PDA

View Full Version : $ per acre

bigcountry01
03-20-2007, 08:42 PM
what do u guys with bigger accounts charge per acre? Just curious what the average rate is. Ive got mostly small accounts in neighborhoods and i am going to be placing a bid on 2 different properties tomorrow that are both about an acre. One is commercial with very little trimming..other is a home with a good bit of trimming

americanlawn
03-20-2007, 09:17 PM
We have a price chart.

Difficulty factor + square footage.

It starts at our minimum of $26.

Then it goes in price per 1000 square feet.

4 categories =

easy....average....difficult...very difficult

Then categories = 10,000, 20,000, and upwords to 450,00+.

Our mowing price chart was put together from years of experience (basically time, effort, costs).

This is what you need to pinpoint accurate mowing bids.

Some guys do a "drive through" and "guess".
We do not. We accurately measure every property - then factor in difficulty.

Some jobs we do not bid cuz it's something we don't want to risk.

Sure...we don't get most jobs, but we have been successful for 30 years.

Hope this helps.

bigcountry01
03-20-2007, 10:16 PM
thanks for the info...anyone else?

Duncan90si
03-20-2007, 10:45 PM
I basically do the same thing just maybe not as precise as americanlawn. The price usually starts at $25 an acre then goes up from there for hills, banks, ditches, swampy/muddy areas etc. This is for multiple acre accounts like 10 acres and up. For residential accounts around a couple acres usually starts at $35-40, but it can vary drastically. You have to consider whether bagging or discharging, amount of trimming, any steep banks or ditches, the quality of grass, (is it crappy field grass or a nice thick lawn), how picky does the customer seem :) etc.

Envy Lawn Service
03-21-2007, 12:59 AM
Oh crap... this subject again...

It's a very good one to discuss, I just don't enjoy doing it is all.

The reason is that a lot of people lowball acreage...
Then try to sit there at their keyboard and justify it on here.

You can lower your price a little for big volume... if you are going to be saving major road time and pay for the guys riding down the road.

But past that, you really start to shoot yourself in the foot... bad...

You really can't cut into your rate-per-thousand really far before you're really better off steering clear in favor of a few more smaller jobs.

Believe me, I know all too well that people want a price break for volume, and they can only justify spending so much of their budget on getting their grass cut when they have acreage to cut.

But frankly, it is not my problem that some people are grass-poor.

A lot of people in my area own more grassy area than they can afford to pay to have kept up.
Totally not my problem.

Finance a tractor or ZTR and do it yourself...
Hire a lowballer...
Let it go....
Move....