PDA

View Full Version : Sick of landscape light dist.

Meadowbrook
03-21-2007, 05:59 PM
I'm about tired of calling lighting distributors & getting nowhere. I've called a bunch of places including Froglights & Best Quality and requested pricesheets & catologs. But I've gotten nothing, heard nothing back & get answering machines when I call. Who here knows of a lighting distributor I can call that will get me somewhere? I need pricing & style sheets because people are requesting it with their landscapes......I can bid the job, but not the lights....and they want lights. Let me know, I need help.

Chris

seolatlanta
03-21-2007, 06:34 PM
Do you have a local distributor you could call on-A John Deere landscapes or something like that?

There is a link to www.clarolux.com on the side of this page or you could try

www.floridaoutdoorlighting.com.You will definitely get a response from them but I would suggest looking local if you need something immediate and also if you ever need help or have problems with product.

Just my .02-good luck!

NightScenes
03-21-2007, 06:46 PM
You can also check www.terradek.com . Gerry De La Vega is a good guy who carries a lot of manufactures.

Good luck,

Duekster
03-21-2007, 06:47 PM
Thats too bad, I called mine and he offered me a free trip to California.

klkanders
03-21-2007, 07:22 PM
Ditto on what Paul said. Terradek is a great distributor who is always willing to help! Quick and safe shipping also.

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-21-2007, 08:02 PM
In your area call Wolf Creek Suppliers. Great Kichler, Hadco and Unique distributors. They just hored a great sales rep, I won't mention any names. I am a distributor in Cincinnati, Ohio but if you are lookingfor local, Wolf Creek is your place.

Good Luck!

NightScenes
03-21-2007, 10:49 PM
OOPS:dizzy: I messed up on this one.

Oh, don't forget about Doug at Nite Tyme Illuminations. He can get you all taken care of as well.

Doug, I sent you an email and haven't heard back.

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Paul,

I have been running out of space in my website, bummer huh? I'll call you later today! How's junior?

Pro-Scapes
03-22-2007, 08:42 AM
I'm about tired of calling lighting distributors & getting nowhere. I've called a bunch of places including Froglights & Best Quality and requested pricesheets & catologs. But I've gotten nothing, heard nothing back & get answering machines when I call. Who here knows of a lighting distributor I can call that will get me somewhere? I need pricing & style sheets because people are requesting it with their landscapes......I can bid the job, but not the lights....and they want lights. Let me know, I need help.

Chris

Good luck on froglights he has been promising me info for about a year now. BQL (best quality lights) is a manufacture so i doubt your going to get much info from them as far as pricing but they should of at least reffered you to a dist. My emails to clarolux have gone unanswered. I am interested in seeing them... Dave who do you email there I got lindseys card but she wont reply.

We buy from florida outdoor lighting and southern outdoor lighting.... I dont think you will go wrong with any of the dist mentioned above... I think it says alot about doug tho and him reffering you to a local dist instead of saying hey buy from me. Dont discard Doug tho he has some great pricing.

NightScenes
03-22-2007, 09:50 AM
Jr. is doing well, gonna have a baby next Wednesday (it's supposed to be a girl). He's about to head up my maintenance division. We're buying another truck and rigging up a truck for maintenance only.

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-22-2007, 10:05 AM
Awesome...tell him good luck!!! Okay, back to distribution...

I think it is important to find a distributor who is into the business.
There are distributors out there who are strictly business men who see landscape lighting market as a great investment. Then there are national chains who just hire some guy who used to be in irrigation to run their lighting dept. Then there are the landscape lighting guys who run/own a distributor. These guys are going to be passionate and want to make sure that the contractors they are working with are doing lighting right, safe and making money at it. But then they also have to be willing to stock alot of material. There are distributors out there with 30 lines, how can you support 30 lines? Then there are those who only have one line, not a good idea either; it limits selection and flexiblity. Find a distributor with a lighting background, with 3-10 lines, and someone who is willing to let you see his/her warehouse and do a walk through, look at the depth of material, then see if he'll sit down for an hour and share his ideas and new products with you. I offer one on one seminars lately for guys new to the business and for those who just want to catch up on the newest and latest products and ideas. Thats very important. There are guys who have been doing this for 20 years and may not realize some things they could be doing to save money, etc...

Your distibutor should be like a partner, he should call you about new bulbs that just came out, if copper prices just jumped, follow up on quotes, basically have time to help you!!!

wurkn with amish
03-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Another one close to you would be New Horizon Distributors
ph# 866-351-8588
ask for Todd or Paul
Probally the best service I've had.
tell 'em Bruce sent ya!

Meadowbrook
03-22-2007, 05:48 PM
I'll check everybody out, thanks guys. I really appreciate the help! I also received info from CLL (California Landscape Lighting), thanks guys! Also, has anyone used CLL at all?

Chris

Dreams To Designs
03-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Which County is the Dover you live in located? Check for a Cast distributor, Kichler or Focus in your area. You may also find Unique or Hadco at some of the chain Nursery supplies as well.

Kirk

extlights
03-22-2007, 10:01 PM
We haven't dealt with a regular "lvl distributor" for about 4 years now. We actually developed a great relationship with a large lighting showroom in our area. I'm not sure if anyone else has done this, but for us it works out very well.

We have our own rack space in the warehouse dedicated only to the products that we order. We work out pricing every winter with the manufacturers rep. and the store's G.M. We then place an order before the season that we think will be large enough to get us to the middle of summer... (minus any specialty lights of course.) The nice thing is that we have it set to where if a certain fixture is getting low, they automatically re-order a certain amount....this way we always have product and never have to wait on an order.

The other perk for us, is that we share advertising. We have advertising all over their showroom, and our name is always on their brochures and commercials. That in itself saves us a lot of money in our advertising budget....actually it's the only advertising we do anymore.

Like I said, it's just something that worked for us. They actually approached us about doing this, but that's not saying that any lvl company couldn't approach a good showroom and pitch the idea. It's been a win-win situation for us and our showroom.

NightScenes
03-23-2007, 12:07 AM
I'll check everybody out, thanks guys. I really appreciate the help! I also received info from CLL (California Landscape Lighting), thanks guys! Also, has anyone used CLL at all?

Chris

CLL is top notch. Talk to Clay and he can get you taken care of.

NightScenes
03-23-2007, 12:11 AM
We haven't dealt with a regular "lvl distributor" for about 4 years now. We actually developed a great relationship with a large lighting showroom in our area. I'm not sure if anyone else has done this, but for us it works out very well.

We have our own rack space in the warehouse dedicated only to the products that we order. We work out pricing every winter with the manufacturers rep. and the store's G.M. We then place an order before the season that we think will be large enough to get us to the middle of summer... (minus any specialty lights of course.) The nice thing is that we have it set to where if a certain fixture is getting low, they automatically re-order a certain amount....this way we always have product and never have to wait on an order.

The other perk for us, is that we share advertising. We have advertising all over their showroom, and our name is always on their brochures and commercials. That in itself saves us a lot of money in our advertising budget....actually it's the only advertising we do anymore.

Like I said, it's just something that worked for us. They actually approached us about doing this, but that's not saying that any lvl company couldn't approach a good showroom and pitch the idea. It's been a win-win situation for us and our showroom.

Dave, I also do business with a local showroom, though it sounds like yours is really doing a great job for you. My local showroom does not do so good at keeping stock, promoting my company and things that make yours so good. My other distributors do very well when it comes to pricing, service other things. If a contractor can set up a relationship with a showroom, like you have, that's great!!

Pro-Scapes
03-23-2007, 08:56 AM
Dave, I also do business with a local showroom, though it sounds like yours is really doing a great job for you. My local showroom does not do so good at keeping stock, promoting my company and things that make yours so good. My other distributors do very well when it comes to pricing, service other things. If a contractor can set up a relationship with a showroom, like you have, that's great!!

Paul do you actually buy from them or are you just getting refferals from them. I want to approach 2 local lighting showrooms (same place just 2 diff locations) and was tryning to think of an incentive. I offer a financial incentive for other refferals but what would you give another business besides refferals in return?

NightScenes
03-23-2007, 09:02 AM
The financial incentive that you give them is that when they refer people to you, you will buy the materials from them. You don't buy wire from them though. See what major brand they can carry: Kichler and Hadco are two names that showrooms sometimes carry. I buy around 30k from my local showroom per year.

poiuy qwerty
03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Call Lightcraft east - Jim Mink
Call Aquarius Irrigation - Any Branch

ClaroLux Lighting
03-23-2007, 09:52 AM
Billy wrote: My emails to clarolux have gone unanswered. I am interested in seeing them... Dave who do you email there I got lindseys card but she wont reply.

Billy, this is Lindsay with ClaroLux... I apologize if we had a communication breakdown. You requested information about a month ago. I sent you catalogs and a price list. You then sent me an email saying that you were interested in some of our products, but that I could not call you because you were hearing impaired, and we could only correspond via email. I sent you a couple emails since then trying to touch base to see if you had any more questions, and I haven't heard back. (The signature of your email to me is pasted below, where you said you were hearing impaired).

Billy Bradford
Integrity Outdoor Lighting
www.IntegrityOutdoorLighting.com

ps im deaf so you have to stick to the emails

Billy, again I apologize for the communication breakdown, but the only way I knew to contact you was via email. We recieved the email from you on February 20th, and my response to your email answering all of your questions was sent back the same day. Feel free to send me an email any time. We have 4 simple ways to order: online (with contractor login and password) www.ClaroLux.com , email,fax, or phone. I would be more than happy to assist you, and any other landscape lighting professional. My email is LAdcock@ClaroLux.com Thanks :rolleyes:

Team-Green L&L
03-23-2007, 09:57 AM
NiteTyme, sorry I haven't called you lately. I've been swamped, but I'll get with you after the spring "hell" is over.

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-23-2007, 09:57 AM
Man o man there are alot of distributors out there!!! When I opened my doors 10 years ago there was a screaming for distributors, now it seems there is a 4 distributors on each corner, the showrooms now want to learn how to design and sell landscape lighting, electrical unions are pushing legislation, electrical distributors want to distribute low voltage when 10 years ago they wanted nothing to do with it, irrigation distributors are hire sales rep who just sell lighting, john deere is in the game...wow...

NightScenes
03-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Doug, this industry is just starting to take off as well. My business has increased about 1000% in 5 years.

Meadowbrook
03-23-2007, 10:35 AM
Man o man there are alot of distributors out there!!! When I opened my doors 10 years ago there was a screaming for distributors, now it seems there is a 4 distributors on each corner, the showrooms now want to learn how to design and sell landscape lighting, electrical unions are pushing legislation, electrical distributors want to distribute low voltage when 10 years ago they wanted nothing to do with it, irrigation distributors are hire sales rep who just sell lighting, john deere is in the game...wow...

Hahaha......almost like landscapers!

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-23-2007, 10:38 AM
I guess its just that i am so pationate about the industry I am scared about the wrong people getting into the business for the wrong reasons. And even more scary, the wrong untrained people training new people. There are outside sales people out there that just took kichler's 101 program and are training contractors to do jobs. There are manufacturers out there telling contractors to bury 22 feet of 12 guage under par 36 well lights instead of teaching them the basics of voltage drop, etc...

Do you think brand XXX cares about the industry or selling as many par 36 well lights and bi pin wall washes. I'm starting to see some real scary stuff out there and it pisses me off. And they think they are doing the world a favor because their stuff is made of brass!!!

The more distributors and the more manafacturers there are will make the industry just look whorey for a while...just my 2 cents!!!

NiteTymeIlluminations
03-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Have you ever over heard a distributor or manufacturer say this to a contractor..."oh low voltage is so easy to do you are missing out on a huge market..."? I know you have!!! That really makes me mad!!!

At trade shows when a guy tells me he wants to get into landscape lighting I always tell him or her..."well there is alot to learn, some manufacturers will tell you the opposite but if you want to do its professionally there is alot ot learn. Planting a tree isnt going to burn someones house down but an incorrectly installed light can..."

Learning lighting takes an investment that most people arent willing to make but I guess my problem is it they get into it anyway because there is always a distributor or manufacturer who is willing to give them the 10 minute run over with him or her.

Boy I am probably making some enemies right now

NightScenes
03-23-2007, 10:59 AM
You are right Doug. We all see it everywhere. I see the biggest problem with landscapers and irrigators who let untrained field workers install lighting. I have found fixtures where the wires are just twisted together and duct taped!! Not even a wire nut!!! Of course, I go in and fix it and then sell more lighting. I'm afraid though, that someone might get hurt. I found an article in the paper last year that said a house burned down do to a "malfunctioning outdoor electrical lighting system". I bet that the system malfunctioned do to poor installation. I have yet to see a properly designed and installed system have any safety problems.

Pro-Scapes
03-23-2007, 04:41 PM
lawn monkeys ar everywhere and they hurt a great industry. Lady asked me for an estimate yesterday and I gave her price of 70 per cut.

She freaked ... 1.5 acre lake front lot moderate trimming propbably an hour and a half to 2 hours and she said shes paying 37 bucks now... looks like crap too imagine that.

Lets all pray that lighting doesnt take this same turn. I am getting lowballed left and right with the landscape co. Reputation and good work only go so far. When someone comes in half the price all too many clients just see $$$$$ signs.

Lightscapes
03-30-2007, 10:27 PM
Chris, call Chris at Watson Irrigation right up in Harrisburg. Everything you are looking for and more. CAST, Hadco, Hanover Lantern, Kichler, KIM, IlluminFX, Integral, Nightscaping...

www.WatsonIrrigationSupply.com

717-238-9730

Pro-Scapes
03-31-2007, 10:38 AM
Have you ever over heard a distributor or manufacturer say this to a contractor..."oh low voltage is so easy to do you are missing out on a huge market..."? I know you have!!! That really makes me mad!!!

At trade shows when a guy tells me he wants to get into landscape lighting I always tell him or her..."well there is alot to learn, some manufacturers will tell you the opposite but if you want to do its professionally there is alot ot learn. Planting a tree isnt going to burn someones house down but an incorrectly installed light can..."

Learning lighting takes an investment that most people arent willing to make but I guess my problem is it they get into it anyway because there is always a distributor or manufacturer who is willing to give them the 10 minute run over with him or her.

Boy I am probably making some enemies right now

Im deaf and I have "heard" this doug... Manufactures are business and need sales. They push thier wares like car salesman will sell thier dying mother a new car just to get a sale.

Alot (not you) of distributors have approached me in this same manner you speak of. Claiming how EASY the money is. Lighting is an absolute CRAP load of work. From the meeting and or demos before the proposal to the writing of a nice clear cut detailed proposal unique to each client... to the drawing of the plans... the installation... the documentaion and records a real proffesional provides to the service calls and backing up your work.

All too many distributors push for lawn monkey lighting... stick em in and get paid. While true (and its sad) you can cut your work load in over half by doing the daisy chained 2 runs of 12 ga 150 ft each with 150w each run on a 300w trans and get paid but as you said thats only going to hurt the industry. For some reason this year our work load for the landscape co has shifted away from mowing it seems. Lighting is showing more intrest along with landscape installs. I hope thats a good thing because eventually (hopefully next year) we can do lighting alone

Markf
04-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Gentlemen,

We wish to do "it" right. My son and I are well aware of the commitment required. However, were did you get your training? Are you a licensed electrician? I have a mechanical engineering background so I understand the basics of electrical theory. Any help would be appreciated.

In advance, thank you.

Mark Fothe

NightScenes
04-04-2007, 06:22 PM
Hello Mark and welcome aboard. I am a former electrician but as such, really didn't know squat about low voltage lighting. I have attended classes by Kichler, Cast, and Unique as well as plenty of OJT. This forum will help you in many ways. If you have a question, do a search on this site and I'm sure that it has been answered. If it hasn't, please ask away and I know you'll probably get more answers than you want.

There are also some books on the subject that you and your son should read and you will also find those titles when you do your search.

Good luck and God bless,

Mike & Lucia
04-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Welcome Mark. There is much to learn here. You could spend a month reading through some of the great educational material here. The best in the biz sharing thoughts and ideas, both technical and design.

I noticed you are in Conn. You may want to reach out to Equinox Landscape as he posted back in February that there is a LV license required in CT. You'll find his post in a thread called "AOLP and NJ Laws".

Good luck.

Mike

Markf
04-09-2007, 05:50 PM
Thanks for welcoming me to the site. I trust everybody had a blessed Easter.
Now that some time has past and Froglights has not answered my original thread from 3/8/07 (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=178107), even after I spoke with him on the phone, I do not mind stating that Froglights did tell me that LV was no problem even if you needed a licensed electrician that since it was easy enough to do, I should go ahead and wire the job on the QT. Just keep it quiet. I personally believe the advice like that is extremely harmful to give especially to a neophyte who does not know any better.

NiteTyme: Thanks for the PM's.

Mark

NightScenes
04-09-2007, 06:00 PM
I wonder if he would be willing to pay your fine if you were caught. I know that they are handing out fines in New Jersey up to $10,000. You would have to sell a lot of lights to make up that kind of change.

Ramairfreak98ss
04-12-2007, 09:19 PM
i asked froglights for a catalog sent to me twice, never got one:confused:

and just today i tried to email them on their site, ISS ERROR!

ChampionLS
04-12-2007, 11:47 PM
I have their catalog. It's the same as their website, just in hardcopy.

Frog Lights, LLC
04-13-2007, 02:20 PM
I sent you a pm. I do not locate your request but please call and I will see to it personally that one is sent. Noel

Frog Lights, LLC
04-13-2007, 02:22 PM
Markf.
We had a conversation and I invited you to our show room. I never said anything about "QT" I did indicate this was a great business and I would be pleased to use my time to show you how to install the lights!
Noel

Frog Lights, LLC
04-13-2007, 02:34 PM
Please watch for the introduction of our new paver lights. (now in stock) Nolonger is it necessary to install cheap plastic fixtures that burn out every other day. Our LED technology has a projected life of 15-20 years.
No need to cut the pavers they come in 4 x4, 6x6, 4 x8, 6x9
Power drain .43 to 2.2 watts max. depending on size
no hot spots in the block nice even color.
water proof -- sealed --insect proof
does not yellow with the UV rays from the sun.
does not look like a tail light no glare
This high end product is only sold thru distributors
Noel

Pro-Scapes
04-15-2007, 03:27 PM
Real lighting in the proffesional form is hardley "easy enough to do" it takes a great deal of planning. Night time site visits along with a commitment to doing things the right way. If you are not licensed in your state and they require one I would reccomend getting with someone who is licensed and ask them about thier refferal program.

All too often I hear of dist and manufactures telling guys how easy this is and how much money they can make. Its a great deal of work and if you wish to do it right it takes an investment both of your time and financially.

Markf
04-24-2007, 03:56 PM
Markf.
We had a conversation and I invited you to our show room. I never said anything about "QT" I did indicate this was a great business and I would be pleased to use my time to show you how to install the lights!
Noel

I respectfully disagree with you. I know what was said because of the mental reaction that I had. I will not be visiting you at your place of business. However, thank you for the invitation. I have received literature from a distributor on this forum.

Mark

Chris J
04-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Looking for a distributor? I just witnessed a distributor take a young guy straight to the top of the food chain at the last Kichler incentive trip in Panama by winning the "contractor of the year" award. He did this by getting the materials to him when he needed it, and by also advising him on what materials he needed. I am a personal testimonial that this distributor is very, very, responsive to your needs. He gets it there quick, and he is also knowledgeable about all of the lines... Give him a call at 513-242-8963.
He will increase your business profitability exponentially!

Chris J

Chris J
04-27-2007, 01:52 AM
The financial incentive that you give them is that when they refer people to you, you will buy the materials from them. You don't buy wire from them though. See what major brand they can carry: Kichler and Hadco are two names that showrooms sometimes carry. I buy around 30k from my local showroom per year.

Paul, I don't see how this works... If I'm the owner of a show room that carries landscape lighting (and getting it at cost), why would I wan't to give you all of my money? In other words, If I've already got the customer in my store, and have sold them on the idea of landscape lighting, why would the show room need you? Why couldn't they pay one of their employees $10/hr to install it? Sure you could sell them on the idea of quality design and service for a while, but business is business. The show room already has the customer, and the show room has a quality salesperson. Why do they really need you? I've been down this road before with a major showroom, and this is what happened to me: The retailer figured out that it would be cheeper to let their guys install it at an hourly rate. This is not a good plan for long term income in my opinion.

Chris J

Eden Lights
04-27-2007, 02:14 AM
Paul, I don't see how this works... If I'm the owner of a show room that carries landscape lighting (and getting it at cost), why would I wan't to give you all of my money? In other words, If I've already got the customer in my store, and have sold them on the idea of landscape lighting, why would the show room need you? Why couldn't they pay one of their employees $10/hr to install it? Sure you could sell them on the idea of quality design and service for a while, but business is business. The show room already has the customer, and the show room has a quality salesperson. Why do they really need you? I've been down this road before with a major showroom, and this is what happened to me: The retailer figured out that it would be cheeper to let their guys install it at an hourly rate. This is not a good plan for long term income in my opinion.

Chris J

Business is not Business. Design and Service is one business and Quality salesman with $10.00 per hour labor is another business. While you may take any path you wish your sure to become a commodity.

Chris J
04-27-2007, 02:26 AM
i asked froglights for a catalog sent to me twice, never got one:confused:

and just today i tried to email them on their site, ISS ERROR!

Hey Dude,
could you please remove that crap from your signature page? I am really sick of looking at your freakin truck!

Chris J
04-27-2007, 02:47 AM
Well, I guess everyone has their own opinion. Some good, and some not so good. To each his own in his own market.......But I'd really like to see you come down here and try that crap.

Chris J

Chris J
04-27-2007, 03:11 AM
Business is not Business. Design and Service is one business and Quality salesman with $10.00 per hour labor is another business. While you may take any path you wish your sure to become a commodity.

Well, I apparantly pissed you off. Sorry, but so be it..
Let your arrogance guide you however you wish my friend!:weightlifter:

Chris J

NightScenes
04-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Chris, too many margaritas does not make for good posts on the forum. And what's up with that name of yours (2screwed)? Are you not feeling loved or has your buddy Greg got you going?

As Eden Lights stated, the showroom laborer is not a lighting designer. Also the showroom just puts my information into the lighting package that they put together for the interior lighting design. If the client calls me, I order my materials from the showroom (if I can wait for God knows how long to get the materials). They make their money and I get a happy client.

Chris J
04-27-2007, 11:37 AM
It was Segrams and Ginger Ale, not margaritas, and I'm feeling better now. I just have a terrible head ache. I give up on this topic.

Chris J