PDA

View Full Version : Did I over bid for bagging

stephenslawncare
03-20-2007, 11:20 PM
Okay, today I got a call from a lady asking for a bid, I went over to her house and she said that the entire lawn HAD to be bagged. The lawn was probably 1/2 an acre but half the back yard was woods and the ground was moss in the wooded area and the other half of the back was turf. She said that even though there was no grass in the wooded area, she wanted me to mow it once a month to pick up the "stuff" in there. I only bag two of my properties and one of them is next to the woods and the other one pays for neighborhood pickup but this yard had neither and I knew I would have to haul the clippings away. I told her that it would be $24.00 for the mowing, plus an additional $12.00 for bagging totaling $36.00 per week. She looked at me like and said "I was thinking more like $25.00" and then looked at me like I was going to lower my bid. I informed her that all bids are non-negotiable and that this is the final price. She said that she was going to get some other bids and call me back. Did I over price for bagging? Also not only would having to empty the bag slow me down, but turning around all those trees with the bagger hanging off the side would also slow me down. Also, what do you all charge to bag?

Ric3077
03-20-2007, 11:45 PM
Um, a half acre bagged would be $100 here...up in Chicago I would think it woulld be more....you didn't overbid...you underbid...BIG TIME!!!

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-20-2007, 11:48 PM
""She looked at me like and said "I was thinking more like $25.00" and then looked at me like I was going to lower my bid.""

When they say that I tell them this is how I make a living and I can't afford to use a $9,000 mower for peanuts. Then I tell them to find some uninsured underage neighborhood kid and let them do it, but hope he doesn't get hurt.

Lynden-Jeff
03-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Yep, Half acre here for me would be atleast $80 bagged and hauled away, $70 if bagging and no haul and $50-$60 with no bagging at all.

Cheers
Jeff

stephenslawncare
03-20-2007, 11:57 PM
okay thanks guys, if she really wants it bagged but doesnt want to pay that, she can go out and mow it herself

Lynden-Jeff
03-21-2007, 12:00 AM
I bid $40 for an old guy on a half acre, not to to much grass but majority of it was in the back yard, down steps which only a 21 can get to. The guy is still getting other quotes, which I doubt he will get much cheaper lol.

Cheers
Jeff

Jason Rose
03-21-2007, 01:16 AM
Around here that would be $30, $35 TOPS, bagged. But we run equipment that bags all the time and have provisions for it. Heck I mow numerous lawns that are 15 to 20K, bagged, for 27 a week... just the going rate.

Ric3077
03-21-2007, 01:19 AM
Around here that would be $30, $35 TOPS, bagged. But we run equipment that bags all the time and have provisions for it. Heck I mow numerous lawns that are 15 to 20K, bagged, for 27 a week... just the going rate.

Wow that must suck...my brother in law is an lco in Topeka and I know he gets more than that...your customers must be in poverty or something.

Woody82986
03-21-2007, 01:35 AM
I absolutely hate bagging grass. Nothing like having to stop to empty bags to slow down a day and put me in a horrible mood...

Sammy
03-21-2007, 01:43 AM
Nope, no bagging here either.

Jason Rose
03-21-2007, 01:47 AM
Wow that must suck...my brother in law is an lco in Topeka and I know he gets more than that...your customers must be in poverty or something.

None that I mow for are... Many wealthy around here, we don't have a Jersey type economy for sure, plus this is the middle of the US, plus this is an "older" community, plus there is a LOT of competition around here!

greengiant9963
03-21-2007, 01:49 AM
Um, a half acre bagged would be $100 here...up in Chicago I would think it woulld be more....you didn't overbid...you underbid...BIG TIME!!!

Wow..that is good money. They get $100 dollars to bag a half acre of property..I am living in the wrong area.

greengiant9963
03-21-2007, 01:54 AM
None that I mow for are... Many wealthy around here, we don't have a Jersey type economy for sure, plus this is the middle of the US, plus this is an "older" community, plus there is a LOT of competition around here!

Have to agree with you. There is way to much competition around here also to make $80 to $100 buck for a half acre of mowing.

Ric3077
03-21-2007, 02:10 AM
There is competition everywhere...I got 4-5 flyers from lcos in the past 2 days alone. One dude was offering core aeration for my 15k sq ft yard for $38!!!! My rate on my lawn is $225. People lowball me all the time but I keep my prices high and I am swamped...actually I just hired a new employee today and am interviewing another..charge what you want to make and you will get it. We do not bag...when customers want it we charge $5/mower bag filled if we dump on site and $7/bag if we haul it off. In my town alone there must be over 30 LCO's, BUT there are 55,000 people in my town...let's say 15,000 are kids...that leaves 40,000 people...lets say 10,000 live in apts or condos (no lawn) that leaves 30,000 people....Ok so that leaves 1,000 customers per LCO...lets say HALF will always do their own lawn and never need an lco...ok so every lco in my town gets 500 customers if they want...that is way more than I can handle...competition does not even come into play...I don't even worry about it. While these numbers are not exact they are pretty close. I am sure most cities are similar. Also big cities like Boston, N.Y etc will have more competition...but guess what they also have more potential customers so it is still the same %.

SongBird LawnCare
03-21-2007, 02:13 AM
Ric3077

good break down of people/customers etc..

Ric3077
03-21-2007, 02:21 AM
Ric3077

good break down of people/customers etc..

:waving: Glad it made sense to someone!

topsites
03-21-2007, 05:00 AM
I never could figure out a price for bagging that worked well for me, especially hauling the stuff but either way, about my 5th year I stopped bagging completely.

The thing is 25 out of 36 is not even in the same ballpark, you were right to walk away from that, you gave her a good price that she should've jumped on and she didn't. Usually when they do that, I later realize how glad I am they gave me the ticket out of that lowballed up mess when they had me hook/line/sinker, they could've said Yes and I would've likely not even realized that I had quoted too good a price until it was too late (like way into the first time out there).

But no, not good enough, I didn't bend over backwards far enough or to their liking and ooopsie, I got outta that mess.

Now I won't touch a 1/2 acre for less than $40 and that's no bagging, but they still get me sometimes, it does crack me up when they 'have to think about it' or in some other way give me an ethical slip outta there lol, I just got out of a couple of good ones earlier this year, pretty much the same way, they had me but let me go (whew) lmao.

I probably shouldn't laugh, but I've done and sometimes still do my fair share of cheap work too.

thilawncare
03-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah we would get somewhere around 85-115 for somthing like that and an additional 100 per hour to clean up her woods.... thats with 2 walkers and a trimmer on property... you cant mow for peanuts i dont care where you live...

Sir mowsalot
03-21-2007, 02:07 PM
Yea i did the baggin thing my first two years in biz. but no more. To time consuming and a pita. BTW, i think your quote for that lawn was dirt cheap, and if she iddnt jump on it, then she is a problem customer, bigtime redflag. If she calls u back to tell you that you got the job i wouldnt do it, but that is just my opinion.

mastercut llc.
03-21-2007, 02:17 PM
With the mowers we have now, and the a good sharp high lift blade, I see no reason to bag. no bagging here either

WJW Lawn
03-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Bagging? Whats that?

Duekster
03-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Am I missing something?

$24 for 23K SF of Lawn?

Mr Priceless
03-21-2007, 03:04 PM
Yea i did the baggin thing my first two years in biz. but no more. To time consuming and a pita. BTW, i think your quote for that lawn was dirt cheap, and if she iddnt jump on it, then she is a problem customer, bigtime redflag. If she calls u back to tell you that you got the job i wouldnt do it, but that is just my opinion.

hell, i'd double the price if she called back, since IMO that's not EVEN CLOSE to professional bidding.:nono:

daveintoledo
03-21-2007, 03:35 PM
i bag only one proberty, i really discourage it ...... by using the three times the cost method..... to bag cost double, to bag and remove, cost tripple.....

grows so fast around here, i pretty much figure just double cuttng most yards half the year any way, so i include those thoughts in my quotes....

LwnmwrMan22
03-21-2007, 04:29 PM
You can never overbid for bagging.

mythntr
03-21-2007, 10:07 PM
we bag all our lawns. Its the only way up here. Ive tried mulching before, but have had complaints. Each crew makes 2 trips a day to the dump during peak growing season. Wouldnt know how to bid if we didnt bag. We run Walkers with the hydro dump system, so its not that bad.

SongBird LawnCare
03-21-2007, 11:54 PM
it certainly did make sense..

that seems accurate.

OMG
03-22-2007, 12:14 AM
Very few people are willing to pay what I would charge for me to bag.

In other words, I don't bag.

LawnMower
03-22-2007, 12:42 PM
I just ordered a Bob Cat Predator Pro with a bagging system. Iv mulched, double cut, gone over the yard with pack pack blowers. Nothing looks as good as a fertilized lawn that's been picked up. But in my aria, lawns grow so thick in the spring, its hard to make them look good with out picking it up. It takes us forever to clean up the property if were open mowing..

As far as price, you get as much as you can get. In august you wont be picking up much grass, and you will make all you money back.

Scagguy
03-22-2007, 01:11 PM
Very few people are willing to pay what I would charge for me to bag.

In other words, I don't bag.

You took the words right out of my mouth.

TheKingNJ
03-22-2007, 03:12 PM
didn't really bother to read your post, but as long as you get the job you didn't overbid.

supercuts
03-22-2007, 05:43 PM
wow, $36 to mow/bag and haul, my min is $35 and i dont offer bagging! to me bagging is a waste of time. i run a full schedual without it and it seems nobody wants to pay what the time is really worth for it. cant dump it here anymore too! i only have a bagger for spring/fall cleanups

ManorD24
03-22-2007, 06:37 PM
For the most part we just bag in the spring and then the fall when the leaves start in, other wise we just let it fly. There are afew that I have to catch all year. Some of my accounts, 1/4 acre or under its just as quick to catch as it would be to go over it trying to blow out clumps or double cut it. Plus the smaller lawns the grass ends up flying into beds.

brucec32
03-22-2007, 06:43 PM
A 32" wb isn't exactly a lighting fast machine when bagging or not. No idea on the size and other features of the lawn, but you might even be priced too low. Even a wider deck ztr might not finish quick enough to do it for $36.

Stick to your guns on price. There are always some yahoos out there who think every price is too high. They pull their numbers out of you know where.