the north of where I live for better prices.

$80 seems about right. Steel has been spendy for the about the last 3 or 4 years.

Rizzo
03-21-2007, 07:03 PM
Doh! Oh well, it will be a fun project anyway. I figured that instead of paying $500 for an elevated mesh equipment box I could get the welder and metal for close to that and have the welder when I was done. I didn't realize metal had gone up so much in the last few years. It will still be way worth it to me in the long run though.

Lynden-Jeff
03-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Theres always one of em:rolleyes:

I was just thinking that lol.

Rizzo
03-21-2007, 07:40 PM
Ryan - Any photos of your truck tool caddy you made?

grassmanak
03-21-2007, 07:57 PM
i just bought piece of expanded today and it was 50 bucks, but i also buy through a metal shop and get the discount.

LindblomRJ
03-22-2007, 07:31 AM
None yet. Still need to make some changes to it. It is a scrap iron special.