PDA

View Full Version : What brand is a good edger for walkways and beds?

googles
03-20-2007, 01:12 AM
Just wanted some opinions on what brand i should buy for an edger? I want it for side walks mostly. I don't want to spend too much (maybe under a $1000) but want something that is efficient and does a good professional job. How is the Pro 6232 little wonder edger? or the mantis attachment? I have been using a stick edger for a while and i think it would be quicker and better to go with a real one. thanks everyone

justanotherlawnguy
03-20-2007, 01:26 AM
My word, what are you edging that a normal 26or 31cc edger can't handle?

We have the worse grass in the world here in FL (st augustine, it has runners that grow into beds 6 inches a week during the summer) and a normal stick edger is plenty to put a nice edge on the beds.

googles
03-20-2007, 01:39 AM
yea stick edgers are ok but they take a long time and i like doing a clean edge for the spring cleanups. I find that my echo 260 stick edger has trouble on very over grown area's. once i cut it with a clean edge with a good edger if i can find one, then i will just maintain it with the weedwaker after that.

ooo
03-20-2007, 06:38 AM
If you want a walk behind edger, www.powertrim.com i have used and liked. I find that the smaller the edger, the easier it is to do beds with. Tanaka used to make a shaft driven edger which seemed interesting, not sure if they still do.

nobagger
03-20-2007, 06:47 AM
I dont seem to have any trouble with our Echo's. During a spring clean up we usually edge all flowerbeds with our Brown bed edger and a re-defining blade then touch it up with a stick edger. If you are looking for just a "sidewalk edger" that can do anything from a sidewalk to a bed.....good luck, those are two different animals, you might not get as good of an edge. We have a Mclane edger (black one) and sometimes when sprinkle systems are a problem we just use that and a 10" blade then take the ol' flat tip spade on the opposite side to dig out the edge. You will spend about 400 bucks on this edger. To get a nice deep, crisp edge (on flowerbeds) you need to find an actual bed edger. One more note: do a good fall clean up and edge the beds,sidewalks etc. so when its spring you wont need to go through half the hassle.

Tanaka
03-20-2007, 11:55 AM
If you want a walk behind edger, www.powertrim.com i have used and liked. I find that the smaller the edger, the easier it is to do beds with. Tanaka used to make a shaft driven edger which seemed interesting, not sure if they still do.

Yes, it's back! The TLE-600

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TLE-600

-MW

googles
03-20-2007, 03:15 PM
I dont seem to have any trouble with our Echo's. During a spring clean up we usually edge all flowerbeds with our Brown bed edger and a re-defining blade then touch it up with a stick edger. If you are looking for just a "sidewalk edger" that can do anything from a sidewalk to a bed.....good luck, those are two different animals, you might not get as good of an edge. We have a Mclane edger (black one) and sometimes when sprinkle systems are a problem we just use that and a 10" blade then take the ol' flat tip spade on the opposite side to dig out the edge. You will spend about 400 bucks on this edger. To get a nice deep, crisp edge (on flowerbeds) you need to find an actual bed edger. One more note: do a good fall clean up and edge the beds,sidewalks etc. so when its spring you wont need to go through half the hassle.

yes your right would make it easy to do it in the fall but i like it as a selling point in spring. thatch grass, redo all beds and customer feels they got a lot. if i did it in fall they may skip the spring cleanup

googles
03-20-2007, 03:16 PM

which model in the powertrim, has anyone ever used the little wonder the pro version? are they any good?

googles
03-21-2007, 07:50 PM
nobody has input?

lawnpro724
03-21-2007, 09:33 PM

Yeah Tanaka still makes it and its one of the best out there but it costs a pretty penny. Check out www.alamia.com and go to Tanaka and take a look. They quit making it for awhile but now their making it again to the delite of many.

naturescape
03-22-2007, 12:55 AM
Googles, you are dead-on with your comments in your original post. Go with the Tanaka 600, it sells for about $800.