PDA

View Full Version : Question about sanding & painting trailer

ATL Lawn
03-21-2007, 02:38 PM
I got a new truck this year, red, so i want to repaint my open trailer to match (just regular red)

i wanted to know, exactly what kind of sand paper, (or drill attachment, or bit ect, air tool saner) to use to sand off the current paint, and then repait it with.

Thanks so much (links to the items needed would be appreciated)

:)

Dirt Digger2
03-21-2007, 06:21 PM
I got a new truck this year, red, so i want to repaint my open trailer to match (just regular red)

i wanted to know, exactly what kind of sand paper, (or drill attachment, or bit ect, air tool saner) to use to sand off the current paint, and then repait it with.

Thanks so much (links to the items needed would be appreciated)

:)

go to tractor supply and buy a syphon sand blaster and some sand...the sand blaster is a tube the goes into a buckest of sand and draws the sand up and shoots it out...pretty simple and only costs $25 plus the cost of the sand, we just sand blasted down a haybine...its works decent for removing flaky paint and most grease and grime. Then go to the paint aisle and find yourself some farmall/ih or ford red pain and have at it...i think brush painting looks fine but if you want to spray it on just make sure you get a quality paint sprayer.

Dirt Digger2
03-21-2007, 06:25 PM
heres a link what the sand blaster looks like...the metal tube goes in a bucket of sand blasting sand, the black tube connects to the gun and any 5gallon compressor should make it work.

http://www.campbellhausfeld.net/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&productId=53101&langId=-1

ATL Lawn
03-23-2007, 12:26 AM
thanks man

4curbappeal
03-23-2007, 02:24 AM
I just used an angle grinder with 3m sand blaster pads. It took me about an hour. I then cleaned, primed and painted. Looks pretty darn good and I didn't have to dick around w/ sand!!! Hope this helps!

SILVERSTREAK INC
03-23-2007, 11:55 AM
yeah id use a big scrubbin bubble one of those big wire wheel cups attached to the 4 or 6 inch angle grinder, super fast, then a wipedown with lacquer thinner and then paint

done quite a few trailers before and it works nice, the deck on one of mine is steel, so when i repainted the deck i used black with a roller, laid it super thick (enamel paint) and then used black beauty sand (black sand) and sprinkled it on the deck, brushed it over with an old broom

looks awesome and i have a no slip surface that hasnt worn off now in about 7 years

Dirt Digger2
03-23-2007, 12:21 PM
the only problem with wire brush and grinder is that its tough to get into the corners where moisture really likes to congregate. wire brush is my personal choice when we paint our farm equipment because it seems faster and hurts less then sandblasting, but if you have a lot of small areas and corners where a wire brush just won't work its the only way to go.

DodgeRam1985
03-23-2007, 01:16 PM
I would go with sandblasting, definitely the easiest and quickest IMO. It just does a great job at getting all the areas that aren't easily reached and takes a lot of back breaking labor out of it and just goes a lit quicker. Done right it can also have a very smooth texture.

mulchmaster
03-23-2007, 02:27 PM
I just did mine last week. I bought an air sander at TS and some discs. I went over the whole trailer and took off the loose paint and rust. Then I primed it with rustolium (sp) primer and painted it with rustolium semi gloss. Looks pretty good, I think. I also bought some expanded metal to go around the side rails of the trailer, it will help with mulch falling off.

Missel
03-29-2007, 01:17 PM
Don't try sanding it by hand. Contact a local reputable sandblasting company. You won't be able to reach all the important spots on the trailer by hand. If you miss these spots you will only have to re-do the trailer in a year or so. Make sure the guys blast right down to bare metal and have them use a good epoxy paint with a urethane top coat. You can get away with just epoxy but the paint will fade and become chalky after some time. Your trailer will look more professional this way.