PDA

View Full Version : Slime in rear tires of your Z

Titans Fan
03-20-2007, 05:18 PM
Do any of you guys put slime in your rear tires to prevent downtime?

Just curious. My Lazer Z has soild front tires, but I'm thinking about filling my rear tires so I won't face any downtime due to flat tires!

jbell113
03-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I slimed all of my tires, Z riders and Walkbehinds. I have puctured them several times. I know cause for a few seconds you can see the slime leaking out the hole until it seals.

tacoma200
03-20-2007, 05:47 PM
I think it's a good idea. Hustlers come standard with slime (or other brand) in the tires. It is a must for air filled front tires.

LawnBrother
03-20-2007, 05:47 PM
If you don't do the SLIME, be prepared to do the TIME!

cpel2004
03-20-2007, 05:51 PM
So how do you guys do that? Do you put the slime in before you have any leaks. If so how do you guage your tire pressure? Thanks

paolaken
03-20-2007, 05:59 PM
slime all the time. every tire

tacoma200
03-20-2007, 06:04 PM
You have to deflate the tires, pump it in, and then run the tires for a while to get good even coverage inside the tread area. Then check you pressure as always. Most of the slime will go to the tread area and it has never affected my air guage.

The Captain
03-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Like tacoma2000 said, take out the valve core and use the plastic tube supplied with the Slime kit. Replace the core, reinflate, drive the mower a few minutes , recheck/adjust the air pressure. You're done.

grass disaster
03-20-2007, 06:27 PM
how big of a mess does this make when you have to replace the tire?

i just replaced the backs on my zd because they were getting leaks all the time.

tacoma200
03-20-2007, 06:31 PM
how big of a mess does this make when you have to replace the tire?

i just replaced the backs on my zd because they were getting leaks all the time.

Not sure, I've never had to replace one. But even if it took a little clean up when you changed tires that would be insignificant in comparison to the time slime will save you in down time.

just Cuts
03-20-2007, 06:36 PM
My Toro dealer freaks out when someone brings a mower in to replace a tire with slime in it. What a mess!

Big Bad Bob
03-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Not sure, I've never had to replace one. But even if it took a little clean up when you changed tires that would be insignificant in comparison to the time slime will save you in down time.

it's a mess. i replace my own tires. but it's worth it in that i have almost never had a flat. first thing i do is fill with slime. just run your normal tire pressure.

Big Bad Bob
03-20-2007, 06:53 PM
My Toro dealer freaks out when someone brings a mower in to replace a tire with slime in it. What a mess!

sure. he'd rather make money fixing the flats than dealing with the mess. lost revenue for the dealer but more moey in your pocket. sorry to the dealers out there but we've gotta survive too.

cantoo
03-20-2007, 07:10 PM
We run plugs and slime. We get lots of thorns so we need the slime. We also have a bunch on zero flats. Slow but sure change over.

howardsells2000
03-20-2007, 10:19 PM
Can you use slime in tubes or does the tire have to be tubeless?

Duncan90si
03-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Can you use slime in tubes or does the tire have to be tubeless?

They make a tire sealant and a tube sealant. http://www.slimesealant.com/lawngarden/index.php

Envy Lawn Service
03-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Berrymans works good too.

I carry that and an air pump in the truck.
I don't typically add anything until I get a leak.

But I can understand why most just do it.

Myself, I'd like to "load" some rear tires with the slime for traction.
The stuff is heavy.

But man that would COST!

On that note... does anyone know how toxic this sort of stuff is to turf in the event of a major puncture?

Ever thought about that?

QCS
03-21-2007, 12:19 AM
Slime is the only way to go. I had two flats in one week prior to using slime, knock on wood, have not had any to date. I always carry compressor and plug kit for standby......

QCS

Metro Lawn
03-21-2007, 12:57 AM
We use to run the Slime in everything, but it was costly. Now we have the tires foam filled. You can have a 1" hole in the tire and it won't go flat. If you never have seen this stuff, it is kinda like that expandable foam insulation stuff in a can. It goes in as a liquid, then it expands and dries solid.

Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs.
03-21-2007, 04:36 AM
My tire dealer does not mind if you tell him it's in there. It's a mess! I usually tip the guy that changes it just for dealing with the mess. Also my dealer sells a product that comes in a caulk tube that I use. It's a little thicker and does great.

Titans Fan
03-21-2007, 08:27 AM
I know that it is messy - I use to work for a dealer. But that wouldn't keep me from doing it. Like someone else said, take care of the mechanic changing the tire out.

Thanks for all of your input!

mosmgras
03-21-2007, 10:06 AM
I run zero flats on all my equipments non-drive tires and slime in all the drives.

Don't know about the mess, I haven't had to change a drive tire since going to the slime. I do have a few that are close so I suppose I'll find out soon.

dhardin53
03-21-2007, 01:08 PM
My Dixie Chopper comes Slimed, I have several mowers that I have slimed and fluid filed as well. I change all my oun tires, I carry a plugger kit in my tool box and a tank of air as well.

LandscaperPro
03-21-2007, 06:07 PM
LandscaperPro.com carries SLIME in 4 convenient sizes to fit your needs.

Take a look here:http://www.landscaperpro.com/index.asp?PageAction=PRODSEARCH&txtSearch=slime&btnSearch=GO&Page=1

MANOFSTIHL
03-21-2007, 09:59 PM
Foam filling makes the tire very heavy. Expect to buy bearings for not only rim but also yokes if you foam fill. Slime is still best for punctures in treads.

MANOFSTIHL
03-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Also Scag has Flat Free replacement tire wheel assemblies with bearings that will fit some other brands. Bring in your old one to a dealer and try to match it...

Not bad priced either.

forrpets
05-01-2007, 01:35 AM
hi,
Does anyone have any tricks on reseating a lawn tractor tire onto the rim. I have been using a ratchet strap around the middle but not very affective. thanks so much.

Envy Lawn Service
05-01-2007, 02:00 AM
hi,
Does anyone have any tricks on reseating a lawn tractor tire onto the rim. I have been using a ratchet strap around the middle but not very affective. thanks so much.

You need access to high speed high PSI air and a valvestem core removal tool.

I've seen them hard enough to deal with that a bead sealer tool had to be used.
(blows an explosive force of air into the tire from the bead area)

The best thing to do is take it to your tire store.
Have them clean your rim and install bead sealer on it before fixing it to help prevent it in the future.

hotrodsnapper
05-01-2007, 01:01 PM
hi,

I had a boat trailer tire that needed this a few weeks ago, from sitting though the winter!. I tried pulling the valve core and could not move enough air to get it to seat, at 150 psi at the compressor. Then I tried a ratchet strap and could not get it tight enough to make the tire seat (skinny tire). After I got pretty streamed about it, I spotted my can of starter fluid. I squeezed the tire down enough to squirt a little in by the rim and took my lighter to it! It popped a little and immediately sealed the bead! Aired it up and headed to the lake!

Also, back on the subject, somebody asked about the effect of slime spilled on grass. I remember seeing on the bottle that it is non-toxic to plants and animals. It might leave a little mess, but since it is water soluble you can hose it off of about anything!

ccondie
05-01-2007, 10:26 PM
i put slime in every tire, saves alot of headaches