PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me? Ferris

LawnsRUsInc.
03-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Well i think i was on something after i have now purchased 5 z's from ferris. Is it just me or is the quality of the cut and stripping crappy? The only ferris that i have that seems to stip ok is the 48" DD do you guys have the same issue or do you guys run stipping kits or recommend a diff. machine

LwnmwrMan22
03-20-2007, 01:25 PM
Well i think i was on something after i have now purchased 5 z's from ferris. Is it just me or is the quality of the cut and stripping crappy? The only ferris that i have that seems to stip ok is the 48" DD do you guys have the same issue or do you guys run stipping kits or recommend a diff. machine

Shoot, I figured that out after my second Z. If the dew was out before 10 am, or if it'd rained in the last hour, the Ferris stayed on the trailer.

I had factory reps out a couple of times, but they said that I was trying to mow when it was too wet.

Anyways, it'll be a while before I'm back on one.

I DO however run a 48" DD wb, which I'm okay with, but I basically use it on 2 accounts, and that's it.

I'm glad that there's other guys out there that like them.

Rodfather is one that I can think of.

procut
03-20-2007, 02:17 PM
I demoed a Ferris twice this summer. I loved the machine, suspension and overall quality, but I did not buy one becasue of the quality of cut.

During the demo we did an expiriment. We mowed half of a large lawn with the demo Ferris with brand new blades. We mowed the other half with my 7 year old Toro with 1500+ hours on it, the front of the deck smashed in, and only so so blades. The half we mowed with that old Toro looked 200% better. That was enough to convince me that I won't have a Ferris untill they come out with a differant deck.

rodfather
03-20-2007, 04:25 PM
LMAO, I would like to know how many of you guys have had customers come up to you and ask questions about the stripe you are leaving.

I have been at this now 14 years full time and NOT once in all those years has a customer approached me (or anyone on my crews) and questioned the striping capability of our machines. I am not even sure that 1% of the over 200 customers we have now understand what the hell a stripe is lol.

As for Ferris cutting ability, I have 4 Z's and 5 WB's of their's (and over 20 machines during the past 14 years as) taking down over 500 acres of turf a week....need I say more? And I have been using Ferris almost exclusively all this time as well.

tinman
03-20-2007, 05:41 PM
LMAO, I would like to know how many of you guys have had customers come up to you and ask questions about the stripe you are leaving.

I have been at this now 14 years full time and NOT once in all those years has a customer approached me (or anyone on my crews) and questioned the striping capability of our machines. I am not even sure that 1% of the over 200 customers we have now understand what the hell a stripe is lol.

As for Ferris cutting ability, I have 4 Z's and 5 WB's of their's (and over 20 machines during the past 14 years as) taking down over 500 acres of turf a week....need I say more? And I have been using Ferris almost exclusively all this time as well.

LOL... I have never hear a client compliment or complain to me on stripes. Although I did few anyway. It looked good to me but to them they were just busy with life & were pleased not to have to mow on Saturdays themselves.

DoetschOutdoor
03-20-2007, 05:58 PM
Ive got the older style single hydro 48" wb and it leaves a halfway decent stripe with me riding on the sulky. After I get my patterns going, I receive compliments weekly from homeowners in the nicer neighborhoods. My 36" does an okay job as well on stripping. Ive noticed that my stripes might not be as dark or defined as other mowers on the first cut, but after you have been cutting a yard for 2 months or so and have 2-3 different patterns going, they all become darker and look nice. Neither of my Ferris mowers have let me down once but when it does come time to buy a ztr, I will be demoing a few other brands none the less.

LawnsRUsInc.
03-20-2007, 08:40 PM
Rodfather hey i respect you opions on ferris i have demoed all other machines and ferris has to be the worst its not the stripping ability its the quality of cut. thats a big thing and yes customers do complain about that. With my co. taking down 280 acres a week need i say more:rolleyes:

Envy Lawn Service
03-20-2007, 10:43 PM
I for one think Ferris has the nicest Riders and walkbehinds on the market now.
The IS is awesome on the Z's and 3-wheelers, and the walkbehinds are flat nice.

But I do agree that the overall cut quality does seem to leave something to be desired.

I guess it all depends on your conditions, what you are cutting and what your expectations are.

To me, they seem like a lot of other mowers, such as the John Deere's. I have seen pictures here with fantastic looking results. But I just don't see it in my area.

Overall, it seems to me that the Ferris deck has potential. Just needs tweaking. Like it doesn't suffer some of the problems other decks do. But it just really seems to lack when it comes to vaccuum, and it struggles with dampness/wetness.

What I mean other that the wet performance is...

They seem to be very close to cutting really well.
But it would take a lot more vaccuum to achieve that.

I mean they cut fairly clean... no big stringers left behind... no uncut streaks...

But the finished cut does not look sucked up and cut off crisp.
It looks more cut and knocked over in the direction of travel to me.
Like it cuts in place, or pushes it over a bit before cutting.

But I've seen far worse in cut quality though.

LwnmwrMan22
03-20-2007, 11:00 PM
I for one think Ferris has the nicest Riders and walkbehinds on the market now.
The IS is awesome on the Z's and 3-wheelers, and the walkbehinds are flat nice.

But I do agree that the overall cut quality does seem to leave something to be desired.

I guess it all depends on your conditions, what you are cutting and what your expectations are.

To me, they seem like a lot of other mowers, such as the John Deere's. I have seen pictures here with fantastic looking results. But I just don't see it in my area.

Overall, it seems to me that the Ferris deck has potential. Just needs tweaking. Like it doesn't suffer some of the problems other decks do. But it just really seems to lack when it comes to vaccuum, and it struggles with dampness/wetness.

What I mean other that the wet performance is...

They seem to be very close to cutting really well.
But it would take a lot more vaccuum to achieve that.

I mean they cut fairly clean... no big stringers left behind... no uncut streaks...

But the finished cut does not look sucked up and cut off crisp.
It looks more cut and knocked over in the direction of travel to me.
Like it cuts in place, or pushes it over a bit before cutting.

But I've seen far worse in cut quality though.

Ferris is owned by Simplicity.

My dealer (Kubota, Ferris AND Simplicity) said last week that Simplicity is working on putting more work into the Ferris deck.

IMO, the deck is too shallow to allow the best of capacity.

My biggest complaint was by far, that the baffles under the deck were too closed off. I wanted to cut them out, but the dealer wouldn't do it for me, nor would they honor any warranty after that, so I ended up trading the two Z's in.

I guess eventually I'll try them again, but the factory rep is going to have to put me on one for 2-3 weeks.

Toro is the same way, they're going to bring me a diesel 72" mower out this summer for me to try for 2-3 weeks, they want feedback on how it compares to the Kubota.

Meehan47
03-20-2007, 11:53 PM
I planned on getting a ferris 1500 zero turn this year. But now I am alittle hesitant. A friend of mine uses ferris and loves them. I would be able to get the 1500 with a bagging system for $8k out the door. Another dealer close by has scag and exmark. A similar Z to the ferris would be about $1,200-1,500 more dollars. Is the ferris machine worth the price I am getting it for or should I spend the extra money and get a scag or exmark (I forget what the models were, maybe tiger cub? for the scag).....thanks in advance

procut
03-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Like someone else said, its not only striping, its overall quality of cut. I also agree with whoever said the deck isn't deep enough, as I share this thought as well.

The guy at the dealer took the same attitude as Rodfather. I do actually agree with this thought. I could use Ferris and I don't think anyone would nessecerely complain. However, I myself can not justify buying a ZTR that gives an inferior quality of cut when compared to other machines. Especially when Ferris was another $1000+ compared to Toro.

Envy Lawn Service
03-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Ferris is owned by Simplicity.

My dealer (Kubota, Ferris AND Simplicity) said last week that Simplicity is working on putting more work into the Ferris deck.

IMO, the deck is too shallow to allow the best of capacity.

My biggest complaint was by far, that the baffles under the deck were too closed off. I wanted to cut them out, but the dealer wouldn't do it for me, nor would they honor any warranty after that, so I ended up trading the two Z's in.

I guess eventually I'll try them again, but the factory rep is going to have to put me on one for 2-3 weeks.

Toro is the same way, they're going to bring me a diesel 72" mower out this summer for me to try for 2-3 weeks, they want feedback on how it compares to the Kubota.

If Simplicity would finally really get directly involved in designing a new deck for them... then they would really have a cutter for sure.

I've been waiting a long time on this because Simplicity's homeowner decks produce an immaculate cut (at homeowner speeds). But I had pretty much given up on it as long as they have owned them.

So hopefully this HAPPENS.

Raven386
03-21-2007, 12:33 AM

I have been at this now 14 years full time and NOT once in all those years has a customer approached me (or anyone on my crews) and questioned the striping capability of our machines. I am not even sure that 1% of the over 200 customers we have now understand what the hell a stripe is lol..........

now i have encountered the complete opposite. quite a few of my customers have asked what i do to leave the design in their lawns. and they think that its something special we do on their lawn. the rest, i dont think they even know my name nevermind about striping.

LawnsRUsInc.
03-21-2007, 09:31 AM
IDK Raven i had no issues with my other machines breaking except one lemon but really anything over a 48" doesnt cut for sh!T.

TNT Lawncare
03-21-2007, 05:12 PM
Ferris is by far a back saver for me. I love the suspension! As for the cut, sharp blades are a must and if you want stripes, you need a striping kit. I have one. Look at the house on the front page of my website. That was done with a 48" IS1500. Not too shabby if I do say so.

TNT Lawncare
03-21-2007, 05:14 PM
WOW, Toro's here are about a $1000 more than Ferris. LOL

F.O.S.
03-21-2007, 05:38 PM
My ferris was an excellent machine but the reason I got rid of it was because of its finish cut. It left by far the worst cut of any ztr mower I've used (grasshopper, exmark, JD, Hustler). I agree that the deck needs much improvement, different baffling and a deeper deck with higher blade tip speed would do wonders. If ferris came out with a new and improved deck that could compete with any of the other top decks out there I might try them again. Until then I will stick with my grasshopper, as it seems to be the best all around mower I've used.

FINN
03-21-2007, 08:59 PM
is it possible some of the machines you are using don't have enough HP to get good blade tip speed to get a good cut? iunderstand the vacuum argument - that makes sense. but what about HP? IT

LawnsRUsInc.
03-21-2007, 09:13 PM
FINN i would agree with you on that but iam talking 23hp on a 52" that sounds good to me and she vever really bogs down

mattfromNY
03-21-2007, 09:18 PM
I've got a IS2000 w/ the 61" deck, and have found that in wet or damp grass, it will not plug up or clump as bad by running 2 straight high lift blades on the center and left spindles, and a mulching blade on the discharge side. I tried several different blade configurations and this was the only thing that seemed to help. for a striper, I just bolted a heavy rubber strip (Cut from a mining elevator belt) to the rear of the deck, it hangs down about 2 inches below the deck. Makes a really nice stripe when I'm cutting at 3.5 or lower, cut any higher and it doesnt put enough rubber to grass to really lay it over.
I agree that the cut needs improvement, though, especially on wet or really thin grass.

Envy Lawn Service
03-22-2007, 12:43 AM
Ferris is by far a back saver for me. I love the suspension! As for the cut, sharp blades are a must and if you want stripes, you need a striping kit. I have one. Look at the house on the front page of my website. That was done with a 48" IS1500. Not too shabby if I do say so.

Yep... now see... that's what I was saying about the cut.
Some areas seem to get a great cut out of them... while other areas don't.

Your cut looks good.

nograss
03-22-2007, 07:33 AM
Stripes, Heck all I care about are the stripes on the money. Stripes are and ego thing and have nothing to do with a great cut. I'm just giving an opinion not being critical of stripers in general. With 70 customers I've never had someone come to me and say "hey I'd like my lawn to be striped ". Where is the paint. My Ferris WB stripes great I think.

worksplay
03-23-2007, 09:35 PM
i am not impressed with the cut or how ferris holds steeper grades

JoshC
03-23-2007, 11:09 PM
I just got my IS3100 with the 61" deck and 32HP B&S Monday and so far I'm happy with it. I haven't had much of a chance to try it out yet, but so far it does seem have a higher quality cut than the older IS4000 with the 72" deck that I've got. They definately are making progress, but it would be nice to see some more improvements with the deck.

I was originally from near Munnsville, NY (where Ferris is located) and my uncle worked for Ferris in their earlier years, so I guess I may be slightly biased towards their products. :p

coachbil
04-04-2007, 11:46 PM
We own two 3100 with 32 hp Briggs. One is a 72" one is a 61". We have ordered gator blades for both and recieved gators for the 61 but got regular high lifts for the 72. Neither set were long enough. Both sets were 1/8 inch shorter than the factory ferris. So when we turn we leave a narrow strip. Very frustrating to have to make sure you are going fairly straight in order to cut the grass. Has anyone else had this problem with blades and I would like to know what type of blades work better for fescue and for bermuda. Has anyone tried the superhigh lifts?

I am also not happy with the cut but my partner and I are the only ones who know the difference. The cut looks good enough everytime I pass a guy on another ZTR with his man boobs slapping him in the chin.

BushHawG
06-17-2007, 11:21 PM
How's the 3100 32hp ferris quality of cut going? Did you find some blades that work best? Thinking of buying the same mower, or a 66" Exmark they're running on sale now, thanks for any info. Would really like to think of saving my back, when i purchase the mower.

nograss
06-18-2007, 12:17 AM
Toro commercial 60" from Brentwood Lawnmower. Best service anywhere and the mower is top drawer.

rodfather
06-18-2007, 05:40 AM
How's the 3100 32hp ferris quality of cut going? .

200+ hours on mine and no problems

JoshC
06-18-2007, 06:34 AM
So far mine hasn't given me any problems. I've been running the stock blades and gave a set of gators a try. Both types have given me a very good quality of cut.

HS Football Rules
08-07-2007, 06:11 AM
In my exhaustive hunt for the "perfect mower" ..lol.. speed has
affected the cut on every demo..not one machine cut bad at
6 or 7 mph...and only one stayed near perfect at "max velocity".
And that was the Lesco Z2 60" (Flame suit: ON)

Having said that, I have 3 less teeth now due to that particular romp,
but it illustrates a point...Manufacturer claims as to mowing speed and
cut quality are just that...claims.

If it wasn't for the "Okie" field engineering going on with every mower
brand...no one would be happy with the machine right out of
the crate. Brand loyalists will "preach and testify" to the contrary,
but I've nearly gone blind reading posts about this tweak or that.

For you speed freaks out there, maybe the new year models will
give an actual elapsed time in the "1/4 acre".

For me, I still haven't found her, that elusive creature, but she calls me!
And for whatever obstacles are placed in my path, I, King of Sparta
will never retreat!, I will never surrender!.............Respect and Honor !!

:laugh: just watched the movie........sorry..

delphied
08-07-2007, 09:27 AM
, I myself can not justify buying a ZTR that gives an inferior quality of cut when compared to other machines. Especially when Ferris was another $1000+ compared to Toro.[/QUOTE]

This was my exact thoughts when I made my ZTR purchase.Why would anyone knowingly buy equipment that doesnt cut right when you can buy good equipment for the same price? Equipment sales must be so good right now, that manufacturers dont have to engineer it anymore. they are laughing their butts off saying,"just build it and they will come".

rodfather
08-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I don't have any problems with Ferris and right now run 8 of their machines. We've had over 20 total through the years and plan on continuing.

touhey33
08-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I you talking about the quality of cut for the ztr or the walkbehind. I am probably going to get the 52" DD walkbehind How is the quality of cut for that machine. Obviously I can make the striping better with a striping kit or chains, etc.

Envy Lawn Service
08-08-2007, 12:40 AM
In my exhaustive hunt for the "perfect mower" ..lol.. speed has
affected the cut on every demo..not one machine cut bad at
6 or 7 mph...and only one stayed near perfect at "max velocity".
And that was the Lesco Z2 60" (Flame suit: ON)

Having said that, I have 3 less teeth now due to that particular romp,
but it illustrates a point...Manufacturer claims as to mowing speed and
cut quality are just that...claims.

You'll get no flames from me.

The Ztwo will cut it as fast as you can put it under the deck... until it gets to the point where it starts to drag the engine down. But that is some hard pushing and the cut is still better than the rest at that speed.

I for one wish they would put an engine on them in the 30's HP range.
Cub does offer the same machine in a 37 hp I believe.
I'll wait around to see what the fuel consumption is like.