PDA

View Full Version : Lawn edgers....stick or walk behind?

americanlawn
03-20-2007, 07:31 PM
:usflag: I'm leaning toward buying a stick edger:

they take up less space than a walk-behind
easy to lift into a car or truck

This wouild be for personal use cuz we subcontract our mowing, etc.

BRANDS:

I hear Tanaka is good - also:
Stihl
Shindaiwa
Echo

most of the other brands of power lawn tools....I know enough to stay away from, cuz I like to buy quality ---- even if it's used.

Please help. (walk-behind or stick) + which brand?

Thanks much.

DoetschOutdoor
03-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Stick edger for sure. I think walk behinds are past their time. A good powerful stick edger will cut through alot of overgrown grass on a sidewalk or whatever and can be used for bed edging as well.

americanlawn
03-20-2007, 07:35 PM
ooops! looks like I duplicated this topic. sorry

ed2hess
03-20-2007, 07:37 PM
I don't understand the need for an edger....in 25 years we have used trimmers to make edges and they do just fine. Our grasses have runners so they are probably tougher than norther grasses. Don't want to take up space on trailers for another tool and extra time to walk to get it on/off for a small amount of edging.

2 clowns mowing
03-20-2007, 07:38 PM
i've found that stick edgers clog up when soil is moist. i use a stihl yard boss works great and fast

Scag48
03-20-2007, 07:46 PM
I'm not sure why anyone would ever need a walk behind edger these days. I edged with a trimmer for years, then finally bought a stick edger and thought the stick edger was overkill, can't imagine needing any more power that a walk behind edger would provide.

americanlawn
03-20-2007, 07:54 PM
hey...it's my wife's idea. to me, it means extra work. LOL thanks

americanlawn
03-20-2007, 08:54 PM
I understand the benefits of walk behind units, but I prefer not to have to rely on pulling a trailer or always having a truck available.

Keep 'em coming as I truly appreciate ALL of your guys' oppinions.

Which brands/models work for you?

Wishing you ALL sucess for 2007, Thanks!

dcondon
03-20-2007, 08:57 PM
Trimmer works for us. I think we only have 1 or 2 accounts that we will use a stick edger on.

Lazer_Z
03-20-2007, 09:17 PM
I understand the benefits of walk behind units, but I prefer not to have to rely on pulling a trailer or always having a truck available.

Keep 'em coming as I truly appreciate ALL of your guys' opinions.

Which brands/models work for you?

Wishing you ALL success for 2007, Thanks! I have a Stihl FC110 and I love the power. The only thing that I think could match it or one up it would be the Tanaka TLE 600 WB edger.

Rob

americanlawn
03-20-2007, 09:29 PM
I know you're talking St Augustine & sometimes Bermuda. Tif sometimes, but rarely.

I worked for ChemLawn in Dallas, then San Antonio & Austin for many years back in the 70's & 80's (God I miss the TexMex food).

Since I returned to my home in Iowa (bluegrass), people are "anal" about fine-tuning their manicured lawns.

I miss my friends in south TX & HEB food stores that sell Lone Star.

Floating down the Guadulupe RULES!

Take care, Larry.

Pietro
03-20-2007, 09:37 PM
I almost got the tanaka, then I Saw the price. I got the STIHL FC110 and it works great in everything. 0 complaints.

PhillyShells
03-20-2007, 09:38 PM
I have a stick edger and use it only on new customers that has grass severly overlapping onto their sidewalk or where ever. After the first shot though I do all edging with a trimmer.

americanlawn
03-20-2007, 09:40 PM
Thanks Rob.

The wife's puttin' the pressure on me to buy one (not that we need one, but you know how women are ..... they have that "shopping mall instinct" in them. lol THANKS!

ed2hess
03-20-2007, 11:29 PM
I know you're talking St Augustine & sometimes Bermuda. Tif sometimes, but rarely.

I worked for ChemLawn in Dallas, then San Antonio & Austin for many years back in the 70's & 80's (God I miss the TexMex food).

Since I returned to my home in Iowa (bluegrass), people are "anal" about fine-tuning their manicured lawns.

I miss my friends in south TX & HEB food stores that sell Lone Star.

Floating down the Guadulupe RULES!

Take care, Larry.

We still got all that stuff.....come on back down everybody else is coming. We will get you some Chuys food with the Lone Star.

TXbulldog
03-21-2007, 12:52 AM
If you want a manicured look, a good stick edger is the ticket. I have seen numerous edge jobs done with a string trimmer and most of the time they leave a lot to be desired. There are almost always varying gaps and the obligatory half moon "oops" cuts in the turf. The edging in the attached file is done week in and week out with the FC85 with excellent results. -Jason

dekalb lawn man
03-21-2007, 01:12 AM
I just bought the Stihl yard boss and i have to say that it is one hell of a machine. I tilled the garden at my house about a foot deep with it in about 15 minutes. Last year it took me about 6 hours of shovel turning and it did not turn out nearly as nice as the yard boss did. After I was done tilling I changed the tiller to the edger (took about 30 seconds) and edged my entire property. As far as size goes it is not that much bigger than a stick edger and it is really lite. My wife ( 5' 3" 120 ) used it a little and had no problems at all lifting it back into my truck. I would recommend the yard boss.