PDA

View Full Version : New Edger ?

Blessed 1
03-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Friday I had all 3 of my edgers go down at the same time. My Huskvarna trigger broke so I broke out the Stihl split boom and I had just gotten a new shaft installed and where the shaft goes into the head must have stripped. My echo has been in the cage all winter and it would not start. I have never purchased a new dedicated edger. Thinking about trying something new aka Red Max or Shind..... I took the Huskvarna from my brother because he was not using it (sat for a couple of years) and I was impressed with the lightness and the power. What are you guys favorites for the dollar. I Normally buy the highest powered unit available because is you have not noticed by my signature I am a power nut. Better to have and not need rather than need and not have. Thanks:weightlifter:

Jake's Lawn Service
03-20-2007, 04:20 PM
I am pretty happy with my Redmax straight shaft edger. Serves the purpose for the work I do. Also, a little bit cheaper than the other ones too
Jake

Tanaka
03-20-2007, 04:25 PM
Friday I had all 3 of my edgers go down at the same time. My Huskvarna trigger broke so I broke out the Stihl split boom and I had just gotten a new shaft installed and where the shaft goes into the head must have stripped. My echo has been in the cage all winter and it would not start. I have never purchased a new dedicated edger. Thinking about trying something new aka Red Max or Shind..... I took the Huskvarna from my brother because he was not using it (sat for a couple of years) and I was impressed with the lightness and the power. What are you guys favorites for the dollar. I Normally buy the highest powered unit available because is you have not noticed by my signature I am a power nut. Better to have and not need rather than need and not have. Thanks:weightlifter:

If you are a power nut, is 50 cc, 2.5 h.p. enough?

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TLE-600

-MW

lawnboy dan
03-20-2007, 05:19 PM
for over-all quality the shin is the winner. the husky has power but isnt as durable

Blessed 1
03-21-2007, 08:02 AM

http://www.tanaka-usa.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TLE-600

-MW

I appreciate you taking the time to reply but walk behind edgers are a waste of time to me unless you are esablishing a edge. My first year in business my first edger was a walk behind. I used it no more than 5 times and gave it away. I meant that I prefer the higher cc models but to be honest this is one peice of handheld equipment that I could probally get away the Mid cc model. I still have the Stihl FS 110 Split Boom Edger that could use for those heavy duty times. I am going to call my dealers today to check prices.

naturescape
03-21-2007, 10:51 AM
I appreciate you taking the time to reply but walk behind edgers are a waste of time to me unless you are esablishing a edge. My first year in business my first edger was a walk behind. I used it no more than 5 times and gave it away. I meant that I prefer the higher cc models but to be honest this is one peice of handheld equipment that I could probally get away the Mid cc model. I still have the Stihl FS 110 Split Boom Edger that could use for those heavy duty times. I am going to call my dealers today to check prices.

Obviously, your first edger was not a Tanaka WB. Overall, it IS faster, and certainly does a MUCH better job and is LESS STRESSFULL on your body to use, especially if you're edging for more than, say, 5 minutes. I use a combination of my Tanaka 600 WB and my trimmer w/ Edgit.

Stick edgers SUCK. Echo is to blame for starting this nonsense. I have my 3rd one (I kept trying em LOL) sitting in my garage, as the others did before I sold them.

lawnpro724
03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
Don't buy a stick edger unless your only using it to suplement a string trimmer they just don't have the power and are not built to handle much more than that. I would spend the money and buy a dedicated edger you will be much happier.

GreenN'Clean
03-21-2007, 12:32 PM
I have had good luck with echo over the years so i stick to what works best for me

E&J lawncare
03-21-2007, 01:28 PM
Shindaiwa starts easy, runs great, and is very well balanced.
How it feels is very important to me. I dont likesomething that vibrates to much. The power on a 260 is great also. I bought a few different brands from ebay when i started out just to try them then I started buying new.

LandscaperPro
03-21-2007, 05:02 PM

-MW

Obviously, your first edger was not a Tanaka WB. Overall, it IS faster, and certainly does a MUCH better job and is LESS STRESSFULL on your body to use, especially if you're edging for more than, say, 5 minutes. I use a combination of my Tanaka 600 WB and my trimmer w/ Edgit.

Stick edgers SUCK. Echo is to blame for starting this nonsense. I have my 3rd one (I kept trying em LOL) sitting in my garage, as the others did before I sold them.

Couldn't agree more.... This thing is a workhorse and gives a more "professional" look than free handing with a stick edger IMO.

Look at it here: http://www.landscaperpro.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1025