PDA

View Full Version : Had no choice... Tractor Supply Bad Boy...

Carolina Cuts
03-20-2007, 05:32 PM
Was in a bind... My Snapper 52" took a sh## on me... and has been for the past couple weeks. In and out of the shop... (I blame the shop) seems they keep replacing the damn spark plugs, but refuse to look for the reason the plugs are fouling out. Needless to say, I should always have a back plan, but didn't, so I decided to pick up the Bad Boy. Wanted to spend more money for the bigger better machines... ex.. Walker, Exmark, Scag ect. But, it's tax season... I'm gonna owe a bunch. My house (being built) is closing in April... and I haven't even bought appliances or furniture yet. UGH! So I shopped around for a decent machine under 6,000. Came up with this. Now I can put the Snapper in the shop and get it fixed RIGHT!
I think the main reason I went with it, was because the warranty. Full 4 years. Mechanical, electrical AND WEAR AND TEAR! Go figure!

Gruneich Lawn Care, Inc.
03-20-2007, 05:38 PM
Looks like a nice mower, let us know how it works out for you.

Carolina Cuts
03-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Thus far... it's pretty good. Needs some minor tweeks though. The deck is lowering to 2 inches... (the gage reads that it drops further) which down here, would help. The alignment is a little off as well... specially in reverse. Of course the guy at tractor supply told me the trucks dropped them off and split... no fine tuning was done on the units. Cut is ok... 60"... it does the job. It's quiet until I engage the blades.... then I need the ear muffs. I use to zip around on the used snapper... this one I'm finding myself being very careful... guessing because it's new. Hydrolic deck... takes some gettin' use to as well.

ACEMowing
03-20-2007, 06:36 PM
I love the Bad Boy mower line... we're looking for a reason to justify a new Lightning Z series. But, where did you hear about the warranty... I read where the ZTs are 1 year warranty for commercial use... not 4 years.
I'm also sure Tractor Supply doesn't have the ability to do the setup once they receive them so I'm sure there's a little tweaking that the dealer normally does for you.
Congrats on the new mower... bet you'll love it.

dcondon
03-20-2007, 06:38 PM
Thats not a bad looking mower at all. Let us know how you make out with it and lets see some pic's of lawns you have cut.

Carolina Cuts
03-20-2007, 06:47 PM
Tractor Supply offered it... through badboy apparently. The warranty work that came with the BadBoy information packet talks about 1 year commercial/2 year residential. BUT, when I paid for the machine... they offered me an extended plan... 3 year - $399....4 year - $525. Full parts and labor...... according to tractor supply. I hope TS wasn't BS'n me....

Carolina Cuts
03-20-2007, 06:52 PM
Thats not a bad looking mower at all. Let us know how you make out with it and lets see some pic's of lawns you have cut.

Don't have any yet. Only cut a lousy commercial account so far. Not worth taking pics of... in fact... you can't appreciate a picture of a fresh cut lawn down here, as you could a northern lawn. We cut em' pretty short... 1.5" - 2"... yup, pretty tight. So forget the lines and striping.

Carolina Cuts
03-20-2007, 07:28 PM
this is an example... lawn was cut 24 hours before.... with a 52". It's clean... even... but that's about it. Centipede grass.

Mowingman
03-20-2007, 08:16 PM
So, who is going to do the warranty work during the extended warranty period? Just wondering, since TSC sure can not handle it.

stuffdeer
03-20-2007, 08:25 PM
So, who is going to do the warranty work during the extended warranty period? Just wondering, since TSC sure can not handle it.

TSC sends it to the local Mower shop. When I took my Cub Cadet in, I got to meet the owner of the shop they sent it too. It took one less then a week, and did everything right.

dwost
03-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Congrats on the new purchase. I've started another post on the BB line as I too am looking to purchase one (hopefully sooner rather than later) I have to say for a "residential" (at least that's how they are marketing it) mower it blows away anything I've seen at a box store in that price category. Please let us know how it holds up under constant use. As for the tweeking I'd definitely give BB a call and see if they can hook you up. Also hit their site, I've downloaded the manuals for the Lightning/AOS models and there is a TON of info in there. I bet a couple hours over the weekend will have that cutting on par with anything else out there.

Carolina Cuts
03-20-2007, 08:41 PM

I happened to be 20 minutes from 3 different shops that are providing the warranty work. One particular was mentioned to have a 24 hour turn around time. When I get a chance, I'll probably stop in... check the place out...
I think this mower is cool for me right now. I think I'm right at 36-38 residentials and 1 commercial account... sits on 7 acres but only about 3-4 acres of grass.

johnwon
03-20-2007, 08:59 PM
Well as for setting the deck pitch yourself.....don't feel bad, I had to do mine on a new Gravely and the dealer got to have all the time they asked for and then some to prep it for pick-up. I don't think they even checked it, not less adjust it any. I Wish the best to you and your Bad Boy Machine.
Also it looks like you have a lot of deck out there to trim up close to things.

DJ Contracting
03-20-2007, 09:08 PM
I happened to be 20 minutes from 3 different shops that are providing the warranty work. One particular was mentioned to have a 24 hour turn around time. When I get a chance, I'll probably stop in... check the place out...
I think this mower is cool for me right now. I think I'm right at 36-38 residentials and 1 commercial account... sits on 7 acres but only about 3-4 acres of grass.

Hey i seen one of those up here in Michigan it looked like it was built well good luck with it, i'll be down that way Sunday thru Thrusday we'll be staying @ the South Beach Resort. my wife and i are takeing a few day to golf before my busy season starts.

Carolina Cuts
03-20-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey i seen one of those up here in Michigan it looked like it was built well good luck with it, i'll be down that way Sunday thru Thrusday we'll be staying @ the South Beach Resort. my wife and i are takeing a few day to golf before my busy season starts.

Thanks... it seems like it's built well. We'll see a year from now. hahaha

Golf??? Right on! I try to go out 1-2 times a month (the practice hasn't helped my game at all) on the average green in 3,then I 4 putt it!!! :dizzy: ... now the season is coming... weather has been nice during the day... chills down a bit at night.. and in the morning. Fairways look good, greens have been great the last few times I went out. I have a broinlaw flyin' in on Sunday for some golf as well... unfortunately, I've been busy with mulch and clean ups. Gonna have to make some time for at least 9 holes somewhere with him.

You have a golf package deal at certain courses? or are you playin' it by ear once you arrive?

newz7151
03-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Tractor Supply offered it... through badboy apparently. The warranty work that came with the BadBoy information packet talks about 1 year commercial/2 year residential. BUT, when I paid for the machine... they offered me an extended plan... 3 year - $399....4 year - $525. Full parts and labor...... according to tractor supply. I hope TS wasn't BS'n me....

:hammerhead: NEWCORP (which is the administrator of extended warranties sold through TSC) does NOT warrant units for commercial use. Your "extended warranty" on that machine has just cost you $525. The extended warranty is for RESIDENTIAL, NON INCOME PRODUCING use. Also, the "extended warranty" starts on the day it is purchased and runs in conjunction with the manufacturers warranty. You'd do better to take it back and get refunded on the extended warranty as they sold you a line of BS (or didn't realize you were using it in your business). For ANY WARRANTY WORK covered by NEWCORP, you have to call NEW before you can even take it to a shop (if you can find one close by that is signed up with NEW as a service center).

When will you guys that are "in business" learn to read before you buy and save yourself some money?

Carolina Cuts
03-20-2007, 09:45 PM
When will you guys that are "in business" learn to read before you buy and save yourself some money?

Could've did without that... smart@ss

I'll find out tomorrow... make some calls and find out the deal from the shop providing the warranty services.

Envy Lawn Service
03-20-2007, 10:07 PM
Congrats on the purchase!

It's a LOT of mower for the money and category.

The ONLY thing I saw when I looked at them that I thought could use some tweaking was the rear track width. They don't use a unique setup on the 60" version and it shows. It has a LOT of trim capacity, which will be nice, but probably at the expense of being prone to side-scalping.

But I figure most of what you mow down there is flat as a pool table.
So it should work out perfect for you.

Congrats on the purchase, and best of luck.

daveintoledo
03-20-2007, 10:13 PM
saw one the other day, sure looked like it was build better then anything else they have carried....i have no basis for my gut instinct, but lets say im skeptical.... let everyone know how it hold up.....

i think the issue of commercial use and the warranty is correct....im pretty sure it voids the warranty period....fill us in on what you find out about that would you please....

Good Luck

newz7151
03-20-2007, 10:42 PM
Could've did without that... smart@ss

I'll find out tomorrow... make some calls and find out the deal from the shop providing the warranty services.

I guess I'll take that back, because it's not just you commercial guys. Many homeowners buy those extended warranties thinking that they start after the manufacturer one expires. But really, if a machine is only coming with a 1 year com. warranty, no extended warranty company is going to underwrite it to extend it for additional years for commercial use.

Also, ILLINI DAD can likely clear up all the warranty stuff for you if you contact him. He likely has a PRETTY GOOD SOURCE of info for BadBoy.

Carolina Cuts
03-20-2007, 10:56 PM
this may sound like a silly question and I'm sure it is cause I don't know the answer, but how would they really know what I'm using for? Two years from now, the engine quits with 500-600 hrs on it.... I take it to the shop, show em' the extended warranty info... what then?

I have a two year old Stihl stick edger.... some goofy part on it went bad... the shop told me to leave it... as they'll cover it under some kinda warranty. Didn't even know I had a warranty on it.... replaced it, parts and labor... free.

Envy Lawn Service
03-21-2007, 12:11 AM
this may sound like a silly question and I'm sure it is cause I don't know the answer, but how would they really know what I'm using for? Two years from now, the engine quits with 500-600 hrs on it.... I take it to the shop, show em' the extended warranty info... what then?

I have a two year old Stihl stick edger.... some goofy part on it went bad... the shop told me to leave it... as they'll cover it under some kinda warranty. Didn't even know I had a warranty on it.... replaced it, parts and labor... free.

The hour meter... and sometimes the overall condition... that will tell on you...
"IF" the coverage is scrutenized... or if the shop wants to tattle...

Get yourself a second hour meter... keep the machine pretty mint and forget about it...

Swap out at service intervals for a while... and keep it realistic.

They had you buy that warranty knowing you'd loose, or without asking enough questions/sharing enough info with you. Either way, you paid for it and I think you deserve to have the ability to make use of it should you need to.

DJ Contracting
03-21-2007, 04:18 PM
Thanks... it seems like it's built well. We'll see a year from now. hahaha

Golf??? Right on! I try to go out 1-2 times a month (the practice hasn't helped my game at all) on the average green in 3,then I 4 putt it!!! :dizzy: ... now the season is coming... weather has been nice during the day... chills down a bit at night.. and in the morning. Fairways look good, greens have been great the last few times I went out. I have a broinlaw flyin' in on Sunday for some golf as well... unfortunately, I've been busy with mulch and clean ups. Gonna have to make some time for at least 9 holes somewhere with him.

You have a golf package deal at certain courses? or are you playin' it by ear once you arrive?

Yeah I get free golf at two different coarse we also will be playing the par three four, it's name starts with Tip something anyway it's south of Myrtle Beaceh. Post a pic of your truck and I'll see if we see you around, anyway have a good day .

topsites
03-21-2007, 04:30 PM
Thus far... it's pretty good. Needs some minor tweeks though.

Yeah but that's normal, all my machines need tweaking before I run them through my customer's yards, I been preaching that for a couple of years now: Always go over the entire machine before you take her out for her maiden cut. Then, practice on your own yard, tweak some more, it really is normal, just kills me how the dealers assure us she's "ready to go!" lolol guess they have a great sense of humor idk. Oh, and I think they all track a little sideways, my new Warrior does it too, stupid lol.
I would make sure all the tire pressures are equalized and all that thou, my Z tracks mostly straight but you gotta keep an eye on it.

Looks nice, I think once you get'r dialed in, you'll be gtg, nice size deck too.