PDA

View Full Version : White Pine Install

markam70
03-20-2007, 09:41 PM
Ok everyone...I know everyones pricing is different but just give me the price for your area. Also, I've been in this business for quite some time, so I'm not looking for any lessons.

Here's the situation....
Install 10 White Pine, semi-sheared, 10-12' tall, mulch, in good soil.
Give me your total price.

I'll explain the rest after I get some replies.

Thanks

CutRight
03-21-2007, 09:23 PM
take whatever you paid for it and multiply it by 3.

markam70
03-21-2007, 10:14 PM
actually, i'm looking for figures, not advice. what would this cost be for your area?

TFmike
03-21-2007, 10:36 PM
we did just that in 0ct. 2006 $6870 + sales tax, 12 month limited warranty. I will try to get back and explain the price factors after a few more post.

TJLANDS
03-21-2007, 11:44 PM
Where in the USA are you located?

2.5 -3 times retail depending on the situation, distance, ease etc.

My price for 10-12 WP $135, retail 200 so between 5k and 6k.
warrantied for one year

markam70
03-22-2007, 12:33 AM
i'm in va. a local competitor who just started in business gave a quote for this job. we were contacted by the customer to give a quote which landed us the job.

my cost on the trees was $80.00 each wholesale plus delivery.
our markup is 135%...$188 each plus labor, mulch and 1 yr guarantee. total came to just over $5000.

after we finished, the customer comes out with her other quote. i almost fainted. this guy wanted $9600.00 to do this job. he's all pi$$ed off because people are realizing he's ripping them pretty good and blames me for "lowballing" his prices. we've been in business for 15 yrs and this guy worked for another company for 2 yrs before going out on his own a yr ago.

i just wanted to check prices to see how he and i compared to other reputable companies. seems to me he was way out of line.

any opinions?

Fordsuvparts
03-22-2007, 12:54 AM
You did that job too cheap, you left alot of money on the table!!!!!!!!!!
I agree that the other guys was to high but you were way to low. You should always at least double the cost of the tree, in case you have a few that up and die on you.

markam70
03-22-2007, 08:54 AM
like i said earlier, i'm not looking for advice. i've been doing this long enough and am confident in my pricing. each market is different, so in your area, my price is a little low.

paponte
03-22-2007, 09:15 AM
like i said earlier, i'm not looking for advice. i've been doing this long enough and am confident in my pricing. each market is different, so in your area, my price is a little low.

I personally think you have a bad attitude, and are indeed low balling. Ask anyone in the business and the general rule of thumb would be at least 2.5-3x's a markup on plant material. This is an open forum and people can post openly, if you can't handle what people reply, then simply don't post.

I honestly don't care how long you've been in business, you can always learn something new, and it's nice to see other views on the same topic. If you can sit here and tell me you know absolutely EVERYTHING about every aspect of the industry I will call you a liar to your face. It's just thats simple. :clapping:

Grassmechanic
03-22-2007, 11:02 AM
10 -10-12' trees for 5k? I'd never come close getting that. There's guys around here that'll do it for $250 each. It'll probably even be cheaper this year with so many people out of work.

markam70
03-22-2007, 04:47 PM
I personally think you have a bad attitude, and are indeed low balling. Ask anyone in the business and the general rule of thumb would be at least 2.5-3x's a markup on plant material. This is an open forum and people can post openly, if you can't handle what people reply, then simply don't post.

I honestly don't care how long you've been in business, you can always learn something new, and it's nice to see other views on the same topic. If you can sit here and tell me you know absolutely EVERYTHING about every aspect of the industry I will call you a liar to your face. It's just thats simple. :clapping:

read my posts. the trees cost me $80.00 each. my total material costs were less than $1200. two mens and skid steer...done in 3 hrs. total price to customer was $5150.00 which is more than 2.5-3x price.

i wasn't asking for advice but i never said i know everything. i was asking for dollar amounts. maybe you should read the entire thread before making a comment. as for my attitude, i really don't give a rats a$$ what you think, thats not the topic of this thread.

TFmike
03-22-2007, 10:10 PM
we did just that in 0ct. 2006 $6870 + sales tax, 12 month limited warranty. I will try to get back and explain the price factors after a few more post.

OK had time to look up the job sheet our retail on that tree $435 (they were butes) X 10 = 4350 10 yds mulch delivered $250 (our actual cost), 20% insurance $870 labor 1 day 2 men 1 mini X $1400 $500 per day man $400 mini X We most often sell labor by the day if crews wont be able to get very far on a second job that day.