PDA

View Full Version : 37 Hp Cub Cadet Tank

puppypaws
03-21-2007, 02:26 PM
I have a friend that picked up a new 72" 37 hp. Kawasaki Cub Cadet Tank yesterday, has anybody tried this mower and what are some of your thoughts. Will it be a fuel hog, I was told it was no worse than a 27 Kohler
on fuel but that is kinda hard to believe. Envy what do you think about this
monster?

GreenN'Clean
03-21-2007, 02:49 PM
Sounds like its going to be a beast on the cutting field.

puppypaws
03-21-2007, 09:38 PM
Sounds like its going to be a beast on the cutting field.It is kinda hard to say it appears no one knows anything about this mower.

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
03-21-2007, 10:10 PM
is it a efi motor or carb?

jtkplc
03-21-2007, 10:51 PM
is it a efi motor or carb?

It's a carb. I wish the new Kohlers and Kawasakis would have a high horsepower EFI engine. Maybe next year.

dcondon
03-21-2007, 10:54 PM
I bet it will be a great motor. We have the smaller Generac on our 72" TANK, it does good with low lift blades but sucks with high's.

superclyde007
03-21-2007, 11:32 PM
I have driven the 72" Tank w/37 hp Kaw. It is a beast. Wide open throttle at max. speed and engage the PTO and there was no noticeable rpm drop.
I would say the engine will be thirsty. I think it has 2 small intake valves and one large exhaust valve and a few other tricks according to what the dealer told me.

Envy Lawn Service
03-22-2007, 12:38 AM
I have a friend that picked up a new 72" 37 hp. Kawasaki Cub Cadet Tank yesterday, has anybody tried this mower and what are some of your thoughts. Will it be a fuel hog, I was told it was no worse than a 27 Kohler
on fuel but that is kinda hard to believe. Envy what do you think about this
monster?

I think they are ugly... LOL... :jester:

I haven't seen them in person or seen any 'real' pictures of the new style yet though.

I bet the 37hp is a BEAST.
I could use that this week with the scalping cleanups.
(scalping 4"+ of warm season down to 1.5" and throwing all clippings one direction)

That's the worst I've wanted more power in a long-long time... LOL...

puppypaws
03-22-2007, 08:32 AM
It's a carb. I wish the new Kohlers and Kawasakis would have a high horsepower EFI engine. Maybe next year.I made friends with one of the engineers at Kohler, I told him I wanted a 36 efi and he said they may have one ready by 2008. I would say it should have better
fuel economy and more power because of no throttle lag than the 37 Kawasaki.

tacoma200
03-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Does anyone have a link to the Kawasaki web site that has this motor and specs? I guess I'm out of the loop. I had heard of the new Kohlers but the 37 kaw came as a surprise to me.

jtkplc
03-22-2007, 08:42 AM
I made friends with one of the engineers at Kohler, I told him I wanted a 36 efi and he said they may have one ready by 2008. I would say it should have better
fuel economy and more power because of no throttle lag than the 37 Kawasaki.

I hope you're right. That would be very smart for them to do I think.

puppypaws
03-22-2007, 08:45 AM
I think they are ugly... LOL... :jester:

I haven't seen them in person or seen any 'real' pictures of the new style yet though.

I bet the 37hp is a BEAST.
I could use that this week with the scalping cleanups.
(scalping 4"+ of warm season down to 1.5" and throwing all clippings one direction)

That's the worst I've wanted more power in a long-long time... LOL...I think I will get him to bring it by my farm and put it through it's
paces just to see the difference in 37 hp. The thinner grass I cut in my area
does not give me a power problem so I actually believe I can still cut more
grass because of the 3 mph faster ground speed with the Super Z. Now it would be a totally different story in plush grass because the 37 hp would cut it's full 12 mph where the 28 efi would fall back. I still like the more powerful engines but I prefer efi totally to carburetors, there is really just no comparison. I would love to cut four inches off very plush grass and never hear the rpm's change.

puppypaws
03-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Does anyone have a link to the Kawasaki web site that has this motor and specs? I guess I'm out of the loop. I had heard of the new Kohlers but the 37 kaw came as a surprise to me.Try this and click on specifications.
http://www.cubcadetcommercial.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10401_17504_162768_43279_-1

J&R Landscaping
03-22-2007, 10:48 AM
From what I have heard, the kawasaki 37hp was in testing for a few years now. Its got the largest displacement so far among the big block engines. 999cc's 60.6 ft lbs of toqure@2400 rpm.

pugs
03-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Its not on their website yet that I have seen. The model number of it is FX1000. It is a 3 valve head as someone mentioned.

puppypaws
03-23-2007, 03:22 PM
From what I have heard, the kawasaki 37hp was in testing for a few years now. Its got the largest displacement so far among the big block engines. 999cc's 60.6 ft lbs of toqure@2400 rpm.This is a FX 1000 V model number and the numbers you have here
are 100% accurate. They said she is a horse but does like fuel.

lawnspecialties
03-23-2007, 05:03 PM
I was talking with PJ and the guys at Hustler about this very engine last year. Even speaking with Hustler on the phone, most of them played unaware of this Kawasaki. It had all the specs you'd think Hustler would want, especially vertical shaft.

I swear, if Cub, Exmark, Scag, Deere, and all the other mower manufacturers continue to LEAVE HUSTLER BEHIND in hp, you'll see a lot of LCO's slowly start to choose other brands. :angry:

puppypaws
03-23-2007, 06:27 PM
I was talking with PJ and the guys at Hustler about this very engine last year. Even speaking with Hustler on the phone, most of them played unaware of this Kawasaki. It had all the specs you'd think Hustler would want, especially vertical shaft.

I swear, if Cub, Exmark, Scag, Deere, and all the other mower manufacturers continue to LEAVE HUSTLER BEHIND in hp, you'll see a lot of LCO's slowly start to choose other brands. :angry:I talked with a engineer yesterday at Kohler and he said they had a 38 hp engine. I told him to go ahead and fuel inject it because a motor that size would drink fuel. I told him about the 37 Kawasaki, he then said there was a big company meeting he would be attending next Tuesday and that would be a good chance to inject some information about the lawn maintenance industry looking for a strong higher hp engine that would be good on fuel. I told him a fuel injected 38 hp engine would operate like a 40+ and he said that was a
definite fact but they better make sure they have heavy enough components
to handle that kind of power.

lawnspecialties
03-24-2007, 12:26 AM
......but they better make sure they have heavy enough components
to handle that kind of power.

That was a big point Hustler told me on the phone when I told them about this engine. They have a Cat diesel pushing a SuperZ but feel they'll have to "beef up" components to handle a 999cc Kawasaki?

I guess my biggest complaint with Hustler is how they're becoming one of the "weakest" powered commercial lines out there. I love the machines and love Kawasaki's but the biggest Kawasaki they offer is my present LC 26hp. While most everyone else out there at least offers the Kawasaki 29hp DFI. :confused:

Envy Lawn Service
03-24-2007, 12:48 AM
That was a big point Hustler told me on the phone when I told them about this engine. They have a Cat diesel pushing a SuperZ but feel they'll have to "beef up" components to handle a 999cc Kawasaki?

I guess my biggest complaint with Hustler is how they're becoming one of the "weakest" powered commercial lines out there. I love the machines and love Kawasaki's but the biggest Kawasaki they offer is my present LC 26hp. While most everyone else out there at least offers the Kawasaki 29hp DFI. :confused:

They did offer a larger Kawi at one time.

It might have been the 27hp L/C though.
But I do remember it was a wierd setup with an H-Shaft engine.

I don't think it sold real well and got dropped.

Most of these companies have to stick with what sells well, and we the commercial cutters (believe it or not) make up a small percentage of their sales.

puppypaws
03-24-2007, 06:56 AM
Most of these companies have to stick with what sells well, and we the commercial cutters (believe it or not) make up a small percentage of their sales.That is something very interesting, I would not have even considered LCO's being a small part of the buying force for commercial zero turn mowers.

Envy Lawn Service
03-24-2007, 11:19 AM
That is something very interesting, I would not have even considered LCO's being a small part of the buying force for commercial zero turn mowers.

I've been told several times by several different MFG's that regular homeowner purchases of commercial Z's makes up way over half of their annual sales.

Then you have the farmers, states, cities, towns, school systems, businesses with in-house maintentance, etc... then we make up what is left.

lawnspecialties
03-24-2007, 03:30 PM
They did offer a larger Kawi at one time.

It might have been the 27hp L/C though.
But I do remember it was a wierd setup with an H-Shaft engine.

I don't think it sold real well and got dropped.

Most of these companies have to stick with what sells well, and we the commercial cutters (believe it or not) make up a small percentage of their sales.

Yes, I used to have the 27 Kaw LC. It was a disaster. Since it had the horizontal shaft, Hustler used a gearbox. They were terrible. My first gearbox locked up at 67 hours. The second one somewhere in the mid 200 hr. range.

That's why I don't understand why they haven't jumped all over this vertical shaft 1000. But what do I know?:confused:

Envy Lawn Service
03-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Yes, I used to have the 27 Kaw LC. It was a disaster. Since it had the horizontal shaft, Hustler used a gearbox. They were terrible. My first gearbox locked up at 67 hours. The second one somewhere in the mid 200 hr. range.

That's why I don't understand why they haven't jumped all over this vertical shaft 1000. But what do I know?:confused:

My guess is that they don't have the room to mount it on their Super Z.

Not without a re-design of the rear of the machine...

lawnspecialties
03-24-2007, 06:43 PM
My guess is that they don't have the room to mount it on their Super Z.

Not without a re-design of the rear of the machine...

You may be right, but.....

if they can put a liquid-cooled motor back there with a radiator or even find a way to stick a Cat diesel back there, I suspect they could put this new motor back there if they wanted to.

Envy Lawn Service
03-24-2007, 11:02 PM
You may be right, but.....

if they can put a liquid-cooled motor back there with a radiator or even find a way to stick a Cat diesel back there, I suspect they could put this new motor back there if they wanted to.

The L/C motor was a different orientation.

The diesel is on a different frame.

The could fit this new engine if they wanted to...
However, they would probably need to design a new frame for it.

On items like frames, MFG's want to tool up and build a million... even more if they can.

ProStreetCamaro
03-24-2007, 11:17 PM
HP HP HP is all I ever hear now days. While everybody is wanting more HP a friend of ours with a 52" WB with a velky and him weighting 280 and a 12hp engine is out cutting and doing just fine.

I am going to stir up the pot here. If you want a powerful engine that lasts and makes more power then go with Kohler. I have owned tons of kohlers and tons of kaws and the Kohlers have always out performed the kaws. HP for HP the kohlers have always made more power for us. I think this boils down to an american engine (more torque) VS and import engine (less torque). To me the kohlers make more torque than the kaws do.

Example: Our 48" lazer Z HP has a 18hp kohler command pro with 2,400 hours on it. Its very rare when anything will slow it down. Our Cub Tank M48 has a 23HP Kaw that only has 250 hours on it and it simply is out performed by the little 18hp kohler on a daily basis. This same thing has held true for us over all these years.

AbsoluteH&L
03-24-2007, 11:26 PM
HP HP HP is all I ever hear now days. While everybody is wanting more HP a friend of ours with a 52" WB with a velky and him weighting 280 and a 12hp engine is out cutting and doing just fine.

Hey I still got one of those. I don't trust the gear box so I never had a velky, but the 12.5 Kawi always out performed the 16 Briggs. Those were my first two mowers and I still have and use the kawi one now and then.

pugs
03-26-2007, 08:00 PM

I am going to stir up the pot here. If you want a powerful engine that lasts and makes more power then go with Kohler. I have owned tons of kohlers and tons of kaws and the Kohlers have always out performed the kaws. HP for HP the kohlers have always made more power for us. I think this boils down to an american engine (more torque) VS and import engine (less torque). To me the kohlers make more torque than the kaws do.

Example: Our 48" lazer Z HP has a 18hp kohler command pro with 2,400 hours on it. Its very rare when anything will slow it down. Our Cub Tank M48 has a 23HP Kaw that only has 250 hours on it and it simply is out performed by the little 18hp kohler on a daily basis. This same thing has held true for us over all these years.

I agree with you on the HP thing. 20HP was fine for 60" decks. Now everyone wants 30+...

However I think there is either something wrong with your 23HP Kawasaki, or maybe just the difference in machines is causing the perceived difference in power. The difference in decks, the difference in drive systems getting the power to the Deck. I think your LHP uses 1 belt while the Tank uses 2. Also a difference in hydraulic components.

ProStreetCamaro
03-26-2007, 09:08 PM
I agree with you on the HP thing. 20HP was fine for 60" decks. Now everyone wants 30+...

However I think there is either something wrong with your 23HP Kawasaki, or maybe just the difference in machines is causing the perceived difference in power. The difference in decks, the difference in drive systems getting the power to the Deck. I think your LHP uses 1 belt while the Tank uses 2. Also a difference in hydraulic components.

Yeah your probably right. the hydro system on the lazer seems small compared to the pumps and motors on the Tank. Plus the Tank with me on it weights 1,300 pounds.