PDA

View Full Version : Bad DV100 valve

advancedlawnsolutions
03-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Check this out. I installed a 5 zone system using 5 DV 100's (Rainbird) slip X Slip. Zone 2 would not spray until I manually opened the valve and then slowly closed the bleed screw. All wiring is correct. I cross checked the solenoid with zone 1 and zone 1 worked fine. I even swapped the diaphram from 2 to 1 and zone 1 worked fine. Once zone 2 would open, it would stay open even after the controller cycled to the next zone. Ultimately I had to cut out the valve and replace it. Spent way too much time messing with it and still don't know what gives. I definetly didn't want to cut out a new valve either. Have any of you seen this problem before? And what valves do you prefer?

DanaMac
03-19-2007, 10:05 PM
Since it was S x S, I'm guessing glue or maybe a PVC shaving got inside one of the ports, jamming it up.

aric43085
03-19-2007, 11:07 PM
I have seen this happen many times w/ the DV. When you glued the outgoing side of the valve, you probably used too much glue. There is a small hole that goes from the solenoid to the outgoing side of the valve. That hole was probably clogged with extra glue causing it not to open. To fix the valve you can take the solenoid off and stick a paper clip in the hole to unjam the clogged hole.

Bigred350
03-19-2007, 11:28 PM
OUt of the few hundred dv100s I have installed I have had about 4 do that. I have replaced the bonnet and and motor and still not let water through automatically. Rainbird said it must be trash in the port.

Dirty Water
03-20-2007, 12:11 AM
A marking flag works well, or switch to threaded valves.

JimLewis
03-20-2007, 02:06 AM
I have seen this happen many times w/ the DV. When you glued the outgoing side of the valve, you probably used too much glue. There is a small hole that goes from the solenoid to the outgoing side of the valve. That hole was probably clogged with extra glue causing it not to open. To fix the valve you can take the solenoid off and stick a paper clip in the hole to unjam the clogged hole.

Yes, this is exactly what happened. I've seen it happen once so far on our jobs. Very rare, though. Just be more careful.

The RB DV-100 valves are freakin' bullet-proof, IMO. We've installed thousands of them over the years. Great valves!

advancedlawnsolutions
03-20-2007, 05:44 AM
Thanks! Glue in the port sounds very logical, I'll be sure to be more careful next time.

Mike Leary
03-20-2007, 11:46 AM
Other than a solenoid problem a few years ago, Weather-Matic valves have
treated us very well....we like the reverse flow valves.

Duekster
03-21-2007, 06:42 AM
I posted this same question a few weeks ago. It was trash or glue in the post.

Many thanks to those who helped me. The marker flag is too large however to clear the port.