PDA

View Full Version : wood chipper

BufalinoLand
03-19-2007, 10:41 PM
anyone else own a wood chipper

not one of those wind up ones,the real deal

I passed up so much tree work during the last few years I had to go out and buy a chipper and a new Stihl 660

call me crazy but when i sit around in the winter, i think of ways to make more money or spend more money

It helps that my right hand man works for a tree service in the winter and will be doing all the climbing this summer

nothing real crazy, just enough to pay for the chipper and saw I hope

who else does this

Insurance was 1400 too, I hope some people call

ed2hess
03-20-2007, 07:01 PM
We bought a used Vermeer several years ago for $5K and has been a good unit. We can easily chip up to 4-5 inches and we blow it into the back of the truck bed. We used some cardboard sides to hold around 5 ft worth of chips. ON big jobs we blow it into a trailer with 4 feet sides. It was a nice investment....meaning we could probably still get $5K for it.

supercuts
03-20-2007, 08:48 PM
i keep thinking about it, always thought it would be a great investment. i think there is alot more money in it too. got a friend with a tree service, thinks i should make the switch.

txgrassguy
03-20-2007, 08:50 PM
I have pto chipper for my tractor and it works well.
Most of our tree work comes on extremely large tree covered lots and several times the truck pulling the chipper either became mired or stuck.
The homeowners really like the fact that the tractor doesn't damage their lots too.
The crews will trim a group of trees, the tractor will push up the limbs into a large pile then commence chipping. The breakdown is four guys chipping, one ground man and the tractor operator.
Additionally we will either level or place the chipping debris around the trees/lot for an additional cost - so we get paid to leave the debris, not to haul it off.

ed2hess
03-20-2007, 10:21 PM
With these new gas powered pole saws a lot of work can be done from the ground. In our area the younger trees grow too fast due to watering and need to be trimmed for ground/street clearance. Nice work to do in winter when it is cool.