PDA

View Full Version : Help me out here! Landscaping bid...

bladelawn
03-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Hey guys. I got a call from a guy wanting me to install two boulder retaining walls, about 2 feet high and 8 feet long. I have never done rock walls before...what should I charge??? Thanks for the help.

McLandscaing
03-20-2007, 08:06 PM
If you have never worked with natural stone before i would sub this one out to somebody that has experience with stone work. Charge for your time and learn on the job from your sub thats how it should be done IMO.

Shaun

Raven386
03-21-2007, 02:38 AM
yea. you should probably sub this one out to someone who knows what they are doing.

Raven386
03-21-2007, 02:39 AM
try looking on here for someone in your area.

bladelawn
03-22-2007, 11:59 AM
I have done it before, at my house. Its really not too difficult. I was just curious as to how much people charge for that...

kkls2006
03-22-2007, 12:03 PM
Well if you're already a Pro.....You should have know problem figuring out you're cost?????

GreenN'Clean
03-22-2007, 01:04 PM
I was thinking the same thing keen

kkls2006
03-22-2007, 04:10 PM
I was thinking the same thing keen

"How much", "How long", "How do I", "Which Blower", "Which string trimmer", "Which lawnmower"..........Give me a break...... Figure it out for yourself as many of us on here had to do!!!!!!!!

bladelawn
03-23-2007, 01:54 PM
Wow, harsh words, KeenKut. If no one is allowed to ask questions, then what is the point of a forum? It's really a simple question; no need to get all pissy about it. I realize the business is about figuring stuff out as you go along, but this forum is here so people can HELP each other out, not rip on people who don't appear to know everything, like you.

Michael J. Donovan
03-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Let's not start a big argument over a few questions please. If you do not want to assist him with his questions, then you do not need to. Seems to me that he just needed a little assistance with his wall and wanted some input from a few experienced landscapers.

TFmike
03-23-2007, 08:50 PM
most of your cost will be in getting the stone to the site, of course stone supply very by area, for me it would be a little over 1 skid (3500#). We can get about 27 sq feet out of a skid. Time on site about 2 hours including back fill. For us we would have about $130 in stone $20 in top soil 2 trucks 2 men 2 hours (4 man hours). Charge $550-$600 considering we could get trucks close to the proposed wall and would do it on a wet day when we could't do other things. We benefit by having a stone quarry about 5 mins from our shop little transport time, your cost will be based on materials and time, just like any other job.

bladelawn
03-24-2007, 01:15 AM
TFmike, thanks for the help. that's what I was looking for. The price you said was about what I was thinking, maybe a little lower than what I was going to quote. The site he wants the walls on is covered in a rock bed about 15' x 20', which he wants to turn into a garden; so it would take awhile to remove all of that... part of the reason I was thinking a little higher.

no1plantman
03-24-2007, 10:56 AM
$550 - $600? That seems way low. I would have been around $1500.00.
Post some pics if you get the job. I have done a few natural stone planters/walls. I love working real stone.

dirty bob
03-24-2007, 02:00 PM
2 2'x8' walls leaves much to guess at. Without knowing slope, drainage, type of soil, surcharges, size of boulders and how well they are placed it's hard to give a real estimate but I would be much closer to no1plantman.

CNYScapes
03-25-2007, 03:20 PM
"How much", "How long", "How do I", "Which Blower", "Which string trimmer", "Which lawnmower"..........Give me a break...... Figure it out for yourself as many of us on here had to do!!!!!!!!

:cry: :cry: :cry: The poor guy is just looking for some help. Why not just answer his question? Is'nt that what this site is for?

anthonyr
03-26-2007, 12:48 AM
Hey, 2 feet high and 8 feet long really isn't that big of a deal - sounds like you could probably use 1 man boulders, so if you don't have a mini excavator to lift the rocks, you should be able to handle it yourself. If you haven't done it as part of your business, I'd just charge for supplies, delivery, etc.. And charge hourly for labor- say 30 an hour, since you'll be doing on the job training. You'll learn how to do it, get your experience, and your customer won't feel like he's getting ripped off. That's basically how I learned.

bladelawn
03-26-2007, 01:07 AM
Well, I quoted him 600, and he said that was more than he had budgeted for. Maybe he will come back later, or he will find someone cheaper. I guess thats part of the learning curve. Thanks guys....

lawnguyland
03-26-2007, 07:43 AM
Wow, harsh words, KeenKut. If no one is allowed to ask questions, then what is the point of a forum? It's really a simple question; no need to get all pissy about it. I realize the business is about figuring stuff out as you go along, but this forum is here so people can HELP each other out, not rip on people who don't appear to know everything, like you.

I think you have a point, but I also think KeenKut has a point. Score is 1 to 1! We should be nice or say nothing, but there's a lot of guys in this business who have no clue and probably shouldn't even be in business (not saying that's you.) As for what to charge? You've gotta figure that out and I mean that without malice.

jaybow
03-26-2007, 08:53 AM

I get sick of people on here with the attitudes like you.If you dont want to talk about this stuff take your a$$ of the website.Alot of you guys act like your brain surgeons or something.Lets not forget any twelve year old boy or younger can do this stuff.If your so good why are you on here, just to act like an a$$.:nono:

Laurentian
04-06-2007, 12:51 AM
I install boulder retaining walls with my dingo and a grapple bucket. I can set up to 24" stones bigger ones I need someone to stand on the platform with me. Once you get good at it you can rotate them right into place. Don't forget to reinforce your base. Depends on your soils. Are you working in sand or clay? Silt or Gravel? or bedrock. Does your wall have a live load above? Does it have a level toe? Depending on which you have you might want to consider drainage. And/or consider Geo Grid. To do it correct for two 8' walls with delivery of stone and handling. I wouldn't go under $1,800.00 Good luck!