PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for ads.lawnsite.com....................

Team-Green L&L
03-21-2007, 10:57 AM
Here we go again...I don't pay for high-speed to end up with no speed. Can we get this issue fixed Sean? The ads are not big files until there's 10GB of buttons that need to load every time you navigate to another page. Then it gets a little redundant.

Michael J. Donovan
03-21-2007, 11:20 AM
I don't seem to get that message when I am loading or navigating the site...we can surely check on it though

StBalor
03-21-2007, 01:19 PM
I know what you are talking about. Sometimes the page does not even load, just times out. I think it is a combination of all the buttons and how many people are on the site.
It does get a little annoying though. i usually just leave and try again later.

Team-Green L&L
03-21-2007, 02:06 PM
The message is in the "status" area at the bottom left and it causes the screen to take an unbelievable amount of time to load. This is recurring every time you go to a new page. Whether your posting, reading, or simply navigating. It is obviously from an insane amount of ads. Is there no end to the amount of ad space available on this site?

BSDeality
03-21-2007, 02:13 PM
Just run ad-block to filter them out. it'll cut load times down significantly too.

LindblomRJ
03-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Just run ad-block to filter them out. it'll cut load times down significantly too.

Thats what I do.

I also use firefox 2.0

BSDeality
03-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Thats what I do.

I also use firefox 2.0

bingo was his name-o

Charles
03-21-2007, 04:01 PM
I WAS having a problem every now and then. I then starting accessing the forum using a old link to LS I had in my favorites:

http://www.lawnsite.com/

This was a couple of weeks ago and the forum has been zipping along ....No more problems yet. No waiting for ads to load and no freezing up. I don't know why this link worked better. The forum runs faster

TurfEditor
03-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Reality check time . . .

Ad buttons do NOT slow down access to this (or any other) site. If they bug you, just ignore them.

If you are experiencing slow performance, the problem is 98% of the time your own, local access provider's server.

Remember that ad blocker software is operating on YOUR PC, so the speed of accessing blocked web sites is controlled by how fast your computer's processor can go. I can guarantee you that LawnSite's server is faster than your home computer.

David C

LindblomRJ
03-21-2007, 06:36 PM
That is my understanding. I am guessing there has been a fair amount of use as of lately.

BSDeality
03-21-2007, 09:54 PM
Reality check time . . .

Ad buttons do NOT slow down access to this (or any other) site. If they bug you, just ignore them.

If you are experiencing slow performance, the problem is 98% of the time your own, local access provider's server.

Remember that ad blocker software is operating on YOUR PC, so the speed of accessing blocked web sites is controlled by how fast your computer's processor can go. I can guarantee you that LawnSite's server is faster than your home computer.

David Creality check time. ad buttons DO slow down the site. whenever someone pulls up lawnsite.com it has to download all 900 of the ads. Those files have to be pulled off the servers diskdrive thousands of times per second. even if they're being stored in solid state memory (which I doubt) it still hogs up precious server processor I/O.

When someone's on a dialup line those ad's take several seconds to load, most people have broadband, but they still can clog up some bandwidth, especially when they have to be downloaded each time you refresh the page.

Ad blockers (when properly configured) can instruct the browser not to wait for the ads to download while it assembles the page. Those ads get loaded invisibly after the page has all the other information on it. They can also be programmed not to accept certain ads and block them from receiving them.

The bottom line is, when you're serving up 10's of thousands of ad files each second, things get saturated... bandwidth, CPU, disk drives, memory, caches

TurfEditor
03-22-2007, 12:11 PM
Slow access is a problem, and we want to do everything we can to make sure it's not caused from our end, but you simply can't blame it on ad buttons.

Each button is a couple of K. It would take over 200 buttons to equal 1 meg. Right now, there are 66 buttons on the page. That's around 350 K total. Even a dial up can zip that through.

If your high-speed connection is slowing down, it's not because of a measley 350 K of ad buttons.

DC

BSDeality
03-22-2007, 12:14 PM
In case anyone is interested in the math... 350K/4Kbs on dial-up = 87.5 seconds!

DLCS
03-22-2007, 09:22 PM
In case anyone is interested in the math... 350K/4Kbs on dial-up = 87.5 seconds!

Doesn't sound so zippy now, huh? LOL

BSDeality
03-22-2007, 09:29 PM
Doesn't sound so zippy now, huh? LOLI just realized it should be 40kbs not 4. so its really 8.75 seconds actually.

DLCS
03-22-2007, 11:39 PM
I just realized it should be 40kbs not 4. so its really 8.75 seconds actually.

...that would be too slow for me.