PDA

View Full Version : What to do??

Raven386
03-21-2007, 01:14 AM
Ok, i need some help here. I want to get a new truck. i was looking at an 06 Ford F350 6.0 Diesel, Reg Cab, Long Bed, 12K miles. they were asking 28,900 for it. but i know theres been a lot of people here saying a lot of bad things about their 6.0.... heres my problem.
i have looked at KBB and they are saying my truck is 17K as a trade. its a 2006 2500HD 23K miles, long bed/reg cab,6.0 v8.but i still owe 20K +/- on it. so i guess i am really asking what should i do? should i tough it out and keep my truck. major reason i was looking into getting a diesel, is gas mileage. and i really want a diesel. i was just wondering if that was a good price for the ford? its mint. not even a scratch in the bedliner. i dont know if this made any sense, but i just wanted to hear others opinions on what i should do. i could either get the Ford now, or wait and hope something better comes a long like a Chevy w/ D-Max.

Rizzo
03-21-2007, 01:26 AM
The $3000 loss in your trade would pay for alot of gas... I have always been bad when it comes to keeping vehicles. I'm 35 and have owned nearly 30 different personal cars and trucks (including the ones bought for my wife). In my experience I would be much better off today if I would have driven each one for 5 years or so instead of giving in to the trading bug. If you put a bajillion miles a year on then maybe it would pay in the long run. But I think you would better off waiting if the diesel is the only reason.

Raven386
03-21-2007, 01:29 AM
ive put 23K + miles on it in 10 months. i cannot keep a truck for more than a year! actually just as i wrote that i thought....im going to outgrow that reg cab and have to trade that in for a quad or ext. i just feel like im going to kick myself in the azz if i wait and get even less for my truck. i just dont know anymore.... :hammerhead: :dizzy: :hammerhead: :dizzy:

Rizzo
03-21-2007, 01:38 AM
Once you get an extended cab or crew you will not want to go back to the regular cab again unless it's strictly for a work truck. That is quite a few miles in a year. Have you crunched the numbers with the gas mileage and price of gas to see what benifit trading would get you? You may just drive enough to make it worth the trade.

Raven386
03-21-2007, 01:41 AM
i havent really gotten an exact MPG for a ford w/ PS or a Chevy w/ Duramax. right now im getting nothing to the gallon. maybe 9 on the highway & 7-8 in town. it used to be a lot better, then i got new tires and it just went downhill.

Rizzo
03-21-2007, 01:46 AM
They don't look as cool but stock size tires usually get the best mpg...

Raven386
03-21-2007, 01:53 AM
i went from 245-265. just got a better tire for winter.i have 3 of my stock tires, one got killed by a chunk of metal. so im going to put those back on for now. i wish i could get some definete #'s on gas mileage for the trucks.
if i drive 30K miles a year. 30,000 / 350(miles per tank) = 85.71 X $80 (to fill up @ $2.71 gallon) = $6857 per year on gas.

LawnScapers of Dayton
03-21-2007, 07:48 AM
Don't trade it, sell it outright......... Trading is bad for the wallet. And just because KBB says it is worth that on a trade doesn't mean you will get it....

Then you will be in worst shape.

D

dozerman21
03-21-2007, 08:41 AM
If you're sure that you want to get rid of your truck, I would also try to sell it outright. There are a lot of nice used diesels on the market, you shouldn't have trouble finding one if you sell your truck.

I would either get a Duramax or Cummins over the PSD. The 6.0 is too much of a crap shoot for me. You might be able to find a low milage 7.3 in good shape if you want a Ford. I think the last year for those was '02, but I'm pretty sure that might be too old for ya!:)

TXNSLighting
03-21-2007, 08:03 PM
the last year was 03 actually, but if you get an 06 or 07 PS. then you will get a good one. the 07's especially. you can go either way, trade or sell. you got to figure when u trade you save some taxes, so just do what your confortable with. and definately try for atleast a super cab. i dont think i could survive with a reg cab.

Rizzo
03-21-2007, 08:11 PM
I agree with the other guys on selling out right. It should sell for at least your payoff if not a bit more if it's in clean shape.

Ric3077
03-21-2007, 08:13 PM
buy a Nissan Titan, better truck, costs less and will outlast any Ford.

mattfromNY
03-21-2007, 08:20 PM
You've got an '06 with 23k miles and factory warranty on it still, and you're going to let it go for 17k.... Your out of your mind.
do some searches on here, and see what some of the other members have recently purchased older trucks for. I paid $15000 and change for my '04 2500HD with 50k miles! I had to look around to get one for that price!!
I would definately look around the papers and ebay to see what they are selling for and get as much as you can.... DONT TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!

TKO Landscaping
03-21-2007, 08:31 PM
buy a Nissan Titan, better truck, costs less and will outlast any Ford.

That is a 1/2 ton. I would never think of downgrading from a 3/4 ton. :laugh:

markam70
03-21-2007, 10:38 PM
i went from 245-265. just got a better tire for winter.i have 3 of my stock tires, one got killed by a chunk of metal. so im going to put those back on for now. i wish i could get some definete #'s on gas mileage for the trucks.
if i drive 30K miles a year. 30,000 / 350(miles per tank) = 85.71 X $80 (to fill up @ $2.71 gallon) = $6857 per year on gas.
someone please correct me if i'm wrong here, but going to larger tires is going to cause a loss of power and the height difference will affect the speedometer and odometer. the larger tire will be making less revolutions and actually show less miles per tank.

the difference between a 245 and a 265 is a considerable difference

Raven386
03-21-2007, 11:09 PM
i knew there would be a difference, but i didnt thnk it would make this big of a difference in MPG! i did a search tonight and the closest thing to my truck in my area, was going for $25900 :hammerhead: so i printed that out to bring with me to dealerships when i go to trade mine. today i drove an 06 D-Max w/20K miles on it, it ran like sh*t, and i used a lot of gas in the few miles i drove. it had a 1/4 of a tank and i went approx. 15-20miles and when i went to get out i had a line above E. so...... do P/S get better gas mileage than the d-max? ( i know what i am starting!)

markam70
03-21-2007, 11:16 PM
i'm not sure how much difference it will actually make. i would think your mileage would be better than that. our v-10's are getting better mileage than you are.

Rizzo
03-21-2007, 11:18 PM
The tire size will make alot of difference in the performance, mpg, highway speedometer acuracy and odometer. Don't go by the gauge on a test drive for gas milage. Different vehicles gauges will go down faster at different levels of the tank. The newer vehicles are better that in the old days at reading the tank but they are still not that reliable between the full mark and the empty mark. My F150 on the red mark still has 7 gallons. I have never driven the Dmax trucks but I like them for some reason and have not heard many complaints. We have an E350 at work with the 7.3 PSD. It's actually on it's 3rd engine in 217000 miles.

markam70
03-21-2007, 11:29 PM
here's a link that gives you a size comparison...a 265/85/16 has a circumference of about 11" more than a 245/75/16 which is about 10% more. combine this with the power loss due to the larger tires, i would guess you maybe losing as much as 4-6 mpg.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Rizzo
03-21-2007, 11:32 PM
There you have it. Keep your truck and just put the origional tires on it or even new ones and you will save money!

Raven386
03-23-2007, 12:17 AM
ok, i saw the same truck as mine today, except it was a ext cab fully loaded. and it came into my head. what if i upgrade to a better truck without diesel. my truck is plenty powerful, with the 6.0 gasser.i could deal with keeping my truck for longer if i had the truck that had a bit of luxury especially for being an everyday driver. what does everyone thing of that? just upgrading to another gasser?

TXNSLighting
03-23-2007, 11:24 PM
my gosh, i went from my stock 265's to my 35's, and didnt lose any power! and my mileage dropped from 13 in town to 12 in town! wow thats a huge diffrence isnt it? no. maybe with a crappy gas engine. but it wont hurt that much in a diesel. this is why diesels are superior!!! gasser bad! diesel yay!!! ive had a bad day guys, im sorry for seemin assish.